Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default H2H Question

Question for those who have taken part in H2H leagues.

We have 10 man teams in ours with 3 bench spots. But, there isn't a max number of games per position. So, people can filter in the bench guys, basically getting 9-12 extra games per week (depending on how many games the bench guys teams play). Basically, if you're up against a guy who even has 1 injured guy, you will beat him, because you will get 3-4 more games then him. To me, this doesn't make for any strategy at all....a monkey could sub in my bench guys.

Is this how all leagues work? Can you control this?

Before we had a Roto league that allowed you to pu a max of 82 games per position (PG,G,Sg etc). That meant your bench was used for injured guys and for the rare nights that your entire team played, you had to make a call based on match ups who to play (if your bench was even worthy of playing). This year seems basic...no strategy. It's conceivable that the best team (starters) won't win, if some job squad is able to max games better.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
SCdac
NBA rookie of the year

There's no max-games in H2H... at least not that I know of.

That's what makes it so fun. You can filter you bench in and out as much as you want... because you want as many stats as you can get (PTS, AST, REB, STL, BLK). For an active league/team, you're going to WANT to play all of your players... Don't forget you can set your lineups well in advance, if say you don't have alot of time to reconfigure your lineup everyday.

Roto is completely different. You have to pick and choose when to play somebody, and what position to play him at (ex. SG or UTI).

It's just a different format. Everybody should be using their bench routinely in H2H.

And yes, this is why alot of more-experience managers prefer Roto, as it increases and incourages much more skill and competition.

Last edited by SCdac : 09-27-2006 at 05:53 PM.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

Thanks for the input. I think that is what I have been starting to realize, that Roto is for more experienced fantasy people. H2H where a monkey can filter guys in to max games, isn't very strategic. We have been doing these leagues for a number of years and I kept feeling that it was a step back in terms of a challenge....and I guess I felt that way because it is.

I realize that you want as many stats, but not at the detriment of competition. So if someone this year takes Gasol in a later round, they will basically lose every H2H until he gets back, because they will be down 3 to 4 games per week, compared to their competitor.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
SCdac
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Thanks for the input. I think that is what I have been starting to realize, that Roto is for more experienced fantasy people. H2H where a monkey can filter guys in to max games, isn't very strategic. We have been doing these leagues for a number of years and I kept feeling that it was a step back in terms of a challenge....and I guess I felt that way because it is.

I realize that you want as many stats, but not at the detriment of competition. So if someone this year takes Gasol in a later round, they will basically lose every H2H until he gets back, because they will be down 3 to 4 games per week, compared to their competitor.

Well, generally, it hurts more to have your top-5 players go out at the end of the season, during the fantasy-playoffs, than it does at the beginning. Somebody who drafts Pau won't be doomed, especially in a H2H league where it's a week by week basis. Maybe if he turns out to be like Amare it could really suck (many who drafted him were expecting a comeback some time after the All-Star break. Needless to say they were very disappointed and it was a huge waste).

Everyteam is going to have injuries. I had Yao on my team at the end of last season and it totally hurt me when he went down. Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Gerald Wallace, Carlos Boozer, Andrei Kirilenko, etc... You never know how healthy these guys are going to be, yet they'll be key contributors to some team.

One perk about H2H is that putting a guy in your starting lineup, only for him to miss the game, isn't going to hurt you like it is in Roto, where you getting a bunch of 0's for the night.

If say you draft Pau, and he's out for a few months. Try to target the percentages and TO's every week, as teams who play all their players will likely have lower percentages and high TO's.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
TheShadiest1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I played in a h2h league last year where you could only change your team 1 day (Sunday). That had a good amount of strat to it. You have to figure what your opponent does well and see where you could steal a cat. from your opponent, how many games your guys will play that week etc etc. Only thing that sucked is if you had an injury on Monday, and the guy played alot of games that week, your basically screwed till Sundy. But it made you pay alot of attention to the other matchups and how the other guys stats usually look every week. Fun.
TheShadiest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: