Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
clipps
Good college starter
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,069
Default Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Wats up. I haven't been on ISH in forever. I've been busy with tech school. I'm still a die hard clipper fan that I've always been even though I hate almost every player on the team. Anyway, let me get to the point.

I would prefer to get responses from people that are familier with the military, especially the Air Force. Maybe someone can tell me how things really are. I went into basic last october and graduated in december and have been in techschool since then. I understand some of the rules but I'm wondering if the Air Force is even have as retarded as it seems like in tech school. Don't get me wrong, whatever happens, I'm proud of myself, I'm happy to be an Airman and i will do what it takes to be part of the millitary, but will it all be worth it in the end? Am I just wasting away my next 6 years of my life?
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997
 
Meticode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31,305
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

It really depends on your current life style. My brother-in-law is a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force. While he loves the Air Force, he hates being away from his wife, and the sad part is his wife traveled with him to be more close to him. For instance he was going to be traveling all over Europe the next 3 years, so him and his wife moved to Britain for those three years and even then she doesn't get to see him 2 to 3 weeks at a time sometimes.

If you're single it's probably more of the profession to you. If not, probably not because it's hard on your immediate close family.

If you really don't think you'll give 100% to the Air Force, then you can probably answer your own question.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

I just got out of the AF not to long ago, what is your job going to be? and trust me the real air force sucks too, but is 1000000X better than tech (atleast from my experience, I was security forces) My advice is deal with tech school, it's just a mind fuck like basic was, and when you can drink your face off, party and Fuck alot. (use protection)
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
A_RastaMon
Irie Mon!
 
A_RastaMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 242
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Screw Dem Babylon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKb0t5B_M4
A_RastaMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!
 
Doomsday Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MAVS/HEAT finals
Posts: 11,775
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
Wats up. I haven't been on ISH in forever. I've been busy with tech school. I'm still a die hard clipper fan that I've always been even though I hate almost every player on the team. Anyway, let me get to the point.

I would prefer to get responses from people that are familier with the military, especially the Air Force. Maybe someone can tell me how things really are. I went into basic last october and graduated in december and have been in techschool since then. I understand some of the rules but I'm wondering if the Air Force is even have as retarded as it seems like in tech school. Don't get me wrong, whatever happens, I'm proud of myself, I'm happy to be an Airman and i will do what it takes to be part of the millitary, but will it all be worth it in the end? Am I just wasting away my next 6 years of my life?


I think joining the military is not a good idea in general, but if you have to pick one of the Four (Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force)... I think you made the best choice in this aspect.

But on a positive note... You have 100% Job security in a horrible economy, and you are going to learn the true meaning of dicipline and responsibility.

Are you waisting six years of your life? Just make sure this is what you really want.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
I think joining the military is not a good idea in general, but if you have to pick one of the Four (Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force)... I think you made the best choice in this aspect.

But on a positive note... You have 100% Job security in a horrible economy, and you are going to learn the true meaning of dicipline and responsibility.

Are you waisting six years of your life? Just make sure this is what you really want.


a little late for that if he's already in tech school, and there are 5 branches of the military, US Coast Guard got moved fromt the Department of Transportation to full fledged military after 9-11.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
clipps
Good college starter
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,069
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
I just got out of the AF not to long ago, what is your job going to be? and trust me the real air force sucks too, but is 1000000X better than tech (atleast from my experience, I was security forces) My advice is deal with tech school, it's just a mind fuck like basic was, and when you can drink your face off, party and Fuck alot. (use protection)

Yea. I heard that tech school sucks for SFs. They are constantly on lock downs. I was in electrical systems but I hurt myself climbing poles with gaffs so I'm getting reclassed. I definitely get my fair share of phase backs, My school house is currently on lockdown because some idiot got caught being drunk underaged by the NCOD during the weekend.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 26,282
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

This may be something you don't want to discuss, and that's cool, but is the stuff about the Air Force evangelizing cadets true or just a handful of overhyped instances?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
Yea. I heard that tech school sucks for SFs. They are constantly on lock downs. I was in electrical systems but I hurt myself climbing poles with gaffs so I'm getting reclassed. I definitely get my fair share of phase backs, My school house is currently on lockdown because some idiot got caught being drunk underaged by the NCOD during the weekend.

what are you getting reclassed into, usually it's SF or Services. SF Tech School sucks but now that I am out it wasn't soo bad. but I did get out sooo..... but i think it would be waaaaay better than services. I knew a bunch of them in Minot and worked with them (food service technicians aka chefs) a lot. Whatever you choose or get reclassed into just remember not to walk into your new squadron (real AF not TS) and act like you are the cock of the walk. just get a feel for everyone that you'll be working with and then go from there.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 AM   #10
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
This may be something you don't want to discuss, and that's cool, but is the stuff about the Air Force evangelizing cadets true or just a handful of overhyped instances?

thats the officers at the academy, and it's overblown. These guys go in there and can't handle it and sell their story to CNN about how they were hazed
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
clipps
Good college starter
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,069
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
what are you getting reclassed into, usually it's SF or Services. SF Tech School sucks but now that I am out it wasn't soo bad. but I did get out sooo..... but i think it would be waaaaay better than services. I knew a bunch of them in Minot and worked with them (food service technicians aka chefs) a lot. Whatever you choose or get reclassed into just remember not to walk into your new squadron (real AF not TS) and act like you are the cock of the walk. just get a feel for everyone that you'll be working with and then go from there.

I'm hoping I don't get SF. I put down for 3 medical jobs, Personnel, Supplies, and Services... I put down Services as a decoy to avoid SF. It's been 2 weeks since I filled out that dream sheet and I still havn't heard anything yet.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
clipps
Good college starter
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,069
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
thats the officers at the academy, and it's overblown. These guys go in there and can't handle it and sell their story to CNN about how they were hazed

I can't stand it when people complain about being "hazed". It used to be a tradition to pick 2 newbies to clean the day room and the 2 newbies got in trouble before hand for underaged drinking and having pills so they were the ones we picked one week, and they went to an MTL and complained that we were hazing them. Whats funny is both clowns are seperated
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I'm hoping I don't get SF. I put down for 3 medical jobs, Personnel, Supplies, and Services... I put down Services as a decoy to avoid SF. It's been 2 weeks since I filled out that dream sheet and I still havn't heard anything yet.

good luck with the reclass, if you're really against SF, then that services decoy should do the trick. generally the reclasses come down to SVCS and SF's but it may be different now. Just pray that SF's isn't critically undermanned like it usually is and you should skate passed it. again good luck and don't sweat Tech School regaurdless of which one you go to. It's all BS and most are cake walks. Good luck in the Blue... oh and out of curiousity what basic squadron did you go to?
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 AM   #14
clipps
Good college starter
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,069
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

I was 323 Vipers. House of Pain, hoah.. lol
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,723
Default Re: Was joining the Air Force a mistake?

DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy