Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #31
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Now that we have Shawn Marion, What would you rather???

Coincidently 3 Million dollars is the going rate for buying first round draft picks.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Coincidently 3 Million dollars is the going rate for buying first round draft picks.

Now that I think about the trade, that 3 million dollars was the key. Good point Funk.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #33
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk

That money is already lining the pockets of MLSE execs.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #34
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

In an interview following the Marion unveiling press-conference yesterday on Raptors TV, BC stated that the purpose of the $3 mill is to buy a 15-20 pick in next year's draft should we decide that we want the pick back, so the pick and cash considerations are a wash.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #35
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
In an interview following the Marion unveiling press-conference yesterday on Raptors TV, BC stated that the purpose of the $3 mill is to buy a 15-20 pick in next year's draft should we decide that we want the pick back, so the pick and cash considerations are a wash.

You can buy your pick back? I dont' get it? Can someone explain?
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #36
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15

Well Miami now has our pick whenever we make the playoffs after this year until 2014. So it will be a 16-30 pick and not a lot of potential. Whereas since Miami gave us 3 million in the deal, we can use that money to purchase somebody else's pick. Maybe in a lower draft range? I'm not sure exactly the going rate for each draft position, but Q said it was about 3 mill. so I'm assuming that's for a 15-30 pick. Maybe we can add a little more and get a 8-12 pick or package the money with a player for a lower pick?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15

Cash-strapped franchises + a crappy economy = the ability to purchase a pick that will probably amount to nothing more than a bench player (15-30 as has been said).
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #38
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Draft picks can be traded for cash considerations.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #39
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Thoughts on the debut of the Matrix?

40 MIN
10 PTS (4/9)
6 RBS
6 AST
2 BLK
1 STL

I think we seen his versatility and defensive capabilities on display tonight but he could be better. When he becomes a little bit more comfortable and when CB returns, I think the team will become much more competitive than tonight .

FYI Jermaine O'Neal's Debut for the HEAT;

23 MIN
13 PTS (6/8)
2 AST
1 REB
1 STL
1 BLK
1 TO

Last edited by Toni : 02-18-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #40
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Thoughts on the debut of the Matrix?

40 MIN
10 PTS (4/9)
6 RBS
6 AST
2 BLK
1 STL

I think we seen his versatility and defensive capabilities on display tonight but he could be better. When he becomes a little bit more comfortable and when CB returns, I think the team will become much more competitive than tonight .

Yeah I agree. I didn't catch the whole game but I think once he becomes a bit more familiar with the team he'll play better. I'd like to see the team play a bit more of a fastbreak style with him here.

On another note, how was his defense? He was matched up with Lebron no? I know it's Lebron but I pray for the days when opposing wings don't have monster nights against us.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #41
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
Yeah I agree. I didn't catch the whole game but I think once he becomes a bit more familiar with the team he'll play better. I'd like to see the team play a bit more of a fastbreak style with him here.

On another note, how was his defense? He was matched up with Lebron no? I know it's Lebron but I pray for the days when opposing wings don't have monster nights against us.

Lebron started off extremely slow in the first and Marion guarded him every play and did a really nice job. They started switching him off to Graham and Parker and he started to take over the game a little bit more as it went on. He didn't dominate the game scoring wise but he was a major factor in many areas. He flirted with a triple double;

33 MIN
20 PTS (9/17)
9 REB
9 AST

He was one of the main factors why Z had 22 PTS. His shot wasn't falling so he consistently kicked it out to him for open look after open look and he kept drilling them all night long going 11/17.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #42
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Lebron started off extremely slow in the first and Marion guarded him every play and did a really nice job. They started switching him off to Graham and Parker and he started to take over the game a little bit more as it went on. He didn't dominate the game scoring wise but he was a major factor in many areas. He flirted with a triple double;

33 MIN
20 PTS (9/17)
9 REB
9 AST

He was one of the main factors why Z had 22 PTS. His shot wasn't falling so he consistently kicked it out to him for open look after open look and he kept drilling them all night long going 11/17.

Marion did an excellent job on Lebron but one thing about Lebron is that he will get his teamates involved and the 9 ast are big numbers but nevertheless Marion did a good job.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #43
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Quote:

33 MIN
20 PTS (9/17)
9 REB
9 AST

I guess that's Lebron though lol but yeah that's good to hear if he was able to slow down Lebron for a while. I really like Shawn Marion and if he plays well to end the season then maybe we bring him back? At a reduced price of course, if not at least it gives us cap room.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #44
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

Playoffs.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #45
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

For a guy in a completly new situation Marion did a great job. I was really impressed with his passing. Once Bosh gets back, and the team has time to gel, and I can see them being good.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: