Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #31
v-unit
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,150
v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Never called you a hater.

Didn't know you wen't on another forum (And who knows if you do)

I didn't get annoyed that he posted about another rapper, but he posted about another rapper that no one here clearly likes. If it got changed to a discussion about Nas, then whatever, I would have started talking about Nas.

Fact is you (and others) have made numerous posts about drake being overated, when dude wasn't rated high at all. He was just talked about (Because he released a mix tape).
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #32
starface
Banned
 
starface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,006
starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Jada is one of the most overrated rappers ever. He's regarded good for no reason at all. I have all of his cds, and they're nothing special. Boring if you ask me. Got some good songs but that's it.


there's a difference between being a bad rapper and having bad albums. see: canibus.


jadakiss' albums are so disappointing partially because of how good he is as a rapper. but overrated as a rapper?
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #33
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian
 
blasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,725
blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Never called you a hater.

Okay, but you called me a backpacker lol.

Quote:
Didn't know you wen't on another forum (And who knows if you do)
sohh and a hip hop facebook group.

Quote:
I didn't get annoyed that he posted about another rapper, but he posted about another rapper that no one here clearly likes. If it got changed to a discussion about Nas, then whatever, I would have started talking about Nas.
A bit of an assumption don't you think? As much as you complain about the so-called backpackers being so heavily judgmental towards mainstream artists, dont you think you share the same attitude toward underground music?

Quote:
Fact is you (and others) have made numerous posts about drake being overated, when dude wasn't rated high at all. He was just talked about (Because he released a mix tape).

Like I said, based on what I, as in me, not you, have seen, I believe that he's overrated. That's just my opinion. I commented on Drake in the thread about his latest mixtape(didn't know giving my personal opinion on it was a crime), the playtetris thread(I already explained why) and the latest thread that I made(even though I still said I thought he was good.) That's it as far as I know.

And this is what I'm talking about when I say that I think he's overrated.
http://forums.projectcovo.com/showthread.php?t=1629211
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #34
dware94
Banned
 
dware94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 999
dware94 has decent reputationdware94 has decent reputation
Default Re: How is drake overated?

who even said drake was overrated? because he isnt
dware94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #35
hito da god
look that way >>>>
 
hito da god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,206
hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: How is drake overated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsvsbl4r3v4

drake aint overrated... he's hot right now [more specifically last week] so of course he's gonna have a big buzz going. imo he has all the tools to be a superstar. if weezy's work ethic rubs off on him he'll be huge.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #36
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism
 
playtetris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a happy place
Posts: 4,923
playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
Tim Duncan could take out a full page newspaper add praising allen iverson, it wouldnt change how completely differently i view them as basketball players.

praising and collaborating are very different things. i do take your point, though.

humour me: what is it exactly that you don't like about DOOM besides his fanbase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Never called you a hater.

Didn't know you wen't on another forum (And who knows if you do)

I didn't get annoyed that he posted about another rapper, but he posted about another rapper that no one here clearly likes. If it got changed to a discussion about Nas, then whatever, I would have started talking about Nas.

Fact is you (and others) have made numerous posts about drake being overated, when dude wasn't rated high at all. He was just talked about (Because he released a mix tape).

firstly, it wasn't a rapper, it was a producer. secondly, the rapper on the track's skills >> your favourite emcees' current output. i know of at least a few dudes on here that dig him too, including gobb and blasian to name a couple. thirdly, the point of the thread was to introduce people to the rapper/producer, not to talk about some product of the hype machine that will catch an ephemeral buzz and then fade into obscurity.

p.s. the backpacker tag is really trite. neither blasian nor myself are backpackers in the true sense of the word. it's not like we spurn anything that is on a major label/gains mainstream recognition. on the other hand, people like you and starface dismiss artists because of their underground status all the time. it's really you and him that are the closed-minded ones.

Last edited by playtetris : 02-24-2009 at 11:17 PM.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #37
starface
Banned
 
starface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,006
starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
humour me: what is it exactly that you don't like about DOOM besides his fanbase?


did you hear the song you just linked to?
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #38
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism
 
playtetris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a happy place
Posts: 4,923
playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
did you hear the song you just linked to?



i hear an ill, original-sounding beat that DOOM absolutely lyrically slaughters. DOOM is one of the few dudes in the game that attempts to progress the genre and prevents hip hop from becoming stagnant.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #39
starface
Banned
 
starface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,006
starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
DOOM is one of the few dudes in the game that attempts to progress the genre and prevents hip hop from becoming stagnant.

you could say that about lil jon with 'crunk music' or necro with his rap-metal which i cant stand.

just because someone is experimenting doesnt mean it sounds good. i could experiment with ways to wipe my ass with sandpaper, doesnt mean its gonna be a quality experience. wouldnt expect anyone to give me props for ingenuity.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #40
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 18,496
qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
this new MF DOOM is the ****. unlike drake, he is not overrated at all and does not require a hype machine to generate buzz for his product.

check the links:

cellz (actual track starts at 1:53. sounds like a grimy rza beat with DOOM's trademark truncated snares)

album promo

qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #41
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism
 
playtetris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a happy place
Posts: 4,923
playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
you could say that about lil jon with 'crunk music' or necro with his rap-metal which i cant stand.

just because someone is experimenting doesnt mean it sounds good. i could experiment with ways to wipe my ass with sandpaper, doesnt mean its gonna be a quality experience. wouldnt expect anyone to give me props for ingenuity.

lil jon isn't hip hop: there is no lyrical content, a key component of the music. necro isn't my taste, but i give him props for doing his thing.

DOOM is on a different level to those two, though. while he experiments a great deal, he has a remarkable hit rate on his different projects. in fact, i would go so far to say he is one of the most consistently dope artists in hip hop. unlike necro, 90% of his catalogue is listenable AND creative. despite his use of a range of disparate producers, he still manages to create and maintain a distinct personality on tracks, something which a lot of artists cannot do.

your analogy is retarded. how is the trajectory of an artist's musical experimentation (the outcome of which is completely subjective) tantamount to wiping your arse with sandpaper (a universally idiotic decision)? one is necessary for the progression of a certain field (music) and artistic integrity, while the other is a completely useless, gratuitous action that serves no purpose whatsoever.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #42
Legendofthe718
Danze Manatee
 
Legendofthe718's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jack-n-Kill, FL
Posts: 674
Legendofthe718 has decent reputation
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
lil jon isn't hip hop: there is no lyrical content, a key component of the music. necro isn't my taste, but i give him props for doing his thing.

DOOM is on a different level to those two, though. while he experiments a great deal, he has a remarkable hit rate on his different projects. in fact, i would go so far to say he is one of the most consistently dope artists in hip hop. unlike necro, 90% of his catalogue is listenable AND creative. despite his use of a range of disparate producers, he still manages to create and maintain a distinct personality on tracks, something which a lot of artists cannot do.

your analogy is retarded. how is the trajectory of an artist's musical experimentation (the outcome of which is completely subjective) tantamount to wiping your arse with sandpaper (a universally idiotic decision)? one is necessary for the progression of a certain field (music) and artistic integrity, while the other is a completely useless, gratuitous action that serves no
purpose whatsoever.

This man speaks the truth, Doom's consistency is matched by very few and his content and production is so fresh. As far as this drake guy, I don't see much special in him and he doesn't sound like anything big. I can't speak much on if he's overrated or not because I've not heard much about him at all but he's just kind of ok. I don't see all the hooplah about him but leave it to vunit to exagerrate any one that even smells like little wayne's dreads.
Legendofthe718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
halffttime
shorty doowop
 
halffttime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 3,531
halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

off topic, my friend saw said dude rollin in a rolls royce..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #44
halffttime
shorty doowop
 
halffttime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 3,531
halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is drake overated?

i dont like his music. but thats just me..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #45
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,016
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How is drake overated?

Necro's production may be pretty wack at times, and his subject matter might induce vomiting and stomach nausea, but that man can spit with the best of them.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy