Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Marions A Rap!

So what now? He's a former Olympian and a four time all-star. He's a career 48% shooter from the field, pretty darn impressive, but only a 33% shooter from three which is no better than Jamario's. I guess the whole key to our new Rap is to try to prevent him from getting jump shooter's disease, a sickness that seems to befell every player the moment he puts on a Raptor uniform.

If you hated Jamario every time he hoisted up an ill advised three and missed, you'll absolutely cringe after seeing Shawn release his. If he can concentrate on defence and rebounding first and foremost, his value to the starting five will rocket. He will have to spend lots of time near the baseline on offence where he excells and Jose and Parker better practice their alleyoops cause few in the game can finnish them like Shawn.

He absolutely needs to look for offensive rebounds every time a shot goes up as well. Defensively he should excell at rebounding and starting the fast break as well as finnishing most others when someone else snatches the rebound. So if he can stay just inside the 3 point line, he should look like an allstar cause he brings the Raps some major league athleticism near the basket!

If he does what he should do rather than what he shouldn't, the Raps should sneek into the playoffs, cause no team has a more favourable schedule the rest of the way, than the Raps. There is tons of practice time in there, so no more excuses left for these guys.

If he does what he should and certainly can, it means we will have no choice but to throw our free cap space at him in the off season as we will have kissed our high draft pick good bye. Curiuos how everyone else hopes and feels this whole scenario will play out.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 02-15-2009 at 02:03 PM.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Nice post. I'm really looking forward to seeing if that HUGE frontcourt can dominate or not. At 6'9, 6'10 and 7' these 3 guys should realize that they have the potential to outrebound anybody, and just simply own the post offensively and defensively.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Nice post. I'm really looking forward to seeing if that HUGE frontcourt can dominate or not. At 6'9, 6'10 and 7' these 3 guys should realize that they have the potential to outrebound anybody, and just simply own the post offensively and defensively.

Our bench really hurts us though. We need to keep 2/3 of those guys on the court at all times. Jawai is not ready to play and Voskuhl is only good for a quick 10 mins of hard fouling and 2 rebounds. We really need Humphries back on the bench.

Hopefully we can trade Kapono or Banks with Solomon for a backup bigman.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Our bench really hurts us though. We need to keep 2/3 of those guys on the court at all times. Jawai is not ready to play and Voskuhl is only good for a quick 10 mins of hard fouling and 2 rebounds. We really need Humphries back on the bench.

I really don't think we should trade though its a waste of assets on a waste of a season, maybe signing some guy from the D-League on a min would do but I really don't think trading for big on depth and something that won't help the future will do us any good.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:

Bro, if we could trade Kapono or Banks for anything, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Those are some ugly ass contracts. But totally agree with you that the bench will be the achilles heel for the rest of the season.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I really don't think we should trade though its a waste of assets on a waste of a season, maybe signing some guy from the D-League on a min would do but I really don't think trading for big on depth and something that won't help the future will do us any good.

Seriously, if I could trade Kapono/Banks and Solomon for Chris Wilcox and his expiring contract in OKC, I would pull the trigger instantly. He has over 6 million dollars owed to him this season that comes off the books this summer. He will be a very good backup big man for us and we could even re-sign him this offseason if we want. I really don't think Kapono should be labelled as an 'asset'. Same goes for Banks and Solomon.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Seriously, if I could trade Kapono/Banks and Solomon for Chris Wilcox and his expiring contract in OKC, I would pull the trigger instantly. He has over 6 million dollars owed to him this season that comes off the books this summer. He will be a very good backup big man for us and we could even re-sign him this offseason if we want. I really don't think Kapono should be labelled as an 'asset'. Same goes for Banks and Solomon.

I would too but I doubt that any trade like this would happen. Wilcox is a solid guy and for a crappy contract like Kapono and a guy they won't need in Solomon they won't do it unless B.C. does some serious magic we won't be pulling any trades like this one off.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

Marion a Raptor for like 41 games!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

41 games is good enough to see some change.
It's 50/50 for me, if this trade gives us a record way above .500 mark for the half of the season, I might consider Marion for next year. If it's bad, it's also good because we get a good lottery pick, hopefully we get a respectable wing player or Thabeet (fan )
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

He's actually gonna be a raptor for 27 games; I don't see him re-signing here...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Bro, if we could trade Kapono or Banks for anything, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Those are some ugly ass contracts. But totally agree with you that the bench will be the achilles heel for the rest of the season.

I really don't hate the bench.

Banks may not be a star in this league but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a little insurance behind Calderon - Ukic has had one big game and shown flashes of what he can be at times, but he's still 90 percent raw talent. And if Banks can play a few minutes at the 2 here & there as a spot-up shooter and decent defender, beautiful. I'm probably in the minority here but I wasn't all that concerned with Toronto having to take on Banks' contract.

Joey Graham has been playing like at least a solid starter, and if he can back up Marion with any of the same effectiveness I'm more than satisfied.

Up front they'll be a little more solid once Humphries is good to go, but considering the amount of minutes Bosh and Bargnani are going to play, do you really need anything more than a couple big bodies like Voskuhl and Jawai?

Look at a great team like the Spurs and their bench - guys like Oberto, Mason, Bonner, Udoka etc sure as hell aren't superstars. Same goes for the Lakers with Luke Walton, Vujacic, Josh Powell, Adam Morrison - no mind blowing talent there. I'm not comparing the Raptors to those teams right now but it's all about depth, not having a superstar caliber backup at every position. Those teams win because the role players are willing and able to execute the roles given to them.

The trade upgraded the depth at two positions for Toronto, and dumped a guy who wasn't going to be needed anymore.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
I really don't hate the bench.

Banks may not be a star in this league but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a little insurance behind Calderon - Ukic has had one big game and shown flashes of what he can be at times, but he's still 90 percent raw talent. And if Banks can play a few minutes at the 2 here & there as a spot-up shooter and decent defender, beautiful. I'm probably in the minority here but I wasn't all that concerned with Toronto having to take on Banks' contract.

Joey Graham has been playing like at least a solid starter, and if he can back up Marion with any of the same effectiveness I'm more than satisfied.

Up front they'll be a little more solid once Humphries is good to go, but considering the amount of minutes Bosh and Bargnani are going to play, do you really need anything more than a couple big bodies like Voskuhl and Jawai?

Look at a great team like the Spurs and their bench - guys like Oberto, Mason, Bonner, Udoka etc sure as hell aren't superstars. Same goes for the Lakers with Luke Walton, Vujacic, Josh Powell, Adam Morrison - no mind blowing talent there. I'm not comparing the Raptors to those teams right now but it's all about depth, not having a superstar caliber backup at every position. Those teams win because the role players are willing and able to execute the roles given to them.

The trade upgraded the depth at two positions for Toronto, and dumped a guy who wasn't going to be needed anymore.

I'm speaking primarily interms of back up bigs. You're saying you aren't comparing but lets do it for a second; Oberto and Walton are far better bigs than Jawai and Voshul. The drop off in talent is very significant. Looks like Bargs, Bosh and Marion are going to play some heavy, heavy minutes.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
I'm speaking primarily interms of back up bigs. You're saying you aren't comparing but lets do it for a second; Oberto and Walton are far better bigs than Jawai and Voshul. The drop off in talent is very significant. Looks like Bargs, Bosh and Marion are going to play some heavy, heavy minutes.

Regardless of the depth those 3 are going to have to play big time minutes to get us into the playoff picture.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

You say that only because they have some name/face recognition due to being on good teams that are constantly on national TV. Realistically a guy like Oberto does nothing for the Spurs that Voskuhl doesn't do for Toronto; look at his numbers and show me the huge dropoff in talent you're talking about.

Anyway, you miss my point. Toronto is lucky enough to have two bigs who right now are worthy of huge minutes, which negates the need for anything but a couple tough scrubs coming off the bench. Barring an injury, a Humphries/Voskuhl/Jawai rotation behind Bosh and Bargnani is more than enough, assuming they're willing to play their roles.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #15
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Regardless of the depth those 3 are going to have to play big time minutes to get us into the playoff picture.

The Marion trade was cool and all, but I don't even want this team to win anymore. I was pumped to maybe get Aminu or Jennings. Even Earl Clark would be nice for this team. If Marion turns this team around I will be optimistic about 2009 (If we re-sign him), but dissapointed of what could have been regarding the draft. I'm assuming Jennings will drop like Bayless did. Maybe we can pick him up later on in the draft.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: