Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

Default Donnie Walsh=GM of the Year??? YES or NO

How many of you think he will win it?

I really think he will, IF, we make the playoffs.

The guys have 29 games to gel together.

It will help them even more when Marbury is released in 11 days! And counting.

earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Re: Donnie Walsh=GM of the Year??? YES or NO

o c'mon...your reaching.wheres denny green when u need him."if u wanna crown em,crown em'" but lets not forget we will most likely end this season below .500,we overpayed for Duhon and we gave up on the season 1/4 of the way through in hopes to shave for 2010.The Nuggets Gm is the hands down winner of that award.People...we got Chris Wilcox and Larry Hughes. They are talented but both are underachievers so while I have been hoping to get Wilcox for years,he nor hughes nor walsh are saviours. praise the fact that we got rid of jerome and malik.btw is the wilcox trade final?i been tryna find out for hours now.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
o c'mon...your reaching.wheres denny green when u need him."if u wanna crown em,crown em'" but lets not forget we will most likely end this season below .500,we overpayed for Duhon and we gave up on the season 1/4 of the way through in hopes to shave for 2010.The Nuggets Gm is the hands down winner of that award.People...we got Chris Wilcox and Larry Hughes. They are talented but both are underachievers so while I have been hoping to get Wilcox for years,he nor hughes nor walsh are saviours. praise the fact that we got rid of jerome and malik.btw is the wilcox trade final?i been tryna find out for hours now.

I meant from the mess Isiah left this franchise in, Walsh has done a minor miracle in a very short time frame. No these players aren't the answer. But their contracts are up this year and next year.

The next miracle Donnie needs to do is TRY to talk a 2010 FA into coming to New York. Who knows, maybe NO ONE will want to come here. Than we can FIRE him!

( I don't think Duhon is overpaid, I think Marbury is overpaid).
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Why would he get GM of the year award for f'n up the marbury situation....
trading crawford and zbo for nothing...???
adding an undersized PF/C with no defensive skills
adding hughes???

all this to clear space when how many superstars have left there teams to sign with another team the past 20 years.... maybe 4 guys have done it??

-swaree

Last edited by Rameek : 02-20-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
PistolPete
The Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Why would he get GM of the year award for f'n up the marbury situation....
trading crawford and zbo for nothing...???
adding an undersized PF/C with no defensive skills
adding hughes???

all this to clear space when how many superstars have left there teams to sign with another team the past 20 years.... maybe 4 guys have done it??

-swaree

For nothing?? For Lebron and for Wade
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Donnie has created well over 20 mil in cap space in arguably the biggest free agency in league history. it might be more than that.

He should be considered for the honor.

No one was interested in Zach or Crawford, but he moved them. Zach+Craw=dollars to spend on a real superstar.

No one is about to tell me that Zeke could have gotten Jerome James traded. That's GM honors in itself.

I'm not discussing Marbury anymore.

The point is he has made the Knicks go from a joke to a resurrected franchise. And he has done it in half a season.

He has put the team in a better position.

He may not get it, but he should be considered.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
msgstarbury3
NY will raise a banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Donnie has created well over 20 mil in cap space in arguably the biggest free agency in league history. it might be more than that.

He should be considered for the honor.

No one was interested in Zach or Crawford, but he moved them. Zach+Craw=dollars to spend on a real superstar.

No one is about to tell me that Zeke could have gotten Jerome James traded. That's GM honors in itself.

I'm not discussing Marbury anymore.

The point is he has made the Knicks go from a joke to a resurrected franchise. And he has done it in half a season.

He has put the team in a better position.

He may not get it, but he should be considered.

YESSSS!!!! anyone who can convince someone to take a players whos made 10 mil in 2 years and played only 15 mins is good in my book!!

who ever says duhon is overpaid needs to open their eyes and start watching knicks games stop looking at the box score were a way better them with him on the court overpaid??

try malik rose or jerome james or jared jeffries or stephon marbury dont say hes over paid cause lee and robinson hasnt got theirs yet itll come Larry huges OVERPAID i love the addition but hes overpaid Richardson over paid eddie curry overpaid what do u want us to pay him in lotto tickets? Hes a starting point guard on alot of teams in this league so over paid isnt even close
msgstarbury3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
mamba24
read this you homer

Lebron in NY? are you serious? im not a cavs fan but face it...his cavs are no1 in the East...hes playing with an All-Star and a Former All-Star in Big Z...
btw Big Z is no2 in offensive rebounds a game...he scores on average 6 points on offensive rebounds. D-howard is no1.

So think about it...Say the knicks land Amare or Chris Bosh, to pair with lebron.

Thats 40 million right there. Cap in 2010 is expected to be around 55mil.
so with 15 mil you got to round out 12-13 players.
Danilo and Wilson Chandler will have their team options picked up thats 5 mil gone.

So 4 players and 45 mil taken. The Hard cap can extend upto 66 million. and beyond that is only possible if you are resigning one of your own players if you own his bird rights.

So 20 million roughly to pay luxury tax and 10 players to bring on...are you going to go with a 8 man rotation and pay the other 6 players 1 million each?

The team will be unable to contend.

LBJ is enjoying success...if he can win a title there is no way he is leaving cleveland...he wants to be a legend...not a cheap ring hunter.

Wade has already expresed inking an extension in the summer...as he feels the team is competetive and lacking experience and maybe a Piece to make them contenders.

Now Bosh and Amare i can totally understand how NY can grab these guys...but Lebron & Wade sorry.
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Long LIVE Donny Walsh!! Our Empire is saved!! Long Live the King!!!
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

duhon is doin way better than i expected but he still is overpayed.n for all the praise he's gotten for this year,marbury's numbers still were better than his.its crazy how wen the media paints a picture of a guy,ppl take it and run with it despite facts.anyway,no matter wat walsh does now,his gm capabilities will be judged imo by who we get in 2010 becuz whether we somehow luck into that 8th spot or not,he clearly tanked this season.if we get in we'd only get in by default because the bottom half of the east is so bad.either way,we clearly aren't in the position talent wise to do anything but get swept.walsh better get the job done come 2010 or all this salary dumping and player evacuation will be for naught.

and as for lebron,even tho cleveland gm danny ferry only brought one valuable piece in since he's been there, what incentive besides location and prestige do we have to make him want 2 be a knick?n if u go off location alone,what happens if the nets move to bk?

Last edited by franchize : 02-20-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

^^^

If we don't get Lebron we'll get Wade, Stat, Bosh, Dirk, etc....
there still is a long time until 2010. Lebron isn't gonna win a championship with the Cavs, what if they get a early exit and get a 5th seed next year, Lebron will leave. Lebron loves NY and I'm pretty sure he will come. I'm not worried about the BK nets cause they are still in NJ and they have no fan base and they will always be our *****es
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

how r u pretty sure he'll come?if your gonna bother posting comments,@ least back em up.thats like me saying i'm pretty sure his son will win an nba championship when he grows up.as for their fan base,theres no way a brand new team is going to hit ny,brooklyn for that matter,owned partially by arguably the biggest and best rapper of all time and not have a fan base, especially when the Knicks have been so piss poor for the last 5+ years.they probably will be able to fill the arena with angry,traitor fans that are fed up with ny basketball.not every1 is as loyal as the limited few posters here... regrettably myself included in that painfully loyal list.plus ppl say lebron loves ny like that means he just wants 2 up and move there.im sure he loves cleveland to...he's been there all his life.just built a new house there.o yea n by the way,he also loves jay z.i just have this gut feeling when the dust settles we're gonna end up with allen iverson or t-mac or nash and i'm going to be pissed.i just hope if that happens we give walsh the same cold shoulder zeke got.not sayin he didnt deserve it but fair is fair.on top of that,what makes ppl think these player's current teams arent going to do everything in their power 2 keep their best players?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Do you all realize that superstars dont leave money on the table...
<<<< check under my name I would love to get x superstar and y superstar...

The sad reality I think Shaq, Tracy, Grant Hill I think not sure have left there teams to sign as a FA somewhere else... It doesnt happen...

So we get all this cap space and if these guys dont leave what will we have... I hope people remember this 2010 if it doesnt happen... I give the man an A Plus for sticking with this 2010 superstar FA signing period plan...

-swaree

Last edited by Rameek : 02-20-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

Without getting rid of Jeffries and/or Curry, Walsh will be commended for what he's done but GM of the Year, no way. I like what he's done thus far; getting rid of Jerome James is a feat in itself. Duhon wasn't a bad pickup for what he is giving us. Aside from Nash, Paul, D. Williams, and D. Harris, his overall numbers are right there with the second level starting point guards unless I am missing someone.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=2377

One of his greatest tircks will be to decide what he does this summer with Nate Rob and D. Lee. Will he find either or both redundant to what we have or will get in the draft and I think that will be the key. Outside of a big, which we need, the upcoming drat is full of PGs, SGs, and SFs. If we get say Stephen Curry, who is dropping in the draft to where we might eventually pick in the first round (see NBAdraft.net), do you still keep Nate Rob? I just don't see many PFs or Cs available that will be worth a pick for us and we DO have to build a roster of some sort for any free agent to consider coming to New York. Be clear, this is not a time for wasted draft picks or if a trade presents itself, not turning those picks over for good players. D. Lee is a bit different than the other six 6'8"' to 6'11" players that we have on the roster (Galinari, Chandler, Harrington, Wilcox, Curry, and Jeffries) in the fact that he is a walking double-double and has a very high basketball IQ. He has those intangibles that we are used to having like Oak, Mase and LJ. He does so many other things on the court and it is really hard to come by a player that does and is WILLING to do the small things that no one else will. I say we keep him as a piece for the future because real players love to play with someone like D. Lee. Why do you think so many GMs want the kid? Nate Rob is an athletic GIANT and a gifted scorer so it is difficult to want to give him up and I see why Walsh did not pull the trigger on anything with him yesterday, even if it meant keeping Jeffries and Curry. Again, if we get a Stephen Curry in the draft, who I think will flourish in our current system (and he is a friend and favorite of LBJ if that might help at all) then pacakge Nate Rob with Jeffries and let him ride for another expiring contract or good player. Walsh has his work cut out for him still so let's hold off on the WALSH for PRESIDENT campaign until the summer is over and see what that brings. BTW, until Curry shows that he can play again at a respectable level, he will not be traded. No GM in their right mind will trade for him until he shows his ability to play. Not every GM is as much of a push over as the one that works for Memphis......

Last edited by mjc1241 : 02-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba24

So think about it...Say the knicks land Amare or Chris Bosh, to pair with lebron.

Thats 40 million right there. Cap in 2010 is expected to be around 55mil.
so with 15 mil you got to round out 12-13 players.
Danilo and Wilson Chandler will have their team options picked up thats 5 mil gone.

So 4 players and 45 mil taken. The Hard cap can extend upto 66 million. and beyond that is only possible if you are resigning one of your own players if you own his bird rights.

So 20 million roughly to pay luxury tax and 10 players to bring on...are you going to go with a 8 man rotation and pay the other 6 players 1 million each?

The team will be unable to contend.

You can go over the cap to sign your own players. All Walsh has to do is what he just did.......

Have as many players as he can get whose contracts end in 2010.

Then use the cap space of those players which were probably overpaid anyway to sign a star or two.

It doesn't have to be Lebron.

Someone or two is going to take the money. Period.

Then sign your guys that you feel are worthy to be here and fill out your roster.

Even as it stands now.......

Curry, Chandler, Nilo, and Jeffries are the only guys under contract then and two are "player" options.

We are drafting in 09 so that will be five.

5 players with a combined salary of 25 mil and the cap will be around 55 mil.

Thats two max deal which may start at about 13 mil a piece for 5 years each laid down with options after three so those players can get that money again.

Two 95 mil dollar guys, 5 guys under contract, 6-10 mil to spare by then because the cap has went up a little by then.

3 guys can share the 10 mil a season in role player money.

Thats 8 now. The mid level would make nine players.

only need about 3 more realistically because the rest won't get any burn.

I'm not a GM but that's how I would do it.

Last edited by knickscity : 02-20-2009 at 05:40 PM.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: