Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Lakerfan1-Iceland
Kids at the park dunk on me

Lakerfan1-Iceland has an OK reputation so far
Default Does Kobe have 2 more 25 ppg game seasons left in him?

Does Kobe have two 25 ppg 82 games seasons left in him?
If so he will have reached number 5 on the all time scoring list.
After this season he will have scored about 23.825 points in his career edging him past Charles Barkley at number 16 all time.
If he has two more seasons after this season with 25 points per game playing 82 games that makes 2050 points per season. After next season that would put him at 25.875 points at number 12 all time.
And one more season will get him to 27925 at number 5 all time. Quite a few points still behind Wilt 4,Jordan 3,Karl Malone 2 and Jabbar 1.

Here is the list http://www.nba.com/statistics/defaul...topic=4&stat=1

It is worth noting that Shaq is currently number 7 on that list and Allen Iverson is number 16 the only active players ahead of Kobe of active players.

But i do expect Shaq averages and games to continiu to decline but he will reach number 5 soon, most likely next season. Iverson i dont know whats gonna happen with him but i have a feeling that his 25-30 a game seasons are coming to a end, depends where he will sign next season.
But Kobe i think has a legimate chance at reaching Wilts total if he can keep playing at a high level for another 3-5 seasons.

I find this interesting, if you dont then do not reply to this thread :)
But we are watchin three players reach wery exclusive club and three definite all time greats and future hall of famers!

Another thing i do expect if the guy will keep doin what he does and doesnt get hit with serius injuries ala Grant Hill, Lebron James will come closer to Kareem and Malone than anyone, depends on how long he will play.
But after 5 and a half seasons the guy has allready scored 12254 points at this young age! Kevin Durant is another i think will truly be a great scorer in the future.

But Man Lebron will have close to 13000 career points after this season, with average of 27,5 points per game.
Lakerfan1-Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Does Kobe have 2 more 25 ppg game seasons left in him?

I'd say he has about 4 or 5 25ppg seasons still left in him. He's what, 30? He has one of the best midrange games in the league, and he's always a player that stays in good shape.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kobe is 30 not like 35....of course he has plenty more 25 PPG's seasons left in him.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Barring injuries he is gonna pass MJ but Malone is gonna depend on how long he wants to play. Kareem seems tough but its possible. But again really tough. I see him as the #2 or #3 scorer of all time.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Damn...when th h3ll did Kobe get old? Time flies.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

TheBigAristotle1 has an OK reputation so far

Kobe has an insane work ethic, so I think he will play untill he is 40, and still be an effective player. Guys who have a great work ethic have loooong careers. Look at Steve Nash, he played his best basketball after 30.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
Look at Steve Nash, he played his best basketball after 30.
He came out of college though...the high school players should theoretically retire kind of young.

Kobe and KG have about 5 years left IMO.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
He came out of college though...the high school players should theoretically retire kind of young.

Kobe and KG have about 5 years left IMO.

Kobe has very good conditioning and really hasn't had many injuries. He stays in great shape and essentially he could be an exception to the rule with his work ethic, conditioning, athletic ability and jumpshot.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
dazed27
Great young streetballer

dazed27 has decent reputation

i think kobe could end up as number 2 all time....

in the end is sad to say but i think kobe is going to be the 2nd best scorer ever and the second best player ever.....and the second best shooting guard ever....
dazed27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed27
i think kobe could end up as number 2 all time....

in the end is sad to say but i think kobe is going to be the 2nd best scorer ever and the second best player ever.....and the second best shooting guard ever....

nothing kobe can do could make him top 5-6 all time..
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
nothing kobe can do could make him top 5-6 all time..

Winning another 4 championships as the man would make me put him 2nd all time.

Another 2 or so as the man and I'd probably put him in the top 5.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
the.powerhouse
I hit open layups

the.powerhouse has an OK reputation so far

Judging by what he did at MSG I'd say even Kareem’s #1 might be in danger. Who knows how long he will keep playing! He might retire at 33. He might retire at 35. Or he might go all Stockton, Malone or Reggie on us and play until he's 40+!

Even at that age I bet Kobe could still be putting up 18ppg. His game is fundamentally sound and he is well conditioned.

I think it all depends on how many titles he wins over the next few years. If he manages to win two he'll retire early. If he wins one he might play till 37. If he goes without he may still be playing at 40.
the.powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

it will be interesting to see how the rest of Kobe's career plays out. Nobody in the history of the NBA has played as many games as he has (playoffs+regular season) through their 30th birthday. he has played in 1,072 regular season and playoff games combined. By comparison, michael jordan played 860 reg and playoff games through the same age.

kobe has already played more games than larry bird (1,061) and elgin baylor (980) did in their entire careers and he will catch magic johnson (1,096) and jerry west (1,085) this season for example. reggie miller is the only player i can think of that we can look as a comparable to kobe in this regards in terms of projecting his future: he is the only shooting guard to maintain his level of play (assuming a minimum level to begin with) beyond game 1,000 for a few hundred game. miller was not the same caliber-player of kobe, but he was basically just as good after his 1,100 game as he was in his 800th game.

my prediction is that kobe can average 25ppg for 4-5 more seasons. that could be a lot of games though if the lakers stay competitive. 90 games for the next 4 seasons (including playoffs, which is a very conservative number) would put kobe approaching 1,500 games for his career. by the time reggie reached that level, he was down to about a 10-14 ppg scorer dropping off from 18-21 in his peak. so even if kobe does drop off he maybe will still probably score 21-25. its just so hard to predict because we are just now getting to the stage of the nba where the influx of high school players in the mid-90s are reaching the game totals that other hall of famers reached.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
the.powerhouse
I hit open layups

the.powerhouse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
it will be interesting to see how the rest of Kobe's career plays out. Nobody in the history of the NBA has played as many games as he has (playoffs+regular season) through their 30th birthday. he has played in 1,072 regular season and playoff games combined. By comparison, michael jordan played 860 reg and playoff games through the same age.

kobe has already played more games than larry bird (1,061) and elgin baylor (980) did in their entire careers and he will catch magic johnson (1,096) and jerry west (1,085) this season for example. reggie miller is the only player i can think of that we can look as a comparable to kobe in this regards in terms of projecting his future: he is the only shooting guard to maintain his level of play (assuming a minimum level to begin with) beyond game 1,000 for a few hundred game. miller was not the same caliber-player of kobe, but he was basically just as good after his 1,100 game as he was in his 800th game.

my prediction is that kobe can average 25ppg for 4-5 more seasons. that could be a lot of games though if the lakers stay competitive. 90 games for the next 4 seasons (including playoffs, which is a very conservative number) would put kobe approaching 1,500 games for his career. by the time reggie reached that level, he was down to about a 10-14 ppg scorer dropping off from 18-21 in his peak. so even if kobe does drop off he maybe will still probably score 21-25. its just so hard to predict because we are just now getting to the stage of the nba where the influx of high school players in the mid-90s are reaching the game totals that other hall of famers reached.

Yea, he has got an unprecedented mileage on him. Plus is he also going to carry on playing for Team USA? World Championships are next year, plus I think they also have a qualifying tournament or something this year. Think he will sit that one out though if he ever wants to get that finger fixed!

His body will also benefit from all the rule changes that help protect guards. If he had been playing all those games in the 90s I bet his body would already be in breakdown mode.

Also, if MJ could come back and drop 20ppg at 40 I bet Kobe will want to prove that he can do the same;-)…
the.powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
c_az_a
Good High School Starter

c_az_a has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Kobe has very good conditioning and really hasn't had many injuries. He stays in great shape and essentially he could be an exception to the rule with his work ethic, conditioning, athletic ability and jumpshot.

All it takes is one shattering injury. Based on the last couple of years with injuries happening to the Lakers, i won't be surprised a career ending injury is upon number 24.
c_az_a is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: