Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Heat trade Shawn Marion for Jermaine O'Neal

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml#7

Quote:
The Raptors have dealt the veteran centre along with Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, a deal that gives Toronto some financial flexibility this summer and one they hope injects some defence, rebounding and athleticism to a team free-falling through the NBA Eastern Conference standings.

Toronto is also sending a conditional draft pick to the Heat and getting cash considerations in return, according to league sources. Marion, 30, is a 6-7 forward who has averaged 12 points and nine rebounds for the Heat this year, starting 36 games and averaging 36 minutes per game. In his 10th NBA season he spent eight years in Phoenix and about one full season in Miami he is a free agent this summer after a contract that pays him $17,810,000 this year.

The long-rumored deal will give the Heat a center, filling one of its biggest weaknesses. Jermaine O'Neal's contract runs through next season and will pay him $23 million in 2009-10. Marion, earning $18.4 million this season, has a contract expiring after this season, and the Heat had not made any recent attempt to re-sign him.

Discuss
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Heat trade Shawn Marion for Jermaine O'Neal

I really was against this trade from the start, and liked Marion's defensive versatility... but I hope Riley made the best move. I'm sure the real kicker was getting a first rounder from Toronto, and also getting Moon who can be a serviceable fill in at starting SF.

To look at the bright side of this trade... In 2010, the Heat could likely re-sign O'Neal for a much lower contract, and still go after the second superstar to pair with Wade.

Hopefully JO stays healthy and Moon really works hard for his upcoming new contract, and the Heat make a strong playoff push.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

One other thing I should add... Does anyone think this will open up a spot for Beasley to play SF against certain teams as the starter?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

What a horrible deal for the Heat.... they have no chance to land Boozer now! not a great trade... Jermaine O'Neal is done.... he hasn't been a productive player since 2006....
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
What a horrible deal for the Heat.... they have no chance to land Boozer now! not a great trade... Jermaine O'Neal is done.... he hasn't been a productive player since 2006....

I'm not a complete fan of the trade... but if the best we could hope to get this summer is Boozer... I suddenly like this trade.

I like Boozer, nothing against him, I really think he's a one of the franchise cornerstones of a team, but the truth is, we already have 2 great PFs. Their names are Michael Beasley & Udonis Haslem, no need to add another.

And even if we are going to add another PF, I like the 2010 free agent crop a whole lot better: Bosh/Stoudamire > Boozer. Atleast those guys are closer to being able to play C, as they've both done it for stretches in their careers already. Boozer is not even close to being able to play C, using any lineup combo at all.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

One other thing I just thought about that I found funny. We now have a full 5-Man lineup of undrafted talents:

PG- Quinn
SG- Moon
SF- Diawara
PF- Haslem
C- Anthony
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
One other thing I should add... Does anyone think this will open up a spot for Beasley to play SF against certain teams as the starter?

NO. At least not this year. He still has a lot to learn on that side of the court. But i could see him maybe get a few mun at SF, from time, to time, depending on the opposing SF. Eventually i expected Spo to experiment with Beasley at SF, unless he has tried it in practice & just did not like what he saw.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:

What makes you think Pat wanted Boozer? There is need for him with Beasley, & Haslem playing the 4. + Pat rather go after a Bosh/Amare in 2010, instead of another small PF who cant play defense.

Last edited by Lord Leoshes : 02-13-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
One other thing I just thought about that I found funny. We now have a full 5-Man lineup of undrafted talents:

PG- Quinn
SG- Moon
SF- Diawara
PF- Haslem
C- Anthony

Kind of like last year that we had a STARTING lineup of D-League players.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
Kind of like last year that we had a STARTING lineup of D-League players.

Don't remind me
Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Don't remind me

I feel you buddy, not good. It's like some messed up flash backs. I still remember are 1st win in 1988 against the Clips. It was not pritty.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I really was against this trade from the start, and liked Marion's defensive versatility... but I hope Riley made the best move. I'm sure the real kicker was getting a first rounder from Toronto, and also getting Moon who can be a serviceable fill in at starting SF.

To look at the bright side of this trade... In 2010, the Heat could likely re-sign O'Neal for a much lower contract, and still go after the second superstar to pair with Wade.

Hopefully JO stays healthy and Moon really works hard for his upcoming new contract, and the Heat make a strong playoff push.

The staying healthy thing is the big question... if Jermaine O'Neal is healthy a great deal for Miami... and I certainly like the way Riley got more out of the deal than just Marion and Banks for him...

...just hope he can get back some of what he was.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Quote:

Why does the HEAT need another pf about Haslem's and Beasley's size? I would expect Beasley to be a better pf than Boozer anyway in another year or two.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #14
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
NO. At least not this year. He still has a lot to learn on that side of the court. But i could see him maybe get a few mun at SF, from time, to time, depending on the opposing SF. Eventually i expected Spo to experiment with Beasley at SF, unless he has tried it in practice & just did not like what he saw.

Picture Beasley trying to defend a Melo... or even better a LeBron.

...going against a good sf.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reilly
Picture Beasley trying to defend a Melo... or even better a LeBron.

...going against a good sf.

I could, but i could only picture him for about 3 or 4 minutes cause that's as long as he will last on the court till he gets in foul trouble. & then be siting on the bench with that stupid confused look on his face.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: