Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #511
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Philadelphia Eagles Offseason/Draft/Free Agency News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Maybe because the Eagles have a lot of depth at corner. Perhaps since you're such a huge fan you'd know that their secondary is one of the strengths of the defense. Not to mention Maclin was a projected top 10 pick who had great value at pick 19. The Eagles took the best player available and in turn made their QB very happy and added a player maker to their offense, an instant impact player. With Davis he'd be your dime corner at most and would take time to develop, etc.

And just to add...

Primary needs were LT, RB, TE, WR. Not CB no matter how much Sheldon Brown is making a stink or the sportsmedia trying to add "CB" to the primary needs list. WR was a need because the QB asked for help. And since the Eagles didnt go hard at aquiring a bigtime WR they had to look at the draft. While Moreno was the target when he was gone and you see the #2 rated WR, and top 12 talent overall and projected top 10 pick there at 19? You make a move to add him because he has the abilities that make him a "weapon" which is what your QB is asking for. He's bigger, stronger than Desean Jackson only just as fast, elusive with the potential to be a gamebreaker at WR. Eagles run alot of slants and routes that are designed to get the reciever the ball where THEY have to make yards out of it which we refer to as YAC (yards after catch). Maclin is a YAC caliber WR. You dont take a damn CB over a WR with that ability/talent.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #512
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Do you think the Lions have taken Maclin to pair with Calvin Johnson if the Eagles didn't move up to 19?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #513
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
18 of 32 teams Maclin rated as the #1 WR in the draft.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9501382?GT1=39002
damn...
Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #514
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magic Man
Dang, what's up with all that? When did I pee in your lemonade? I understand that Maclin was the best projected player available. Just think the same will apply to Maclin almost as much as you're saying for Davis. Maybe not the Dime but definately a slot reciever for now. Also, I'd rather them had packaged the pick with other pieces to go get Boldin. And the secondary was a strength before the departures. Now you're just hoping and wishing.
Maclin will have a much bigger impact than any corner available in the draft. The Eagles use a lot of 3 WR sets and Maclin will be on the field A LOT. Maclin would see way more snaps than Davis would. He'll have a much bigger impact right away than Davis. It's worth mentioning again that it makes the QB very happy as well. Davis would be buried behind Samuel, Brown, Hansen, Hobbs, and Demps (plays corner in dime/quarter packages).

Departures? Like Lito Sheppard and Brian Dawkins? Not sure how much you watched last year but Lito was a dime corner that barely got on the field. I love Dawkins as all Eagle fans do but he was a big liability in coverage last year. If anything it's an addition by subtraction. Sean Jones could potentially be a great fit. Quinton Mikell had a pro bowl caliber year last year. We have great depth at corner even without Sheldon Brown. Speaking of Sheldon Brown the acquisition of Hobbs just makes it even more likely that he will remain an Eagle and be forced to play.

Last edited by MarloStanfield : 04-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #515
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Do you think the Lions have taken Maclin to pair with Calvin Johnson if the Eagles didn't move up to 19?
That would make sense and they'd have an incredibly dynamic and explosive WR duo.

I've been watching Maclin's highlights and hit tapes. He's so impressive and I see why although the Eagles had more pressing needs (in theory) but they couldn't pass on Maclin. He looks really really special.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #516
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Sheldon Brown says he will not be a locker room distraction:

Quote:
Eagles cornerback Sheldon Brown still isn't happy about his contract situation and he has no regrets about going public with his trade request a week ago today.

That doesn't mean he's about to boycott the team's mandatory post-draft camp at the NovaCare Complex that opens Friday.

"Yeah, I'll be there," Brown said before boarding a plane in South Carolina this afternoon.

The Eagles' veteran cornerback said he has no intention of being a disruptive force in the locker room.

"I didn't become a villain all of a sudden," he said. "I'm a professional. I've been in contact with Troy (Vincent)."

At the end of Vincent's eight-year run as a starting cornerback with the Eagles, he was unhappy about his contract situation, but he never protested by missing practice time during the offseason or training camp. Some players in the past -- Duce Staley, Bobby Taylor and Lito Sheppard -- have attended the team's mandatory post-draft camp, then skipped voluntary workouts later in the spring.

After this weekend's mandatory camp, the voluntary full-squad workouts are scheduled from June 2-5 and 8-11.

Brown was asked about a comment he made last week on 610 WIP radio in which he said, "They don't want me in that locker room."

"You can take that in another light," he said. "I'm the leader on the football team and it's bad for players to see me in a situation where I'm not happy. But I'm not going to blow up the NovaCare Complex. I'm not going to be one of the guys who puts on show week in and week out when the media comes to my locker."

Brown said he's also not worried about having to compete for a starting job with Ellis Hobbs, who the Eagles acquired for two fifth-round draft picks yesterday.

"I've always competed for my job," he said. "That doesn't matter to me. I have respect for Ellis. He's a guy who has played through injuries like me. He tore up his groin and didn't miss any time. He's a hard worker and he's trying to establish himself."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...RT_FRIDAY.html

Shines a little light on things. Sounds more like the Sheldon we know. His comment on WIP bothered me but I guess now he's trying to downplay that.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #517
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Dang, what's up with all that? When did I pee in your lemonade? I understand that Maclin was the best projected player available. Just think the same will apply to Maclin almost as much as you're saying for Davis. Maybe not the Dime but definately a slot reciever for now. Also, I'd rather them had packaged the pick with other pieces to go get Boldin. And the secondary was a strength before the departures. Now you're just hoping and wishing.

Eagles secondary departures...

Brian Dawkins S, Sean Considine S, Lito Sheppard CB (he didnt start and Hansen saw more action)

Eagles secondary arrivals...

Sean Jones S, Rashad Baker S, Ellis Hobbs CB, Macho Harris DB (rookie) and last years rookie who was out the entire season Jack Ikegwuonu CB is expected to factor in the secondary.

So you replace everything you lost last season.

So somehow we are hoping and wishing. What for?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #518
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Sheldon Brown says he will not be a locker room distraction:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...RT_FRIDAY.html

Shines a little light on things. Sounds more like the Sheldon we know. His comment on WIP bothered me but I guess now he's trying to downplay that.
Reading that makes me feel a lot better and is the type of professionalism I'd expect Sheldon to conduct himself with.

He does remind me of Troy Vincent. Props to Troy for continuing to mentor him and take him under his wing even though he essentially took Troy's job.

Troy Vincent is the epitome of a professional and one of the greatest Eagles ever.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #519
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:

Not surprising. He's always been professional for the most part. This latest incident shocks people moreso that he went public with it but I knew it bothered him when Lito was complaining as well. The things he has said were out of pure emotion. Upset, frustrated knowing that Eagles arent in no rush to trade him and I'm sure his agent has said that much to him. But at the end of the day I expect Sheldon to be at camp and playing up to his abilities. If I'm going to be shocked it will be if Sheldon didnt do any or all of these things.

Sheldon is the leader of this defense.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #520
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Some Eagles fan The Magic Man is. What a fraud.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #521
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Not surprising. He's always been professional for the most part. This latest incident shocks people moreso that he went public with it but I knew it bothered him when Lito was complaining as well. The things he has said were out of pure emotion. Upset, frustrated knowing that Eagles arent in no rush to trade him and I'm sure his agent has said that much to him. But at the end of the day I expect Sheldon to be at camp and playing up to his abilities. If I'm going to be shocked it will be if Sheldon didnt do any or all of these things.

Sheldon is the leader of this defense.
Agreed.

Btw off topic but Trent Cole is such a beast and pretty underrated league wide. If I'm not mistaken he led all DE's in tackles last year. He plays the run very well especially for someone considered an elite pass rusher that is undersized compared to most DE's.

It will be interested to see how Abiamiri comes along. He showed flashes late in the season and in the playoffs. If he plays well it really really helps our line because Cole/Howard/Parker are lethal in situational downs i.e. rushing the QB.

I know that the coaches all think Bunkley is going to break out and have a monster season and we all know he has the potential and played very well last year.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #522
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I love Trent Cole. What a find he was. He's definately improved against the run but at times I see him getting bullied by bigger LTs. But he isnt solely just a pass rusher as some seem to think. A casual fan will look at sacks + his size and assume "weak against the run.", Not even. Definately room for improvement to get even better but even if it doesnt happen how he plays now is good enough.

And yeah I wanna see what this kid Abiamiri really has. I like the size and see the talent but I wonder if he has a brain between his ears. lol He's made some questionable "wtf" plays last season. Can we really expect Darren Howard to pick up where he left last season? What a quiet productive year.

I'll see/try to keep tabs on Bryan Smith and how he is progressing from adding weight to learning the defense.

But man I dont like Juqua Parker at all.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #523
The Magic Man
Gots Ta Be Li Showtam!

The Magic Man is a pretty well-respected posterThe Magic Man is a pretty well-respected posterThe Magic Man is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Eagles secondary departures...

Brian Dawkins S, Sean Considine S, Lito Sheppard CB (he didnt start and Hansen saw more action)

Eagles secondary arrivals...

Sean Jones S, Rashad Baker S, Ellis Hobbs CB, Macho Harris DB (rookie) and last years rookie who was out the entire season Jack Ikegwuonu CB is expected to factor in the secondary.

So you replace everything you lost last season.

So somehow we are hoping and wishing. What for?

You're acting like Dawkins, as much as a liability as he was at times, wasn't the heart, soul, and MVP of not only the defense, but the entire team during the end of the season leading into the playoffs. Considine was never someone I cared for but he was solid. Sean Jones is a good player. I like the Hobbs pick-up. But they have never taken a snap for the Eagles. Yea, I'd say you are hoping and wishing it works out, just like I am.

I hope Maclin is a great player. I was only wondering why you wouldn't even consider Davis. I wasn't trying to be an a$$ or anything, unlike you two. Funny thing is, before the draft, I said we need help at WR. You guys jumped all over me. Then they draft Maclin. You guys weren't the least bit happy about it. Then after watching some film, you're ready to go out and buy a Maclin jersey. Yea, I'm the fraud.

And GOBB. Seriously. You are being very ridiculous right now. Marlo you are too, just not as ignorant as GOBB is. What's with trying so hard to make me seem like I don't like the Eagles? Why would you even care that much? Funny thing is, I love the Eagles, but they haven't won a God damned thing and you fools are acting like I'm bandwagoning the 10 time Superbowl Champions. I initialy came in asking about the state of the team because I haven't been keeping up, especialy being on the west coast. I figured you guys would give a more up close and personal view of the team. Guess, you guys got a little too personal.
The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #524
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
You're acting like Dawkins, as much as a liability as he was at times, wasn't the heart, soul, and MVP of not only the defense, but the entire team during the end of the season leading into the playoffs. Considine was never someone I cared for but he was solid. Sean Jones is a good player. I like the Hobbs pick-up. But they have never taken a snap for the Eagles. Yea, I'd say you are hoping and wishing it works out, just like I am.

So I'm hoping and wishing it works out? The secondary has only changed with Brian Dawkins leaving. Q.Demps and Sean Jones will battle for the Safety spot. That is the only significent difference with the secondary.

Sheldon Brown, Joselio Hansen, Asante Samuel are the CBs and Q.Mikell is the Safety. All these guys were here last season. 1 starter is gone and now I'm HOPING AND WISHING. Why is that you claim I'm hoping/wishing the new additions work out. Yet if this secondary stayed the same (kept dawkins/considine) I'm no longer hoping and wishing? Answer me that. Last I checked Brian Dawkins isnt the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

You dont make much sense. Eagles got younger and faster in place of Considine and Dawkins. Dawkins in the lockeroom is hard to replace. Dawkins on the field ISNT. But somehow I'm hoping and wishing this were true.

Quote:
I hope Maclin is a great player. I was only wondering why you wouldn't even consider Davis. I wasn't trying to be an a$$ or anything, unlike you two. Funny thing is, before the draft, I said we need help at WR. You guys jumped all over me. Then they draft Maclin. You guys weren't the least bit happy about it. Then after watching some film, you're ready to go out and buy a Maclin jersey. Yea, I'm the fraud.

I'm a college football player. I've seen Maclin when he first entered college until he was drafted. I am into the NFL draft. I am into the NFL. So dont act like I had no clue to who Jeremy Maclin is. My draft list was Moreno, Ayers, Nicks. I felt Hakeem Nicks would have been a better compliment to the offense given his size. He is similar to Moose Muhammed/Anquan Boldin. A big target, physical, great hands who isnt a speedster but can catch and get good yardage after the catch (YAC). He also provides a big target in the redzone.

I dont see how i was ready to go out and buy a Maclin jersey. Check out my latest post on Maclin. I ended it with "I'll be at the dinner table waiting to eat crow" implying I hope Maclin makes me eat crow for 2nd guessing, doubting how he will perform here as an Eagle.

I'm a big Desean Jackson fan and wanted him before the draft started. For the Eagles to get him regardless of his knocks people had (similar to Maclin ironically) I was in full support because it was a guy I wanted. Maclin wasnt someone i wanted. But he isnt a bad pick either. And from reading the Eagles didnt even have Hakeem Nicks on thier radar? It makes me get over not getting him because considering who they had on thier radar was not better than Maclin. I never wanted Vontae and Pettigrew I only would have considered if RB Moreno, DE Ayers, WR Nicks, RB Donald Brown were all gone at 21. Thus a trade down for him wouldnt have been bad.

So basically my point is putting into perspective who the Eagles had on thier board vs mine. Neither I nor the Eagles expected Maclin to be there at 21 or near 21. Great pick in terms of how high Maclin rated vs where they got him. But I have my concerns, questions and I want to see how he fares. I dont see how that means I'm going out buying a Maclin jersey.

No fraud here. I'm more knowledgable than you.

Sidenote: My BOOOOOOOOO'ing of the pick was a typical knee jerk reaction from it conflicting with my want list. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Quote:
And GOBB. Seriously. You are being very ridiculous right now. Marlo you are too, just not as ignorant as GOBB is. What's with trying so hard to make me seem like I don't like the Eagles? Why would you even care that much? Funny thing is, I love the Eagles, but they haven't won a God damned thing and you fools are acting like I'm bandwagoning the 10 time Superbowl Champions. I initialy came in asking about the state of the team because I haven't been keeping up, especialy being on the west coast. I figured you guys would give a more up close and personal view of the team. Guess, you guys got a little too personal.

You love the Eagles but when you talk about the Eagles it says otherwise.

I am not trying to make it seem you dont like the Eagles. You dig yourself into a hole and I pull up with the john deer equipment and help you dig deeper. I am trying to make you see you arent a fan moreso a fraud. You can like the Eagles but dont say you're a fan. You're not. Dont lie.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #525
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Boxscore watchin:

McCoy averaged 24 carries per game. Out of a total of 13 games last year, 5 were 26 carries or more, and 2 of those games he had 32 and 33 carries. Dude's a horse.

McCoy had 28 carries, 142 yards (5.1 average), and 2 TD's vs. the Big East's #1 run defense, USF.

Jeremy Maclin had 11 catches (2nd highest of the season), 134 yards (3rd highest of the season), and 2 TD's vs. the Big 12's #1 pass defense, Colorado.

Maclin carried the ball 35 times for a 7.3 ypc average and 2 TD's. (carried 51 times for 4 TD's as a freshman)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: