Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #16
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,511
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
You say that only because they have some name/face recognition due to being on good teams that are constantly on national TV. Realistically a guy like Oberto does nothing for the Spurs that Voskuhl doesn't do for Toronto; look at his numbers and show me the huge dropoff in talent you're talking about.

Anyway, you miss my point. Toronto is lucky enough to have two bigs who right now are worthy of huge minutes, which negates the need for anything but a couple tough scrubs coming off the bench. Barring an injury, a Humphries/Voskuhl/Jawai rotation behind Bosh and Bargnani is more than enough, assuming they're willing to play their roles.

Humphries is the only good backup there. Voskuhl and Jawai are so terrible, even in terms of backup big men. Jawai needs to get meaner, Voskuhl needs to work on his layups .
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
You say that only because they have some name/face recognition due to being on good teams that are constantly on national TV. Realistically a guy like Oberto does nothing for the Spurs that Voskuhl doesn't do for Toronto; look at his numbers and show me the huge dropoff in talent you're talking about.

Anyway, you miss my point. Toronto is lucky enough to have two bigs who right now are worthy of huge minutes, which negates the need for anything but a couple tough scrubs coming off the bench. Barring an injury, a Humphries/Voskuhl/Jawai rotation behind Bosh and Bargnani is more than enough, assuming they're willing to play their roles.

I hope you're right man. But it has nothing to do with national television as you say. I don't depend on what goes on national TV to create my opinions on things. Stats don't tell the entire story either.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,511
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
I hope you're right man. But it has nothing to do with national television as you say. I don't depend on what goes on national TV to create my opinions on things. Stats don't tell the entire story either.

Oberto is definitely a better player than Voskuhl and his stats don't tell the entire story. He just plays his role. Is he a good player though? Probably not..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
new noise
madvillain
 
new noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,481
new noise has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
I hope you're right man. But it has nothing to do with national television as you say. I don't depend on what goes on national TV to create my opinions on things. Stats don't tell the entire story either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Toronto is running the strongest bench in the league. But it's not the worst either. My point was more that the better teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers etc) seem to be able to take a few no-name players and turn them into a solid bench, relying on them to just play the roles they've been given while the 2 or 3 stars on the team keep things running.

Obviously a big part of that is coaching, and the amount of respect players have for guys like Popovich and Jackson. But if the Raptors can ride Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and Calderon hard while keeping the bench in check in terms of what they should and shouldn't do on the floor, I'm at least a little hopeful for the team's future.

One thing that 45-win team a couple years ago had was some depth - not stars, just dudes like Delfino who could hit a shot or make a play here and there. So I don't think you can discount how important even scrubs like Banks and Voskuhl can be to a team with an already solid core.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,998
RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Toronto is running the strongest bench in the league. But it's not the worst either. My point was more that the better teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers etc) seem to be able to take a few no-name players and turn them into a solid bench, relying on them to just play the roles they've been given while the 2 or 3 stars on the team keep things running.

Obviously a big part of that is coaching, and the amount of respect players have for guys like Popovich and Jackson. But if the Raptors can ride Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and Calderon hard while keeping the bench in check in terms of what they should and shouldn't do on the floor, I'm at least a little hopeful for the team's future.

Lets also not discount the fact that 99% of these these teams have legit hall of famers on them. Kobe, Duncan, LeBron, etc can make anyone look better. Bosh is a very good player, but he's not on that level.

Also, that 47 win team a couple years ago had a VERY weak Eastern conference in their favour... along with a better bench.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, however. I'm interested to see how well Marion interacts with the team and how this team's D looks with him in the line-up. The next couple of days will be interesting. I'm interested to see if BC gets ruthless with some franchises who are obviously looking to shed salary in tough economic times (Golden State, Sacramento, New Orleans reportedly) and can convince them to take back a bad contract with shorter term (Banks/Kapono).
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
new noise
madvillain
 
new noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,481
new noise has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I'm interested to see if BC gets ruthless with some franchises who are obviously looking to shed salary in tough economic times (Golden State, Sacramento, New Orleans reportedly) and can convince them to take back a bad contract with shorter term (Banks/Kapono).

We can definitely agree on that. Colangelo probably got taken advantage of just a little by throwing Moon into the Marion deal (didn't break my heart). Interesting to see if he'll do the same to one of the teams in even worse shape than the Raptors.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,511
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Marion press conference today at noon. Watch it online at www.torontoraptors.com or on Raptors NBA TV.

Last edited by Toni : 02-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP
 
HalphbreedBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 575
HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Nice post. I'm really looking forward to seeing if that HUGE frontcourt can dominate or not. At 6'9, 6'10 and 7' these 3 guys should realize that they have the potential to outrebound anybody, and just simply own the post offensively and defensively.

6'9"??? Marion is only 6'7"
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
6'9"??? Marion is only 6'7"

Ya I noticed that i made that mistake, but was too lazy to correct it.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP
 
HalphbreedBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 575
HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Ya I noticed that i made that mistake, but was too lazy to correct it.

Don't worry I know what u mean he plays like he is 6'9" LOL

Just like dwade plays 6'6"

Barkley 6'9"

Rodman every hight LOL
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
Don't worry I know what u mean he plays like he is 6'9" LOL

Just like dwade plays 6'6"

Barkley 6'9"

Rodman every hight LOL

Lol, glad we're on the same page then.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #27
antonaki1
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Nice 4 part series on you tube, looking inside Shawn Marion's life and career when he arrives in Miami after the trade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IALvOIG6ww
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,511
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

The trade thus far..

Shawn Marion

3 Games
37.7 MPG
.432 FG%
1.000 FT%
11.00 RPG
4.0 APG
.67 SPG
.67 BPG
1.33 TO
1.00 PF
13.3 PPG

Jermaine O'Neal

3 Games
29.0 MPG
.516 FG%
.571 FT%
4.30 RPG
1.7 APG
1.00 SPG
1.67 BPG

1.00 TO
3.00 PF
12.0 PPG
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
bada bing
College star
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,227
bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

i expect marion's scoring to go up as the season proceeds. I really expect him to be in the 16-18 ppg with 8-11 rebound range.

O'neal wil get injured again (sadly) and the heat will rest him until the playoffs.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,511
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i expect marion's scoring to go up as the season proceeds. I really expect him to be in the 16-18 ppg with 8-11 rebound range.

O'neal wil get injured again (sadly) and the heat will rest him until the playoffs.

I kind of hope O'Neal will sign with us in 2010 for a cheaper contract. He was an awesome player for us when healthy. Everyone cheer for JO, March 5th at the ACC!
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy