Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation
Default Now that we have Shawn Marion, What would you rather???

Would you rather......

#1. Make a run at the playoffs with a chance of posting an upset in the first round.

OR

#2. continue losing and get a shot at a good first round draft pick.

Before the trade I was solidedly a #2 option, now im 50/50 on this. If Marion comes motivated to play for the rest of the season, we could be very good come April.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Now that we have Shawn Marion, What would you rather???

No way I say tank. I think a playoff appearance regardless of winning the series or not, is much more important to the franchise and the players than the possibility of getting a good player with a lottery pick. I'd choose salvaging a lost season over a pick that would not ensure much unless the balls bounced our way anytime.

Make the playoffs, gain some confidence, evaluate your talent in the off season and choose the direction you want to go.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I would be pretty happy with a top 10 pick. Lot's of talent that could really help us.

Our bench is too thin to make any kind of playoff push IMO. Let's wait for 10 games or so to go by with Marion before we start jumping to conclusions. Because if I can see that this team is significantly improved with Marion, then maybe I will change my mind. But at this point I would rather not be in the playoff picture.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I'll choose option number 3: Not having a new thread for EVERY Shawn Marion/Playoff/Lottery discussion.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I'll choose option number 3: Not having a new thread for EVERY Shawn Marion/Playoff/Lottery discussion.

lol.. How come there isn't a process to creating new threads? Shouldn't it be sent for your approval first? It would save you a lot of work deleting and locking multiple threads. Also, why do you lock threads when you can just delete them?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputation

You absolutely go for the playoffs.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
You absolutely go for the playoffs.

You should win as many games as you can but saying that I don't think the Raps will make the playoffs.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tank.

The Raptors badly need more talent and after Colangelo has gutted this team's trade assets over the past year, the best chance for this to happen is through the draft. I hope the Raptors continue to lose this year, make some smart decisions in the offseason and finally get that right team around Bosh for him to stay on longer and for the Raptors to finally achieve some legit team success.

I don't care about making it to the playoffs for 4-5 games. It's meaningless to me. I want the team to be good for the long-run. It's only logical that having even a 10th pick is better than a 15th pick. You have more players available to you at the earlier spot and both slots are guaranteed contracts anyways.

But again, what I want doesn't matter because you know the Raptors management will do everything to build this team into a quick winner and keep the fans in the seats to make money. Smart business move, can't blame them for that. But it's a shame for some of us more "hardcore" fans I guess who want this team to be a title contender at some point. IMO, MLSE (and Colangelo of course) would be perfectly fine with the Raptors being a 1st round exit team every year because it seems like the money would still keep rolling in. Also, it's not like the players are going to be thinking about draft picks either. This is simply what I want to happen.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm a bit on the fence with this as well. I'm thinking regardless of whether we actually tank or not, it's not likely that we make the playoffs anyways. I'd like to see the Marion experiment (as short as in may be) in full motion. and if he plays this coming Wednesday, we'll get a glimpse into the future that BC has envisioned. Marion guarding Bron. I'm certainly not at all sold on that vision, but I would like to see if it has any potential since it's obviously the direction we're gonna be going.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Back when JO was here, people wanted to tank and it wasnt needed because we simply sucked. I really think we paly through the season hard to know our "place" besides if they still suck, then we really don't need to tank, they do it themselves like they did the first half of the season
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

If we tank and its obvious to the team, then we need to trade Bosh this offseason as he will simply be gone in 2010. I'm not sure whether or not that that might be the best move forward, but if the plans is to keep Bosh (and I'm pretty sure that it is) tanking is not an option.

Though as it has already been said, if we still straight up suck, then we won't have to try and tank anyway...
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Tank.

The Raptors badly need more talent and after Colangelo has gutted this team's trade assets over the past year, the best chance for this to happen is through the draft. I hope the Raptors continue to lose this year, make some smart decisions in the offseason and finally get that right team around Bosh for him to stay on longer and for the Raptors to finally achieve some legit team success.

I don't care about making it to the playoffs for 4-5 games. It's meaningless to me. I want the team to be good for the long-run. It's only logical that having even a 10th pick is better than a 15th pick. You have more players available to you at the earlier spot and both slots are guaranteed contracts anyways.

But again, what I want doesn't matter because you know the Raptors management will do everything to build this team into a quick winner and keep the fans in the seats to make money. Smart business move, can't blame them for that. But it's a shame for some of us more "hardcore" fans I guess who want this team to be a title contender at some point. IMO, MLSE (and Colangelo of course) would be perfectly fine with the Raptors being a 1st round exit team every year because it seems like the money would still keep rolling in. Also, it's not like the players are going to be thinking about draft picks either. This is simply what I want to happen.

Unfortunatly your right. Thats the problem with these corporate owned teams. Leafs are in the same boat.

We need a greedy egomaniac billionaire to buy the team kinda like Mark Cuban if we want a championship.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
If we tank and its obvious to the team, then we need to trade Bosh this offseason as he will simply be gone in 2010. I'm not sure whether or not that that might be the best move forward, but if the plans is to keep Bosh (and I'm pretty sure that it is) tanking is not an option.
Not necessarily.

I still think this offseason is the last chance the Raptors have of building a good team around Bosh. Get a high draft pick, use that and any cap space wisely and you might have a team that Bosh will stay with. With the recent poor management decisions, the Raptors are in a bit of a hole but it's still possible to turn this into a talented team for now and the future.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Not necessarily.

I still think this offseason is the last chance the Raptors have of building a good team around Bosh. Get a high draft pick, use that and any cap space wisely and you might have a team that Bosh will stay with. With the recent poor management decisions, the Raptors are in a bit of a hole but it's still possible to turn this into a talented team for now and the future.

It's possible, but like you said it won't happen. The core of this team is built for first round exits. Probably the softest core in the league in Bosh, Andrea and Jose. At least we get some grit in Marion. Hopefully BC can pull a trade for a gritty SG like Raja Bell or Caron Butler.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

If we want a team that will attract quality free agents and players via exceptions, than tanking is no option. It's important the team makes the playoffs and puts in a decent show or we will go back to being considered the lower echelon of the league like a few years of past. The schedule is not really condusive the rest of the way to tanking anyways. Even an average team should play 500 the rest of the way, so i hate to disapoint but the lottery is most likely, unlikely. The best case is we have a great remainder of the season with Shawn being a major key, and than wanting to sign here for no more than 10Mil a year. Than attracting someone to come here under the bi-annual exception.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: