Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Oklahoma City Thunder Forum

Oklahoma City Thunder Forum Oklahoma City Thunder forum - OKC Thunder message board

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Buffalobraves has an OK reputation so far
Default Chandler likely headed to the Thunder..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

A solid trade for OKC Chandler is a great athlete, he's 7' 1", and he's only 26.

We wont have any cap space but I never really saw the Thunder making a run at any of the big name free agents in 2009 or 2010.

If we do get Chandler then I think we can rule out us drafting Thabeet in the draft.

Thoughts anyone?
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

ThunderCover has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Chandler likely headed to the Thunder..

Its official. Another excellent move by Presti. He didn't even give up a draft pick to get this done....

http://www.newsok.com/thunder-acquir...=breaking_news

Quote:
Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets
By Darnell Mayberry - Staff Writer
Published: February 17, 2009

The Thunder has acquired center Tyson Chandler from New Orleans in exchange for Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith, according to a league source with knowledge of the negotiations.

The Thunder will also include the draft rights to Devon Hardin, the 50th overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Chandler, 26, is one of the league’s best young defensive-oriented centers but has been hampered by chronic foot injuries this season. Chandler is averaging 8.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 32 games this year but averaged 11.8 points and 11.7 rebounds in 79 games last year.

The 7-foot-1 center became too expensive for the Hornets, who are in cost-cutting mode and face at $76 million payroll next season. Chandler has two years remaining on his contract after this season worth $24.6 million. He can opt out of the final year of his deal before the start of the 2010-11 season.

Wilcox and Smith both have expiring contracts, which will help New Orleans clear room on its salary cap next season

There is no question that this is another piece to the puzzle and makes us a better team. With Chandler and Krstic, we are pretty much set at center and can now look to upgrade the two spot...

I predict that the Thunder will be a playoff team next year, a year ahead of schedule...
ThunderCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Bulls fan here..

Great job by your GM.. think we can borrow him for until the deadline now that you got your trades done?

Look forward to your team being prominent in the near future, I love Durant, think he's the most underrated player in the league.
kshutts1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCover
Its official. Another excellent move by Presti. He didn't even give up a draft pick to get this done....

http://www.newsok.com/thunder-acquir...=breaking_news

There is no question that this is another piece to the puzzle and makes us a better team. With Chandler and Krstic, we are pretty much set at center and can now look to upgrade the two spot...

I predict that the Thunder will be a playoff team next year, a year ahead of schedule...
I agree, I think we will make the playoffs next year for sure. Once we get there I think we can sneak up on some teams and make a run late into it.

If we get the first pick in the lottery and draft Griffen that would give us solid starters at every position.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

ThunderCover has an OK reputation so far

Royce and Joe run an excellent blog for all things Thunder http://www.dailythunder.com/. Here's a post from Royce on the trade....

Quote:
I love this trade. I absolutely love everything about it. Sure Chandler’s numbers are a bit down this year but he hasn’t been completely healthy and frankly, I don’t think he’s been completely happy this year. But he’s a game changer for OKC. Right now, Nick Collison is starting at center and is playing horribly out of position. He’s a solid four, but for instance against the Lakers, Pau Gasol absolutely abused him. Nenad Krstic is a jump shooter and a decent post player but he’s not an enforcer in the paint. OKC needs a guy like Chandler. When he’s at his best, he’s a 12-12 type of guy and even at his “worst” he’s an 8-8 type of guy that can block shots - which is better than anything OKC’s got right now.

Great trade for OKC and another notch on Sam Presti’s “You got punk’d” belt (or “You got “Presti’d?”). Somehow he gives up a 33-year-old big man (Smith), another that hasn’t been playing real minutes in a month (Wilcox) and the 50th pick from last year’s draft (Devon Hardin). He keeps OKC’s five first round picks over the next two years and gets a 26-year-old 7-foot-1 big man that fills a huge need. I realize New Orleans was really trading for expiring contracts, but Presti made it happen and so far it looks nice.

I love a starting five of Westbrook, Weaver, Durant, Green and Chandler with Collison, Krstic and Watson off the bench. While it may not seem like it, this actually really helped OKC’s depth. Now you’ve got a quality big man like Nick Collison coming off the bench. Obviously, there’s a lot more to be done, but this is a great start. Welcome back (sort of) to Oklahoma, Tyson.
ThunderCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

The game will be interesting tonight. I don't get it because I don't live in Oklahoma City and I can't afford the NBA Network.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
kap
Great young streetballer

kap has decent reputation

pwned! LOL
kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Huey Freeman
PAO

Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap
pwned! LOL
A little late there...
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: