Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Teams with cap space in 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Why don't we sign a big name F.A. and after the signing re sign our players with the bird rights?

We can do that too I'm guessing. I just wanted people to see how much better our team looks with a half decent bench behind it.

In that case re-sign Marion, sign Odom or whoever and use the Larry Bird rule for everyone else we need to re-sign.

We really need to get Delfino and Rasho back. I think they were major factors in our success. Getting Moon back would be nice as well.

Does Delfino count for the Bird exception? We have his rights and are able to make a qualifying offer this offseason.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
We can do that too I'm guessing. I just wanted people to see how much better our team looks with a half decent bench behind it.

In that case re-sign Marion, sign Odom or whoever and use the Larry Bird rule for everyone else we need to re-sign.

We really need to get Delfino and Rasho back. I think they were major factors in our success. Getting Moon back would be nice as well.

Does Delfino count for the Bird exception? We have his rights and are able to make a qualifying offer this offseason.

yep we can get Delfino all we do is have to match the offer that he gets from another team which I'm guessing is around 4 mill because he is a RFA and we still have the rights to him. We can go over the cap for him and we can keep AP and Graham around.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
kmart
No props needed

We have the Bird rights to Marion too right?

If we did this will be a very effective offseason
Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I think considering the weak FA class that the Raps will pretty much have to take advantage of another team's salary dump. They have a number of holes to fill and overpaying for a free agent will not help the cause.

Perhaps guys like Mike Dunleavy, Gerald Wallace, Mike Miller, Martell Webster or Francisco Garcia could be had. All these the teams they are currently on are in positions where cutting salary may potentially be an issue and in the case of Wallace, he's been rumoured to leave for ages now. The Raps probably could not swing any deals like Camby for a 2nd rounder but I think the trade route is a bit more ideal.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
We have the Bird rights to Marion too right?

If we did this will be a very effective offseason

So let me get this straight. We can sign an FA with the 19M in cap room we have. PLUS re-sign our own players with the Bird exception and it's OK to be over then? No luxury tax? That doesn't sound right. We could have like a 80 million pay roll and not pay tax. Plus MLSE is cheap and probably wouldn't go for that anyways.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
So let me get this straight. We can sign an FA with the 19M in cap room we have. PLUS re-sign our own players with the Bird exception and it's OK to be over then? No luxury tax? That doesn't sound right. We could have like a 80 million pay roll and not pay tax. Plus MLSE is cheap and probably wouldn't go for that anyways.

Bird rights are resigning players that have been with you three or more years

Which means we can sign any player with the cap space that we have and still sign AP or Joey G after we have made a huge free agent splash. We could also go over the cap and match Delfino RFA offer as well

With that I think we should re-sign Marion
Re-sign Joey G
Match Delfino's offer
and Sign Rasho
Draft Jeff Teague

Line up:
Calderon/ Ukic/ Banks
Delfino/ Jeff Teague/
Marion/ Joey G/
Bosh/ Hump
Bargs/ Rasho/ Jawai

Much quicker faster lineup kinda what Triano wants.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

What do you all think Moon will command this summer? I can't see him getting more than 3-4M. Should we sign him along with Rasho (For the right price) for our bench or move on?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #23
nucomy
I airball my layups

nucomy has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
If we trade Kapono's contract for an expirer, we could have potentially 19 million dollars to spend this offseason on 5 players. Not bad.

Re-Sign
Parker (4.5M)
Graham (3M)
Delfino (4.5M)

FA Signings
Moon (3M)
Nesterovic (4M) = 19M

+ Draft Pick

C - Bargnani/Nesterovic/Jawai
PF - Bosh/Humphries
SF - Delfino/Moon
SG - Parker/Graham
PG - Calderon/Ukic/Banks

I think depth is a major problem for this team, and was the reason why we were successful in the past. I would really like to see this team together for next season.

What does everyone think about our off-season situation?

so you want the team we had last year which was 41-41 and without tj ford. and you also want Moon who was seeing barely any time in toronto under triano and you want to pay a guy who doesnt know how the drive to the hoop and annoys chris bosh 3 million a year. Boy We will forsure be able to beat orlando with this team next yr if we made the playoffs lol.

this is a bad idea. we need to resign marion, sign delfino and parker. draft a decent big man to play back up. and potentially find a trade in the offseason to bring in another slashing wingman. or we should draft a slashing wingman and sign rasho as a back up big man, he likes toronto a lot. either way keeping marion is important.
nucomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucomy
so you want the team we had last year which was 41-41 and without tj ford. and you also want Moon who was seeing barely any time in toronto under triano and you want to pay a guy who doesnt know how the drive to the hoop and annoys chris bosh 3 million a year. Boy We will forsure be able to beat orlando with this team next yr if we made the playoffs lol.

this is a bad idea. we need to resign marion, sign delfino and parker. draft a decent big man to play back up. and potentially find a trade in the offseason to bring in another slashing wingman. or we should draft a slashing wingman and sign rasho as a back up big man, he likes toronto a lot. either way keeping marion is important.

Are you kdding me we better not go into the lottery and draft another big man cause we've done that for like the last 5 times we've been in the lottery . We better draft a Guard or a Wing that can play the perimeter not the inside. Thats why I think drafting a wing that plays a 4 in college is a BAD idea. I agree with you that we have to keep Marion though.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #25
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Bird rights are resigning players that have been with you three or more years

Which means we can sign any player with the cap space that we have and still sign AP or Joey G after we have made a huge free agent splash. We could also go over the cap and match Delfino RFA offer as well

With that I think we should re-sign Marion
Re-sign Joey G
Match Delfino's offer
and Sign Rasho
Draft Jeff Teague

Line up:
Calderon/ Ukic/ Banks
Delfino/ Jeff Teague/
Marion/ Joey G/
Bosh/ Hump
Bargs/ Rasho/ Jawai

Much quicker faster lineup kinda what Triano wants

You think Triano has earned another season?
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
We will NOT have the MLE.

You only get the MLE if you are over the cap. We will be uder the cap there for we will have our cap space to spend and not the MLE.

According to BC (and Wikipedia) we WILL have the MLE. Though the NBA salary stuff is so complicated I wouldn't be totally shocked if BC were confused.

But I do think he is correct. If we resign Marion, Parker, Delfinoand/or Graham we will have the MLE.

I think our lineup will be

PG Jose/ Roko/ Banks
SG Delfino/Parker
SF Marion/ Kapono
PF Bosh/ Hump
C Bargs/ Jawai

plus Rasho (or a Rasho type player for the bi-annual)
an MLE guy (maybe we can get ben gordon for this price, or jamal crawford) and maybe (though I doubt it) they bring Graham back.

That would be a pretty good lineup if Marion is in good form.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #27
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:

You're right about everything except for the tax part.

Anyteam that reaches and goes over the luxury tax threshold mut pay there are no exceptions there.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
You're right about everything except for the tax part.

Anyteam that reaches and goes over the luxury tax threshold mut pay there are no exceptions there.

What's the deal with the hard cap? Isn't that the amount we can sign players with the bird rights without having to pay tax on those contracts? Isn't the hard cap like 85-90M?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
FA Signings
Moon (3M)
Nesterovic (4M) = 19M

Lord no. Moon especially is worth nowhere near that much money. Why cling to the past like that when it's been so erratic even with those guys on the roster? I liked Rasho too, but there are plenty of bigs who could more than match what he brought for a cheaper price. There are good players to be had in this offseason, not just ex-Raptors you enjoyed cheering for.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
Lord no. Moon especially is worth nowhere near that much money. Why cling to the past like that when it's been so erratic even with those guys on the roster? I liked Rasho too, but there are plenty of bigs who could more than match what he brought for a cheaper price. There are good players to be had in this offseason, not just ex-Raptors you enjoyed cheering for.

I just thought they would be cheap role players. If you can find other pretty decent players that we could sign for 3-4 million to play off the bench then post it. I didn't really do much research about it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: