Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Back In Shape
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Anyone ever listen to the metal sub-sub-genre funeral doom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
That's what I was saying. lol

This doesn't have weird vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDMyI...eature=related

That's ok, but it gets tiring after the first 2 minutes. Still doesn't have the great flow of the simple stringwork and piano(or keyboard) that the intro had on the first song. An artist like Coldplay could probably run with that intro and sell millions.
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Well Metallica to me, Ride the Lightning atleast they come up with a good riff, and then just play it really fast over and over have a bridge where they solo, play the riff over and over and have boring, non catchy choruses.

My view of metal, yes I haven't listened to much. I know there is more than just the girly singers, there is also the deep voice psycho singers, and then guys who just yell.

However what I'm asking is there any band with a singer like Lou Reed?

I am ignorant to the genre though you are right. I'm just asking what the high pitch singing is about, I'm not saying that they all sing like that.

Catchy metal is what I like, and I don't like extremely repetitive same riff over and over for 8 minutes with non catchy verse or chorus. That is just me. I guess metal is impressive because of the extremely technical instrumentation? As a trained musician I am impressed by that as well, but most metal I would not want to listen to for long periods of time, just because it's impressive doesn't mean it isn't repetitive.

But again you are right. The metal I like is Helloween and um...some songs from other bands like my friend plays some viking metal stuff i like alot, but supposedly "legendary god metal" such as slayer and metallica I hear it and have listened to all the supposed classic albums over and over, to try and get them, to see if they sink in, but they really don't.
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Actually you're view of metal is quite narrow if you think every band has a vocalist who sings high pitched like the early 80's NWOBHM bands or growl like death metal and other related genres. Most simply shout. Not high pitched or growling.

Listen to some Danzig if you want a unique voice that isn't hard on the ears. Listen to some Dio. He has GOAT range in the metal game, but he doesn't have the annoying high pitch voice. Just really powerful.

I was just gonna mention Danzig in response to his comment. Danzig, for being a 5'4" weirdo that supposedly learned Jeet Kune Do from one of Bruce Lee's original students, was a diverse and powerful vocalist. He just can't really pronounce words very well. And his music has had substantial metal influence from the Misfits to Samhain to Danzig, some was more metal oriented than other, but the influence was always there.

Metal is ridiculously diverse in terms of vocalists and their respective styles. There's sub-genre upon sub-genre upon sub-genre, ranging from the high pitched of King Diamond, Helloween, Dragonforce (lol), to the low growl/gutturals of Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus, to the blend of clean vocals and more traditional metal sound like current In Flames or All That Remains or whoever and a lot of places in between. Danzig, Dio, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Phil Anselmo, Tom Araya, they're all some kinda "metal" vocalists and none of em sound anything alike.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
Well Metallica to me, Ride the Lightning atleast they come up with a good riff, and then just play it really fast over and over have a bridge where they solo, play the riff over and over and have boring, non catchy choruses.

My view of metal, yes I haven't listened to much. I know there is more than just the girly singers, there is also the deep voice psycho singers, and then guys who just yell.

However what I'm asking is there any band with a singer like Lou Reed?

I am ignorant to the genre though you are right. I'm just asking what the high pitch singing is about, I'm not saying that they all sing like that.

Catchy metal is what I like, and I don't like extremely repetitive same riff over and over for 8 minutes with non catchy verse or chorus. That is just me. I guess metal is impressive because of the extremely technical instrumentation? As a trained musician I am impressed by that as well, but most metal I would not want to listen to for long periods of time, just because it's impressive doesn't mean it isn't repetitive.

But again you are right. The metal I like is Helloween and um...some songs from other bands like my friend plays some viking metal stuff i like alot, but supposedly "legendary god metal" such as slayer and metallica I hear it and have listened to all the supposed classic albums over and over, to try and get them, to see if they sink in, but they really don't.

I hate Slayer. I agree with you that they are just noise.

Perhaps try a prog metal band such as Dream Theatre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7vv5zVH54w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq7xAEVQuPA

^ One of the best openings to a song ever.

Prog metal gets a little to pretentious at times and silly just like their prog rock counterparts, but when they hit it, they really hit it.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
PistolPete
The Pistol

The three top metal vocalists of all time to me have to be Halford, Dickinson, and Dio.

I've been listening to Nostradamus all day today and I dare to say Robbie sounds 100 times better than let's say on British Steel or SFV
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
lilmarcgasol
Banned

No you're right Dream Theater is one of the metal bands I really like, their album about the hypnosis, that is the one I own.

So Bathory and Danzig are good. Are there any more good badass metal bands that aren't evil and satanic that you reccomend? I'll listen to as much as I can, as I'm interested in all music and have wanted to listen to more metal I just can't find stuff I like
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #22
Back In Shape
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGuevara
I was just gonna mention Danzig in response to his comment. Danzig, for being a 5'4" weirdo

Danzig is only 5'4"? He looks like a big dude in the videos I have seen of him. Reminds of how shocked I was when I found out Mike Ness was only 5'6". Maybe it's because they portray themselves as big, tough guys(at least in the latter part of Danzig's career).
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
No you're right Dream Theater is one of the metal bands I really like, their album about the hypnosis, that is the one I own.

So Bathory and Danzig are good. Are there any good badass metal bands that aren't evil and satanic?

Man, most metal bands aren't.

I'll plug my fave band here:

Like most bands, they might have some "evil" lol lyrics, but most aren't. Just some good old fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdW8lt6u4RY

Now these lyrics could be seen as "evil"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4I4b99rr8
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #24
PistolPete
The Pistol

Quote:
Are there any good badass metal bands that aren't evil and satanic?

Pantera
Overkill
Exodus
Testament
Iced Earth
In Flames
Mastodon
Nevermore
Symphony X
Type O Negative
Fear Factory
Jag Panzer
Demons & Wizards
Down
Black Label Society
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
lilmarcgasol
Banned

I don't mind evil just I don't like the serious depressing ones all they sing about his killing and sacrifice to lucifer.

Also is alot of the metal scene know that they are cheeseballs? Like to me that is the whole appeal of metal, they play ridiculous music and sing about ridiculous things but they sing about it and play the music like they believe and are serious about what they're doing with every fiber of their being. Alot of the genre has abit of tongue and cheek in it right?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Some wicked sludge/stoner shiz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKe5gafiky8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zCc...eature=related

^ Awesome.

Quote:
I don't mind evil just I don't like the serious depressing ones all they sing about his killing and sacrifice to lucifer.

Also is alot of the metal scene know that they are cheeseballs? Like to me that is the whole appeal of metal, they play ridiculous music and sing about ridiculous things but they sing about it and play the music like they believe and are serious about what they're doing with every fiber of their being. Alot of the genre has abit of tongue and cheek in it right?

Some is, but a lot of metal is serious and has great lyrics (see Megadeth).

On the other hand I love Iron Maiden because they can make the cheesiest topics seem cool and build music around it that is amazing. No band has ever turned seemingly the cheesiest music ever into something great.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 02-26-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
I hate Slayer. I agree with you that they are just noise.

Blasphemy.

I don't really listen to a lot of newer "metal" bands, or "hardcore" or whatever they call themselves, but I know a lot of people that swear Job For A Cowboy, Bring Me The Horizon, Circle Takes Square, Bullet For My Valentine, and the like are the truth.

Although I can tolerate some I Killed The Prom Queen, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, and The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (but only because I like the guitarist and the bassist)

Notice how many words all these bands have in their names, and how they all lack brutality. Even the ones that relate to death are pussified. And if you see pictures/videos of said bands, their lack of brutality is blatantly obvious. Metal's just not the same as it used to be.

That's why I'm gonna stop cutting my hair and shaving, a start a metal band. For the name, all I need is one word to convey my brutality, and that word is Seagal. And the debut album will be Under Siege obviously. And I may have female groupies reference me as "The Glimmer Man" on occasion.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Blasphemy.

I don't really listen to a lot of newer "metal" bands, or "hardcore" or whatever they call themselves, but I know a lot of people that swear Job For A Cowboy, Bring Me The Horizon, Circle Takes Square, Bullet For My Valentine, and the like are the truth.

Although I can tolerate some I Killed The Prom Queen, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, and The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (but only because I like the guitarist and the bassist)

Notice how many words all these bands have in their names, and how they all lack brutality. Even the ones that relate to death are pussified. And if you see pictures/videos of said bands, their lack of brutality is blatantly obvious. Metal's just not the same as it used to be.

That's why I'm gonna stop cutting my hair and shaving, a start a metal band. For the name, all I need is one word to convey my brutality, and that word is Seagal. And the debut album will be Under Siege obviously. And I may have female groupies reference me as "The Glimmer Man" on occasion.

It's cause the metal you listen to is filled with garbage bands. There's nothing like that in doom/stoner/sluge. It's all hard. There's no gayness. Look at the band members of these bands. They're the real badass types. Heck, even a lot of black metal and **** has gone gay. When that first came out, it was all hardcore. Same with thrash.

Now you gotta go to doom and **** for everything to be legit.

Anyways my band would have been called Death Row...if not for a wicked as German thrash metal band taking it first. lol

Maybe Stonedead. First album would be The Apocalypse (again sounds like something stolen from a Euro trash band from the 80's lol).
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
Danzig is only 5'4"? He looks like a big dude in the videos I have seen of him. Reminds of how shocked I was when I found out Mike Ness was only 5'6". Maybe it's because they portray themselves as big, tough guys(at least in the latter part of Danzig's career).

Well, I could have exaggerated on 5'4", but he is not a big dude. I can't remember exactly now, but I wanna say Doyle was like 6'3"/6"4" and he towered over Danzig. Jerry and Doyle were both big cats, and if you watch old videos they usually kinda made Danzig look like a scrawny lil *****.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #30
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Well, I could have exaggerated on 5'4", but he is not a big dude. I can't remember exactly now, but I wanna say Doyle was like 6'3"/6"4" and he towered over Danzig. Jerry and Doyle were both big cats, and if you watch old videos they usually kinda made Danzig look like a scrawny lil *****.

Misfits were one of the few bands to be great with two different vocalists. What makes their case more amazing is the long hiatus between their first and second era. Thus, the sound was quite different compared to other bands that switch vocalists.

Iron Maiden had a noticeable change in sound, but it wasn't as big and they never stopped playing for what, almost a decade in between?

The only punk (they were much more than that) band I ever really liked.

Old with Danzig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNSZJj9G3s

Later version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ook3UxEp53c

Last edited by i seen hippos : 02-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: