Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Sunsfan77
I airball my layups

Sunsfan77 has an OK reputation so far
Question Boris Or Marion

The the 2007 off-season will be the off-season that will change the face of the suns from pre-tender(not quite there.) to contender, for years to come!!! We have three picks in the first round of the 2007 NBA draft, which could turn out to be the best draft in nba history. So with a good chance to have three new players on our roster!(pending that we dont trade anyone!!!) Theres only one question...who wont be in a suns uniform for the 2007-2008 season? Boris Diaw or Shawn Marion? Boris will be looking for big money for next year and as u already know shawn makes a ton! And we cant keep them both! So whos it gonna be!:confused:
Sunsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

it all maters what happens this season
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
KnickFan4Life
Banned

KnickFan4Life has an OK reputation so far

Shawn will probably be the one to go.
KnickFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

its a bad situation. boris will ask for more than hes worth because he flourishes in the suns system....but marion would be an asset wherever he goes.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan77
We have three picks in the first round of the 2007 NBA draft, which could turn out to be the best draft in nba history. So with a good chance to have three new players on our roster!(pending that we dont trade anyone!!!) Theres only one question...who wont be in a suns uniform for the 2007-2008 season? Boris Diaw or Shawn Marion? Boris will be looking for big money for next year and as u already know shawn makes a ton! And we cant keep them both! So whos it gonna be!:confused:

Sure the Suns are in a great position, given their present team and next years' choices (even if I doubt it will really be the best draft ever).
The "contending" part depends a lot on how is Stodamire, as well as the possible decision about Marion/Diaw.
IMO Marion has to be kept anyway, while Diaw is not really a lock. Should Stoudamire fully recover, he can become your point-center, the pick&roll mate for Nash, thus making Diaw a lot less valuable.
Should Stoudamire be injured again, then I think Diaw must be kept, even if it means to spend some more money. The point is if the Suns are still very good without Amare (as they were last season). If they are not able to keep the level (e.g. Nash injury) they probably be better let Diaw leave in a S&T for picks, more or less as they did with JJ. Or maybe let Marion walk for expiring + picks.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
PFunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

PFunk has no real reputation yet.

honesty i would let diaw go.. it sucks but the suns were a pretty damn good team before he came in. yes, there was joe johnson and q rich, but there wasn't raja bell, marcus banks, kurt thomas or an much improved barbosa..
remember the three players who would be all stars in any system are stoudamire, matrix, and nash..
PFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
FLIER
Can barely lace up my sneakers

FLIER has an OK reputation so far

Boris is a good player with a very big future, but Marion is the best player in his position.
If I were the GM of the team, I wouldn't doubt in renew Shawn.
FLIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Kemosabe
High School Varsity 6th Man

Kemosabe has decent reputation

Itīs a hard decision. If i was the GM i would wait till the season ending watching the Amare rehab evolution, Boris progression (i love his pluridimensional game) and other hipotetical injuries. After that i would consider every possibility including trading K Thomas. If we win the championship perhaps we can keep both of them.
Go Suns!!!
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

i dunno... for loyalty... i feel that Marion will retire in Phoenix...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

ZonaFlash has an OK reputation so far

Could we even trade Matrix to keep Bad Ass Boris?

Obviously, we would need to take back a large, albeit expiring, contract, and this would might put us over the luxury cap for at least 07-08 if not more.

If we're looking for huge expiring contracts, don't we have that in Marion who expires just one year later? Besides, he's worth more than whatever scrap we would get back.

No, I don't think trading Marion necessarily clears the way for Boris. Who we keep will depend on which group plays well together [Boris, Amare, Matrix, Kurt] and which players are most easily tradeable [Barby, Banks, Ja-Jones and Kurt].

If Amare has his way, Matrix will get the boot!
ZonaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
i dunno... for loyalty... i feel that Marion will retire in Phoenix...

just like everyone thought ben wallace would retire in phoenix.

the suns are going to be in financial trouble soon. their owner wont let em go over the luxury tax and they are going to have to chose between boris and marion. cant keep both. even without marion, boris would still put phx close to the financial edge of what the owner will pay. the magic are going to be looking for a good free agent next summer... marion would make that team a contender.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

I'd take the guy that can play all 5 positions.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
joni
I hit open layups

joni has an OK reputation so far

"just like everyone thought ben wallace would retire in phoenix."

Wouldn't he have to play in Phoenix first? At least one game?
joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

nash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

idk who i'd take...honestly it's beyond me wether i like marion or diaw more...

like someone said before...marion will flourish wherever he ends up and that's an additional threat so it'd be nice to keep him

diaw is an amazing player and it'd be so sad to let him go just cuz he's so versatile and so agile and flexible...

so really i have no idea..
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #15
final.wrath
Banned

i think diaw might be the better choice. hes cheaper and possibly even better fitted to the suns fast play than marion.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: