Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #661
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Philadelphia Eagles Offseason/Draft/Free Agency News

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...cmpid=16339736

Philly.com says he isnt scheduled... That doesnt mean he wont be.. but according to them, he isnt right now
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #662
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

you know how to ruin fun
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #663
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
you know how to ruin fun
meh i think rotoworld is a better source that philly.com
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #664
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
meh i think rotoworld is a better source that philly.com
The rotoworld article was quoting ESPN though.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #665
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Dennnis Dillon of the Sporting News ranked Cornelius Ingram as "one of the top 10 rookies to have immediate impact".
Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #666
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

couple good articles from G Cobb on the eagles and the development of their young guys

Quote:
Ricky Watters Talks About McCoy
Written by Garry Cobb
Tuesday, 26 May 2009
I told LeSean McCoy to call Ricky Watters and talk to him about playing running back in the west coast offense. They went to the same high school in Harrisburg and Ricky is one of his heroes.
He hasn't done it yet but there are things that he can get from Watters that he can't get from a coach. A guy who has played and excelled at a position in a certain offense knows keys that are noticeable that can help be successful in the running the offense.

Watters was the classic west coast offense back, who was as good of a receiver as he was a running back.

I saw that the Eagles website had some quotes in it from Watters.

"I think he has a set of skills that can definitely help the team," said Watters. "It all depends on how he matures and how fast he matures because it is a big leap. It's definitely a big leap; there is a lot to learn. But if anyone can do it I think he can."

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told me after practice that McCoy is doing a good job of picking up the information but he has to digest more than everybody else because of what they ask the Brian Westbrook and the running backs to do.

They had McCoy lining up all over the place today and he was running numerous routes. He had some trouble picking up some of the route adjustments he had to make on the run.

It was the first day of work today for some the Eagles young players like Lorenzo Booker and Danny Klecko.

Booker still looks too light to do anything but catch the ball out of the backfield. I think his days are numbered unless he shocks me.

He was helping out McCoy today who was trying to digest additional plays and formations that the Eagles put in this morning.

After the experiment at fullback, Klecko is back to playing defensive tackle and happy about it. He said he prefers playing DT than fullback.

Quote:
Maclin Is No Longer Gliding
Written by Garry Cobb
Tuesday, 26 May 2009
Joe Banner, Howie Roseman and Tom Heckert were at the practice today which was held in the Eagles inside practice struggle because of the inclement weather.
I'm sure they were trying to get a close look at their young receiving talent.

Jeremy Maclin and the receivers were running a series of 10 yard routes. They ran10 yard curls(inside), hook (outside), outs, slants, trails (inside crossing routes) and digs.

The message of pumping his arms has gotten through to Maclin.

The Eagles coaches rode Maclin for practice sessions right after the draft and they rode him last week about pumping his arms throughout his pass routes. They have told him over and over that if he's not pumping his arms, he's not going full speed.

The speed of the arms pumping gets your feet moving at full speed. They said he was gliding because he would stop pumping his arms when he saw the ball in the air and sometimes before it.

The coaches want him going full speed, so they stressed him pumping his arms. I had to smile when the kid was pumping those arms today. His routes looked crisper and he's getting in and out of his breaks quicker.

You might not think, pumping arms is that big of a deal but attention to detail is what seperates the great players from the good ones and the guys who get cut.

Maclin caught the ball well and didn't make any noticeable mistakes in his routes. He's doing a good job of picking up his assignments.

Quote:
Kolb Needs Better Decision-Making
Written by Garry Cobb
Tuesday, 26 May 2009
As I was watching the Eagles rookies and young veterans at the OTA today, I made it a point to keep a note of what and how Kevin Kolb was doing.
The young man was surprised by the reactions to his statements last week. He told me he didn't see anything wrong with what he said. Being quarterback of the Eagles means having everybody going back through everything you say.

Philly doesn't care what the mayor says or what the governor says they care what the Eagles quarterback and head coach have to say.

I thought the statements he made last week were reasonable about wanting to play but he needs to play with the consistency needed of a starting quarterback.

That means not trying to make throws in practice like the guy who started for the Jets last year and is maybe retired.

The former Houston Cougar had a good day today which is usually the case, except for a few plays.

Kolb has a short compact throwing motion, which seems to fit the short passing game of the west coast offense, but he always makes a throw or two that makes you say why did he throw that. You know kind of like that throw that was picked off by Ed Reed.

For example today, wide receiver Shaheer McBride was running a curl route but he lost his footing and was slipping as he came out of his break. Normally a smart quarterback will come off fo this receiver and throw the ball to somebody else.

McBride had one hand on the ground and only one hand available to try to make the catch. What did 3rd year quarterback Kolb do?

He threw the ball anyway and the pass was picked off after being tipped in the air. This was a bad decision.

On the very next play, Kolb tried to connect with rookie tight end Cornelius Ingram who was well covered. Ingram set up over the middle with a linebacker on one side and another linebacker on the other.

There's no way in the world anybody could have gotten that ball to the young tight end. Kolb threw it any way and it turned into an off to the races situation for the defense.

The pass was deflected and picked off by safety Sean Jones.

The Eagles coaches don't say anything but every times he throws a couple picks like that in a row, it registers.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #667
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

so the 2003 NCAA slam dunk champ is in our rookie camp

see the vid of the dunks here
Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #668
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Assistant.html

Quote:
The immediate thought following the report by Dallas' WFAA-TV blog about the Eagles hiring former Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart as a defensive assistant is that this is more bad news about Jim Johnson's situation. A source close to the situation has confirmed the Dallas blog report, and said that the hiring will be announced next week.

Presumably, Stewart is going to take over the secondary, which Sean McDermott has been trying to run while also filling Johnson's role as defensive coordinator. Johnson has taken an indefinite leave of absence to fight metastasized melanoma.

If the Eagles felt Johnson was close to returning, they wouldn't feel the need to add to the staff; McDermott's helper in the secondary, longtime NFL corner Otis Smith, ran the d-backs last week in rookie camp. The additional hiring, assuming it is true, seems to confirm what has been feared -- that Johnson might not be able to resume his duties this season, if at all.

ESPN.com blogger Matt Mosley points out that Stewart, who lost his job in the fallout from the Cowboys' season-ending 44-6 loss to the host Eagles, has a longstanding connection to Eagles coach Andy Reid.

Mosley writes that Reid and Stewart "have remained close since they were at Northern Arizona together in the mid-1980s. Reid coached the offensive line and Stewart played cornerback. Both men grew up in Los Angeles and spent time at junior colleges in the area."

Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #669
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

What do the Eagle fans want to happen in the off-season as far as players go?

You're likely to have a top 5ish pick. Who do you want? Any of the QB's?

Your franchise LT is coming back. Is Aso going to be cut? What about Foles, is he your guy? Cromartie gone?
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #670
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Your franchise LT is coming back. Is Aso going to be cut? What about Foles, is he your guy? Cromartie gone?

OT. I don't know the top prospects in the draft. Haven't followed college football at all. Whoever the stud is? Draft him
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #671
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

There's not a first round caliber QB in the draft. That said, there's also not a first round caliber QB on the current roster imo.

I believe Vick will be cut to save the $7 mil they owe him Feb 2 or 3. They'll bring in a FA to compete with Foles for the job. Neither will be the long term answer, but with a healthy O-line they'll be better than this year.

I'm not a salary cap guy, so don't know the ramifications of cutting high priced players on defense. I do know they're significantly under the cap, so can be active players in the market.

This is a really weak draft class. Not sure where you go for help. They do have 8 picks overall (1-7, plus an undisclosed from Denver for Bunkley) and some assets to trade.

It's going to be an interesting off season which, frustratingly, will be more small moves than big. The team is nowhere near competing, the offensive and defensive schemes both will require a major overhaul, and there isn't a savior in the draft.

But, as a fan of 45+ years, I'd rather see a team making moves and fighting for respectability than the crap they've shown the last two years.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #672
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's a great draft for what you guys need. The draft is weak at skill positions, something you're perfectly fine at.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #673
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

lol, there just really isn't much out there in terms of QB

could call Seattle about Flynn

Matt Moore could be serviceable

I bet Alex Smith will be looking for a new home

after reviewing the options here I am wondering if Vick actually returns...maybe they rework his contract or something, keeping him might be the best option
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #674
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
lol, there just really isn't much out there in terms of QB

could call Seattle about Flynn

Matt Moore could be serviceable

I bet Alex Smith will be looking for a new home

after reviewing the options here I am wondering if Vick actually returns...maybe they rework his contract or something, keeping him might be the best option

Vick is shot. Why would they do that again?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #675
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
It's a great draft for what you guys need. The draft is weak at skill positions, something you're perfectly fine at.

OK, enlighten me. Aren't you the one that asked the original question, or was that a fishing trip?

The O-line, if healthy, is in pretty good shape. It doesn't appear Watkins can play at this level, so that's an area of need. Solid at RB and TE. I'd like to see the addition of a big WR.

The young LB have shown promise, and Ryans is only 28 and should serve as a good mentor. D-line has proven the ability to play; I think this Wide 9 system blows chunks. Entire defensive backfield is a disaster.

Who are the great prospects that fill their needs? Always interested in those that follow college football more than I do.

Then, after answering that, please explain why you asked the initial question.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: