Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #31
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Anyone ever listen to the metal sub-sub-genre funeral doom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Misfits were one of the few bands to be great with two different vocalists. What makes their case more amazing is the long hiatus between their first and second era. Thus, the sound was quite different compared to other bands that switch vocalists.

Iron Maiden had a noticeable change in sound, but it wasn't as big and they never stopped playing for what, almost a decade in between?

The only punk (they were much more than that) band I ever really liked.

It's just a damn shame that Jerry Only has ruined The Misfits with the current version. Hot garbage.

The original Misfits broke up right before Halloween 83, then reformed with Michale Graves in 95 I think, and released their first album in 97. So at least a dozen years passed between the two eras.

It's also a damn shame that they had to break up four years before I was born, cuz they used to do shows in Detroit all the time.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #32
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Coincidentally, those two songs were the alarms I set on my phone this morning to get my ass outta bed. Yesterday was We Are 138 and Cemetery Gates.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #33
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

two ex-members of Electric Wizard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128FsUsDvtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90U1M...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128Fs...eature=related

More doom in their new band Ramesses, but still have a little of the variation of EW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGuevara
Coincidentally, those two songs were the alarms I set on my phone this morning to get my ass outta bed. Yesterday was We Are 138 and Cemetery Gates.

LOL.

Same music tastes. Same age. Live a couple hours apart. We could start a metal band. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #34
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Must post the original doom metal song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #35
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was never a true "metal head" I did like some of the old school trash and heavy metal bands. I didn't like the hardcore scene much, too much screaming and I wasn't digging that much. Slipknot annoyed me, but I dug S.O.D. (yeah I know commercial, sue me).

Now.... if you guys wanna listen to some true "melodic" metal, check out one of the originators of the genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsNTJe5jGqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Txw...eature=related
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #36
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Child in Time is my favorite Deep Purple song ever.

"I wanna hear you sinnnngggg"
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #37
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Child in Time is my favorite Deep Purple song ever.

"I wanna hear you sinnnngggg"

Who would've thunk that an organ could rock so much.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #38
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

There were some key songs in the 60's/70's incorporating organs.

Now we're sluding it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zita1AjWIDw

I want the Rev. Bizarre/Electric Wizard 12" split.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GGB-XnskNo

The best band in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP5nL2xyuak
Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #39
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:

The best band in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP5nL2xyuak

And all this time I thought Radiohead was the best band in the world.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #40
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
And all this time I thought Radiohead was the best band in the world.

Radiohead is the best current rock band in the world by far.

But best band in the world? Electric Wizard.

You can trip out on this shiz hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4OawzSoxMM

That vid is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFw8k8bFphA

Straight doom

Last edited by i seen hippos : 02-27-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #41
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Radiohead is the best current rock band in the world by far.

But best band in the world? Electric Wizard.

You can trip out on this shiz hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4OawzSoxMM

That vid is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFw8k8bFphA

Straight doom

I gotta be honest, I've heard of this band but never heard them.

Not bad, but they're far from the best band in the world. From the little that I've heard I don't think they're even better than Tool.

But, they are growing on me, and it is the first time I've heard them.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #42
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I gotta be honest, I've heard of this band but never heard them.

Not bad, but they're far from the best band in the world. From the little that I've heard I don't think they're even better than Tool.

But, they are growing on me, and it is the first time I've heard them.

Listen to their entire discography. I can send you a link if you really want it. Going to bed so I can do it tomorrow. At least in my opinion they kill any metal band out there today. They ****ted on the genre when they released Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone. Then there latest album was closer to old school doom like Sabbath, but heavier of course. Nothing was close to that heavy at the time. They're more varied too in that they don't just play doom or stoner or sludge, etc.

Now I won't debate whether they're better than a rock band such as Radiohead. I like them more. Radiohead is out of this world and being unbiased I'd say they are better (technical ability, influence, originality, quality of music, etc.). But I'd listen to EW over them.

Consistently amazing metal. Really slow or fast. Heavy distortion or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_gqEi4KHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYv26Yk_zk

^ Starts at 5 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDO3sq9kHmY

Last edited by i seen hippos : 02-27-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #43
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Listen to their entire discography. I can send you a link if you really want it. Going to bed so I can do it tomorrow. At least in my opinion they kill any metal band out there today. They ****ted on the genre when they released Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone. Then there latest album was closer to old school doom like Sabbath, but heavier of course. Nothing was close to that heavy at the time. They're more varied too in that they don't just play doom or stoner or sludge, etc.

Now I won't debate whether they're better than a rock band such as Radiohead. I like them more. Radiohead is out of this world and being unbiased I'd say they are better (technical ability, influence, originality, quality of music, etc.). But I'd listen to EW over them.

Thanks for offering the link, but I'll stick to Youtube for now.

And its refreshing to know somebody can differentiate between personal preference and objectivity.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #44
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

And lol at whoever thought it was a man singing in the first song. Wow.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: