Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Default Re: Street Fighter IV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
If you guys truly enjoy SFIV, after time passes you'll realize going back to Super Turbo is a better choice. SFII Super Turbo HD Remix is the deepest fighting game, ever.

I downloaded SSFHD awhile back to bridge me to SF4. It's a good game, but honestly even with the updated graphics, they just didn't have many sprites to work with. Look into King of Fighters 12 in youtube and you'd see how a next gen 2d fighter should look.

Also, SSFHD did not have Dan.

I was kinda disappointed they left out quite a few people from the Alpha / SFIII series. Guy and Alex would've been nice. Especially Alex, man I owned with Alex.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
kaiteng
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I was kinda disappointed they left out quite a few people from the Alpha / SFIII series. Guy and Alex would've been nice. Especially Alex, man I owned with Alex.

I read from somewhere that Capcom doesn't want any Final Fight fighters back, so Guy, Cody, Maki and Rolento are out.

Many SFIII fighters are also quite hard to put in since it 4 plus years apart from SFIV and they are too young canon-wise, so Alex, Ibuki, the Twins, Elena, and Makoto are also out. Some seems to be exclusively for SFIII storyline like Gill, Urien and Necro, so they are likely out.

Two fighters that expect to be back in SFIV Championship Edition are T. Hawk and Deejay. There are also many alleged hints in cutscene videos. A Seth copy is killed by a ninja weapon in Abel ending, SF's Geki? Charlie, who his body has never been found, and a French guy who can throw Sonic Boom (Remy?) are also mentioned in Guile's storyline.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #18
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Are you waiting on the pad

or a stick?

I think the pads are readily available at any big box retailer (Best Buy, Game Stop).

Regarding the arcade sticks (I posted this for SayTownRy) and I'll post it here.

Anyways, on topic,
My friend picked it up last tuesday, and I went there on that day as well as Friday to throw down in it. I like it and its nice to see it be more lenient than 3rd Strike. I think its a little more friendly for lower level players I guess -which is what I am lol. I'll pick it up soon. I am not in a rush to get it but I had to get the controllers right away and glad I reserved them as the sticks are going for crazy money. My parts should be here tomorrow so I'll mod it and play on proper parts for less money than the TE stick cost.

I ordered the TE Stick for $150. Money isn't really an issue so I'm not worried... except for that the sticks are back ordered so it may take awhile.

I'm also looking to get two of the handheld pads. Those are actually sold out everywhere around here (Orange County, CA) as well. I have credit with Best Buy so I'm just going to wait until they get more and order them online.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I downloaded SSFHD awhile back to bridge me to SF4. It's a good game, but honestly even with the updated graphics, they just didn't have many sprites to work with. Look into King of Fighters 12 in youtube and you'd see how a next gen 2d fighter should look.

Also, SSFHD did not have Dan.

SFHD Remix was not supposed to have Dan, or any other "new" characters beyond Super Turbo. HD Remix is simply Super Turbo with enhanced graphics but also new game-play, a few new special moves, slightly different input for some specials and also a set of new hit-boxes to make the game even deeper than before. SF Super Turbo was already renowned for being the most balanced and deepest fighter ever... proven time and time again and not until HD Remix dropped did anything surpass it.

I'm sure SFIV is dope... a lot of great reviews and from what I can tell hardcore players are saying it's actually a very, very good release and the best thing since the SF II days before it evolved into the garbage it became afterwards (SF3, Alpha, VS Capcom, etc).
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I ordered the TE Stick for $150. Money isn't really an issue so I'm not worried... except for that the sticks are back ordered so it may take awhile.

I'm also looking to get two of the handheld pads. Those are actually sold out everywhere around here (Orange County, CA) as well. I have credit with Best Buy so I'm just going to wait until they get more and order them online.

Yeah, if you're looking to really play the game at a high level you're going to have to use an arcade stick. Some people invest in a custom pad. I hate playing on the pad, always been more of the arcade type player VS console.

Playing a very well balanced / deep fighter such as HD Remix or SFIV the arcade stick is worth the investment... so much better than playing Queers of War or Galo where true skills are easily "glitched" in those type games.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Those who have played... who do you feel the Top 4 characters are in terms of tier (meaning, most likely to win the match if played by evenly skilled players).
Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Sagat
Zangief
Ryu

Are the clear top 3 so far... I'll probably add Akuma to the 4th...
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Sagat
Zangief
Ryu

Are the clear top 3 so far... I'll probably add Akuma to the 4th...

Akuma shouldn't count unless his godlike abilities have been nerfed. I figured Sagat and 'Gief to be among the top... high level players always abuse his SPD and grab attacks. They should have made 'Gief more ineffective against fireball players. He can block use the lariat to get through projectiles too easily.

Sagat's high'low fireball combination is just a death trap if you're timing is impeccible. How does his Tiger Knee work? Can you combo into it?

I would imagine Ryu is probably middle tier... Ryu's design has historically been that he's capable of having just a light advantage of all characters (minus Honda, where his advantage fire ball trap is too overpowering) but that any character has a legit shot to still defeat Ryu. Like Ken, where Ken has clear advantages and disadvantages over characters.

Balrog & Dhalism aren't top tier in this game?

They owned Super Tubro...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
kaiteng
Banned

Japanese Arcade Tier Listing of 2009:

Tier 1:
Sagat

Tier 2:
Ryu, Zangief

Tier 3:
Boxer, Dictator, Akuma, Chun-li, Blanka, Rufus

Tier 4:
Crimson Viper, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel

Tier 5:
Guile, Edmond Honda

Tier 6:
El Fuerte, Claw
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:

I would imagine Ryu is probably middle tier... Ryu's design has historically been that he's capable of having just a light advantage of all characters (minus Honda, where his advantage fire ball trap is too overpowering) but that any character has a legit shot to still defeat Ryu. Like Ken, where Ken has clear advantages and disadvantages over characters.
Ryu is good in this game because both of his super and ultra can easily be linked or juggled with his other moves.

Watch how Daigo plays with him and you'll see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUZO0...x=0&playnext=1

You can't just sit back and throw fireballs at your opponent, they can simply do a focus attack and fill up their revenge meter. Street fighter 4 involves a lot of pokes into combos and waiting for the opponent to make mistakes.

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 02-25-2009 at 12:38 PM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Ryu is good in this game because both of his super and ultra can easily be linked or juggled with his other moves.

Watch how Daigo plays with him and you'll see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUZO0...x=0&playnext=1

You can't just sit back and throw fireballs at your opponent, they can simply do a focus attack and fill up their revenge meter. Street fighter 4 involves a lot of pokes into combos and waiting for the opponent to make mistakes.

Thanks for the video link... I need to get back home ASAP LOL.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

ok i bought this game 2 days ago and i think its awesome. i got it for playstation 3. i dont know if anybody else has it for ps3, but i like it.

so anyway, im a little rusty with the SF games. The last one i owned was SF2 Turbo for Sega Genesis. So i have an incredible dumb question. I can pull off most of the simple special moves such as but the ones where you are supposed to "charge" in one direction the switch to the others, i can't pull off at all. for instance, blanka's beast roll has one of those change of direction moves and i can't pull it off. im very rusty with SF and i know this question makes me sound like a *****, but does anybody know what the timing is supposed to be on the controller with these moves? i can never pull um off.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

At least you're honest man... I give you that. I hate to tell you though, if you want to play online, you're going to get raped.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #29
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
At least you're honest man... I give you that. I hate to tell you though, if you want to play online, you're going to get raped.

i dont play video games online anyway, creeps me out. i just play with my idiot friends anyway and theyre on my level.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #30
kaiteng
Banned

Arcade is still better than online when it comes to fighting games.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: