Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #16
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marions A Rap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
You say that only because they have some name/face recognition due to being on good teams that are constantly on national TV. Realistically a guy like Oberto does nothing for the Spurs that Voskuhl doesn't do for Toronto; look at his numbers and show me the huge dropoff in talent you're talking about.

Anyway, you miss my point. Toronto is lucky enough to have two bigs who right now are worthy of huge minutes, which negates the need for anything but a couple tough scrubs coming off the bench. Barring an injury, a Humphries/Voskuhl/Jawai rotation behind Bosh and Bargnani is more than enough, assuming they're willing to play their roles.

Humphries is the only good backup there. Voskuhl and Jawai are so terrible, even in terms of backup big men. Jawai needs to get meaner, Voskuhl needs to work on his layups .
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
You say that only because they have some name/face recognition due to being on good teams that are constantly on national TV. Realistically a guy like Oberto does nothing for the Spurs that Voskuhl doesn't do for Toronto; look at his numbers and show me the huge dropoff in talent you're talking about.

Anyway, you miss my point. Toronto is lucky enough to have two bigs who right now are worthy of huge minutes, which negates the need for anything but a couple tough scrubs coming off the bench. Barring an injury, a Humphries/Voskuhl/Jawai rotation behind Bosh and Bargnani is more than enough, assuming they're willing to play their roles.

I hope you're right man. But it has nothing to do with national television as you say. I don't depend on what goes on national TV to create my opinions on things. Stats don't tell the entire story either.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
I hope you're right man. But it has nothing to do with national television as you say. I don't depend on what goes on national TV to create my opinions on things. Stats don't tell the entire story either.

Oberto is definitely a better player than Voskuhl and his stats don't tell the entire story. He just plays his role. Is he a good player though? Probably not..
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Toronto is running the strongest bench in the league. But it's not the worst either. My point was more that the better teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers etc) seem to be able to take a few no-name players and turn them into a solid bench, relying on them to just play the roles they've been given while the 2 or 3 stars on the team keep things running.

Obviously a big part of that is coaching, and the amount of respect players have for guys like Popovich and Jackson. But if the Raptors can ride Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and Calderon hard while keeping the bench in check in terms of what they should and shouldn't do on the floor, I'm at least a little hopeful for the team's future.

One thing that 45-win team a couple years ago had was some depth - not stars, just dudes like Delfino who could hit a shot or make a play here and there. So I don't think you can discount how important even scrubs like Banks and Voskuhl can be to a team with an already solid core.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Toronto is running the strongest bench in the league. But it's not the worst either. My point was more that the better teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers etc) seem to be able to take a few no-name players and turn them into a solid bench, relying on them to just play the roles they've been given while the 2 or 3 stars on the team keep things running.

Obviously a big part of that is coaching, and the amount of respect players have for guys like Popovich and Jackson. But if the Raptors can ride Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and Calderon hard while keeping the bench in check in terms of what they should and shouldn't do on the floor, I'm at least a little hopeful for the team's future.

Lets also not discount the fact that 99% of these these teams have legit hall of famers on them. Kobe, Duncan, LeBron, etc can make anyone look better. Bosh is a very good player, but he's not on that level.

Also, that 47 win team a couple years ago had a VERY weak Eastern conference in their favour... along with a better bench.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, however. I'm interested to see how well Marion interacts with the team and how this team's D looks with him in the line-up. The next couple of days will be interesting. I'm interested to see if BC gets ruthless with some franchises who are obviously looking to shed salary in tough economic times (Golden State, Sacramento, New Orleans reportedly) and can convince them to take back a bad contract with shorter term (Banks/Kapono).
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I'm interested to see if BC gets ruthless with some franchises who are obviously looking to shed salary in tough economic times (Golden State, Sacramento, New Orleans reportedly) and can convince them to take back a bad contract with shorter term (Banks/Kapono).

We can definitely agree on that. Colangelo probably got taken advantage of just a little by throwing Moon into the Marion deal (didn't break my heart). Interesting to see if he'll do the same to one of the teams in even worse shape than the Raptors.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Marion press conference today at noon. Watch it online at www.torontoraptors.com or on Raptors NBA TV.

Last edited by Toni : 02-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Nice post. I'm really looking forward to seeing if that HUGE frontcourt can dominate or not. At 6'9, 6'10 and 7' these 3 guys should realize that they have the potential to outrebound anybody, and just simply own the post offensively and defensively.

6'9"??? Marion is only 6'7"
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
6'9"??? Marion is only 6'7"

Ya I noticed that i made that mistake, but was too lazy to correct it.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Ya I noticed that i made that mistake, but was too lazy to correct it.

Don't worry I know what u mean he plays like he is 6'9" LOL

Just like dwade plays 6'6"

Barkley 6'9"

Rodman every hight LOL
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
Don't worry I know what u mean he plays like he is 6'9" LOL

Just like dwade plays 6'6"

Barkley 6'9"

Rodman every hight LOL

Lol, glad we're on the same page then.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #27
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Nice 4 part series on you tube, looking inside Shawn Marion's life and career when he arrives in Miami after the trade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IALvOIG6ww
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

The trade thus far..

Shawn Marion

3 Games
37.7 MPG
.432 FG%
1.000 FT%
11.00 RPG
4.0 APG
.67 SPG
.67 BPG
1.33 TO
1.00 PF
13.3 PPG

Jermaine O'Neal

3 Games
29.0 MPG
.516 FG%
.571 FT%
4.30 RPG
1.7 APG
1.00 SPG
1.67 BPG

1.00 TO
3.00 PF
12.0 PPG
Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i expect marion's scoring to go up as the season proceeds. I really expect him to be in the 16-18 ppg with 8-11 rebound range.

O'neal wil get injured again (sadly) and the heat will rest him until the playoffs.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i expect marion's scoring to go up as the season proceeds. I really expect him to be in the 16-18 ppg with 8-11 rebound range.

O'neal wil get injured again (sadly) and the heat will rest him until the playoffs.

I kind of hope O'Neal will sign with us in 2010 for a cheaper contract. He was an awesome player for us when healthy. Everyone cheer for JO, March 5th at the ACC!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: