Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation
Default Humanzee?

I'm watching something on the Science Channel about the controversy surrounding the possibility of and purported claims of making a human-chimpanzee hybrid through artificial insemination type means.

Thought? Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it. It seems so interesting, and, from a completely objective standpoint, it seems like a good idea, just to see what it would be like, but at the same time, it seems weird. I have no religious hang-ups or anything, it just seems weird. But for some odd reason, Ligers don't bother me at all...

Needless to say, I'm very intrigued.

EDIT: On the special is a very unique chimp (Oliver) that very well could be a humanzee (I doubt it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_(chimpanzee)

I haven't read much into Oliver, or finished the special, for that matter.

Last edited by HisAirness : 02-23-2009 at 01:51 AM.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Sanity
I know from experience

Sanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Humanzee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness
I'm watching something on the Science Channel about the controversy surrounding the possibility of and purported claims of making a human-chimpanzee hybrid through artificial insemination type means.

Thought? Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it. It seems so interesting, and, from a completely objective standpoint, it seems like a good idea, just to see what it would be like, but at the same time, it seems weird. I have no religious hang-ups or anything, it just seems weird. But for some odd reason, Ligers don't bother me at all...

Needless to say, I'm very intrigued.

I'm all for science but it gets to a certain point where they're just ****ing with nature. Ligers as an example are slow and I believe males are sterile.
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanity
I'm all for science but it gets to a certain point where they're just ****ing with nature. Ligers as an example are slow and I believe males are sterile.

IF what I've heard is correct, you are very right, they are sterile.

Maybe that's why it's weird to me. But I still am very intrigued...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

Apparently Oliver had 47 chromosomes. Humans have 46 and Chimps have 48.

Interesting. Still could be bogus... I'm not done watching .

EDIT: Upon reading the wiki, I'm sure its bogus.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

The wiki link has been taken down. They know we're onto to their dirty little secret
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
dwight20-20
future footer

dwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation here

Before we go any further, i think we should change the name to chimpmanzee. sounds much better.
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight20-20
Before we go any further, i think we should change the name to chimpmanzee. sounds much better.

Unfortunately not. The "sire" gets first rights on the portmanteau and the "dam" gets the second part.

The term Humanzee means the Human was the male, and the Chimpanzee was the female.

Same thing with Liger and Tigon.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
-primetime-

I hope this never happens or has never happened...

That scene from Aliens 3 where she walks in the lab and finds all the Alien/human hybrid mishaps comes to mind here...

I bet they would screw up a bunch before getting it right...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

I fixed the link.

Humanzee or not, Oliver is an amazing sight.

He for the most part, walks upright. It takes my breath away.

He also, has features that suggest human DNA, like his higher set ears and smaller head.

Oh, and the walking upright thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

these things always get me curious about what it would be but then i think what if something wrong happened and they like took over the world like in every zombie movie. cuz you know curiousity supposedly killed the cat
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #11
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

eerie
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness
Apparently Oliver had 47 chromosomes. Humans have 46 and Chimps have 48.

Interesting. Still could be bogus... I'm not done watching .

EDIT: Upon reading the wiki, I'm sure its bogus.

no he has the same number of chromosomes as a chimpanzee. but two bases were different which caused his behaviour and upright walking.. evolution no?

the study was bogus (the one that said he had 47).

heres the doco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6NkRUbI38
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanity

gotdamn sanity, everytime i see a post of yours, i find myself staring at your avatah..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
no he has the same number of chromosomes as a chimpanzee. but two bases were different which caused his behaviour and upright walking.. evolution no?

the study was bogus (the one that said he had 47).

heres the doco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6NkRUbI38

Yeah, I saw at the end that the first test was faulty. He still may be an undiscovered sub species, though.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bump.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: