Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #646
NoGunzJustSkillz

Default Re: Philadelphia Eagles Offseason/Draft/Free Agency News

front page of espn says mcnabb to bolding closer to reality but it's an inside espn article...anybody with subscription wanna share the artlice please?
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #647
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
front page of espn says mcnabb to bolding closer to reality but it's an inside espn article...anybody with subscription wanna share the artlice please?
ESPN Insider's a waste of money. Nothing in it is really "inside" information. It's mostly speculation.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #648
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

a Reid interview was just played on ESPN...

he said that they were in detailed talks with Arizona for Boldin and offered alot but the Cards were not interested and he got the impression that they aren't interested in trading him at all...

they asked Reid what he offered and he wouldn't say but then went on to say that we should just assume that what they were asking for is around a 1st/3rd/5th (Roy Williams to Dallas) however, unlike Williams, Boldin still has just 2 years left on his contract and they are the $$$ years and then would have to be resigned right away after that...

ESPN then went on to say that due to Boldin's contract and where he is at this point in time it is going to make it almost impossible to move Boldin...they are just gonna wait out the 2 years...

and yeah, I am happy he isn't going to become another weapon for McNabb... ...or Eli for that matter...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #649
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~

and yeah, I am happy he isn't going to become another weapon for McNabb... ...or Eli for that matter...

thats true but We still make out the best in the division.... you lose TO and NY loses Plax...

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #650
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Here is a kid I'm interested in...

Quote:
After a year off, Smith's set to rush in

By LES BOWEN
Philadelphia Daily News

bowenl@phillynews.com

SOME DAYS, Bryan Smith really misses the Quarter Pounders. They were his favorite.

But, counterintuitive as it might seem, if you're going to put on weight to play defensive end in the NFL, you have to make sacrifices.

"When I drive by McDonald's, I look in but I don't stop," the Eagles' 2008 third-round draft choice said this week.

It's a strange place sometimes, pro football. In what other universe does a guy set out to gain 30 or 40 pounds when he gets out of college? While carefully avoiding fast food, and most of the other stuff that traditionally adds pounds?

Smith's lightning-fast first step got him drafted out of Division I-AA McNeese State, in Lake Charles, La. His 20-yard shuttle time of 4.40 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine was identical to that of Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, who ended up going sixth overall, to the Jets. But lots of people considered Smith a reach in the third round, because, as Smith acknowledges, he weighed 217 at the start of his senior season. That's a nice weight for a 6-2 safety, not for a guy who's going to be putting his hand down in front of 350-pound offensive tackles.

Why so light? Smith said money played a role. Hurricane Rita devastated McNeese housing in September 2005. Smith chose to live off-campus, on a stipend that he said barely covered the basics. Like many college students, he found paying for food a challenge, he said. His diet was poor. The Quarter Pounder was a feast.

Smith knew he could be bigger, maybe ought to be bigger. By the time he finished his college eligibility, his identical twin brother, Ryan, had completed his football career at Stephen F. Austin and was carrying 260 pounds on a frame that was, of course, just like Bryan's. Ryan was driving a beer truck for a living and making enough money to eat whatever he wanted.

Many draft experts projected Smith as an outside linebacker, even though he had been I-AA's dominant edge rusher his final two college seasons. The Eagles did not draft him as an outside linebacker. Defensive-line coach Pete Jenkins, a believer in strength over bulk, looked at all the top 2008 defensive ends on film and was unimpressed with the big names, finding them weak and less than impressive in using their hands to fend off blockers. Jenkins really liked the way the kid from McNeese State used his hands. Jenkins thought Smith looked a little like Trent Cole must have looked in college.

So defensive end it was, and Smith made it seem like less of a stab in the dark by nudging his weight to 231 by the draft, he said. He had to be careful, though. If he lost even a little quickness, he would no longer be the guy on that film Jenkins liked so much. Smith had to add muscle to an already muscular physique, without becoming bulky or top-heavy. Tricky, especially if you aren't on the A-Rod diet.

"I've worked out a lot, ate the right foods, taken a lot of protein," said Smith, who said he now weighs 250, heading toward 255, he hopes. "Eaten as much as I could, then worked out, so I wouldn't get fat with it. You've got to work real hard [as you add weight]. It's easier to be quick, when you're smaller."

Smith made a favorable impression in training camp, after getting over a hamstring injury, and did not look overmatched in preseason games. In the preseason finale against the Jets, he was credited with 11 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks. When the season started, given the wrist surgery that delayed the start of Victor Abiamiri's year, Smith seemed likely to figure in the defensive-end rotation. Except it turned out he didn't.

Darren Howard, who had appeared to be drifting out of the picture a year earlier, put together his best Eagles season. Abiamiri recovered and came on strong down the stretch. Free-agent signee Chris Clemons started slow but finished strong. Smith remained on the 53-man roster, practiced every week. He was healthy, but he never played. Every game day, his name was announced among the inactives.

"You can't control everything," Smith said. "I learned that along with being a very physical sport, at this level, it's also a very mental sport. It's a long season. You have to stay mentally tough and mentally focused, to be able to come in day in and day out and learn what the coaches want you to learn."

The Eagles did not draft a defensive lineman last month, for only the second time in 11 drafts under Andy Reid. They seem to expect Smith to step forward this year, much as Abiamiri eventually did in his second season after playing very rarely as a rookie.

"I think it's an opportunity for me to go out and show what I can do. That's how I take that; I don't think I've got a spot [locked up] or anything," Smith said.

Obviously not. Despite positive reviews last preseason, Smith is the only healthy third-rounder in the Reid Era to never get in a game as a rookie. Winston Justice, drafted in the second round in 2006, never saw the field that year; Smith probably isn't hoping to match Justice's career arc.

Furthermore, Jenkins, the guy who might have been Smith's biggest advocate, retired this offseason. Former special-teams coordinator Rory Segrest is the new defensive-line coach.

"All we've had is minicamp, but so far, nothing much has changed. They pretty much do the same things," Smith said.

Though there are no draftees to fend off, none of last year's d-ends has left the fold, either. Smith might need someone to get hurt in order to get a real chance to show what he can do.

What does he think he needs to show the Eagles?

"I can do what they ask - I'm speedy and quick, I can play the run and also play the pass," Smith said. *

For more Eagles coverage and opinion,

read the Daily News' Eagles blog, Eagletarian, at www.eagletarian.com.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #651
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Garrett Reid sent to prison after failing a drug test at a halfway house yesterday

Jackass trying to mess with our season.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #652
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPew...eature=related

look at what Demps does to the kicker (#3)
Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #653
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

The AZ Republic says we offered Sheldon Brown and a 3rd rounder for Boldin at the time of the draft
Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #654
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

from Asante Samuel's twitter:

Quote:
"I'm losin madden at the moment, maybe its those superbowl rings weighing my hand down.......dunno."

also says the Eagles will win the Super Bowl and that Maclin will be a top 5 rook. on Trent Cole's twitter he jokes that he's gonna get more picks than Asante
Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #655
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

asantes gonna really suck @ madden 11, with three of those monstrous rings on his fingers.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #656
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Jim Johnson is taking a leave of absence for his chemotherapy.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #657
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

This is cool news:

Pisa Tinoisamoa is scheduled to come in for a visit. He would upgrade our weakest position on defense (WLB)

link:

"ESPN's Tim Graham reports that in addition to the Bears, free agent LB Pisa Tinoisamoa has scheduled a visit with the Eagles.
Tinoisamoa could play his natural weak-side linebacker position in Philly, although he'd have to hold off Omar Gaither and Akeem Jordan. Smartly, Pisa is talking to teams with lots of cap room. He could get a multi-year deal.
Source: ESPN.com"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #658
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Pisa would be great. Led the Rams in tackles last season and he's still young. I believe he's had some injury problems? Eagles have had a history of bringing in LB's that can help. Shawn Barber, Trotter, Spikes, Pisa possibly.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #659
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I thought I just read on Philly.com that he wasnt coming in....

Maybe I misread that....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #660
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Pisa would be great. Led the Rams in tackles last season and he's still young. I believe he's had some injury problems? Eagles have had a history of bringing in LB's that can help. Shawn Barber, Trotter, Spikes, Pisa possibly.
If we land Pisa, oh man that'd be swell, lol.

For the first time in the Reid/Banner era we'll have 3 good starting linebackers.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: