Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #106
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Philadelphia Eagles Offseason/Draft/Free Agency News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Those extra picks wouldnt be bad to add with 1 of our 2 first rounders in attempts to move up.
If there is some1 we are targeting I agree but who is a need worth moving up for? There are a lot of great tackle prospects so you have to think one will drop to use. Also at RB there is a great chance that all 3 of the stud RB's will be available @ pick 21. Kind of perfect how everything is projected to go down.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #107
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Thought this was an interesting read that you guys might enjoy...

Qualitative

Lindy's ranks all of the teams, based on their drafts over the past four years (2004-08). Only two teams (Giants & Colts) received a higher grade than the Eagles. Additionally, four teams received the same grade (B+) as the Eagles.

1. New York Giants A
2. Indianapolis Colts A-
3. Baltimore Ravens B+
Carolina Panthers B+
Houston Texans B+
Philadelphia Eagles B+
San Diego Chargers B+

After those top seven, there were nine teams receiving a B, six teams with a B-, four with a C+, three with a C, one C-, and two Ds (Lions & Rams).

Conclusion: From a qualitative standpoint, it appears that Lindy’s grades the Eagles as above average (compared to the rest of the league), for the last five drafts.

Quantitative

Besides grading all the teams over the last five years, Lindy’s also breaks down the current status of all of those picks. They categorize all of the picks as "Starter”, "Backup”, "On Other Team”, and "Out of NFL”. Note that the Starter & Backup categories only apply to the team that originally drafted them.
Disclaimer: There are obvious issues with looking at this data, because a not all starters are created equal, and not all backups are created equal. But again, this is purely quantitative.

I originally thought about taking into consideration the number of picks a team made. For instance getting 5 starters out of 20 picks would be better than getting 5 starters out of 40 picks. However, I ultimately decided against this. My reasoning was that all teams start out with basically the same number of picks (not considering the compensatory picks). If a team (like the Eagles) wants to trade their 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd, then that’s how they are choosing to use their resources to draft their players. If you get one starter out of that 1st or one starter out of that 2nd & 3rd you still used the same available resources.

Total Number of Picks
The Eagles had 47 picks over the 5-year span, which was above the league average (39.8). The high was the Bucs (52) and the low was Skins (31), which makes sense because they are always trading picks for players.

Starters
The Eagles drafted 10 starters during the span. Not exactly sure what their criteria was for being considered a "starter”, but I guess the 10 would come out of these 11 players (Andrews, Patterson, Herremans, Cole, Bunkley, Gocong, Jean-Gilles, Abiamiri, Bradley, Celek, Jackson).

The league average was 10.3 starters, with a high of 14(Jax) and a low of 5 (Lions!).

The Eagles were right on the league average, but this is far from a perfect measure. Something tells me that it is easier for a young player to be a "starter” on a bad team like the Bengals, Chiefs or Rams, then to crack the starting lineup on a good team like the Colts, Patriots or Eagles.

Backups
Eagles drafted 15 backups during the five years, which was slightly above the league average of 13. League high was the Colts (18) and the low was Broncos (8).

Other Teams
The Eagles actually lead the league in players drafted that are now on other teams (12). The average was 6.3, and the low was the Redskins (1).

This makes some sense. The Eagles were a good team and had the 4th most draft picks during these five years. Clearly not all of these guys were going to be able to make the Eagles team. On the bright side, at least they are drafting & cutting players who are good enough to make other teams and not just disappearing from the league.

Which brings us to…

Out of the NFL
The Eagles drafted 10 players over the five years that are now completely out of the NFL. They were right on the league average of 10.2. High was the Bucs (20!), and the low was the Vikings (5).

Conclusion: On a quantitative numbers-only based analysis, it would appear that the Eagles are squarely in the middle of the pack when it comes to the draft.

All-Pros/Pro Bowl
One more bonus bit of data from Pro-Football-Reference.com. They list all of the draft picks from each year along with stats like All-Pros, Pro Bowls, games, games starter, and regular football stats (yards, tds, etc). I thought the first four would make for good criteria, except that the games/starter data doesn’t appear to be fully updated for the 2008 season, and I’m not sure how accurate it is overall.

Looking at the All-Pros though, teams average 0.84 All-Pro appearances from their draft picks over the last five years. The Eagles had one (Andrews). High was San Diego (3). 14 teams had zero, nine others had one, and seven teams had two All-Pro appearances.

As for Pro Bowl appearances, the Eagles had three (Andrews 2, Cole 1), which was above the league average of 1.81. The high scores were San Diego (8) and Chicago (6), while nine teams have not drafted a player in the last five years who has made a pro bowl appearance.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #108
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Sweet! Jones has signed with the Birds. He'll meet with the media this afternoon. Great under the radar signing. 4th ranked defense in the league just upgraded at safety and have all of their young starters coming back.

27 year old Sean Jones>36 year old Brian Dawkins.

He's scheduled to meet with the media @ 3PM Eastern Time.
I believe this to be true with the news that Mike Adams just re-signed with the Browns. It is pretty clear that he is going to take Jones' spot in the starting lineup.

What I can tell you about Jones...

He is excellent in coming up and laying down some licks in run support. I've also seen some nice flashes from him in playing the pass, but the Browns' lack of a pass rush over the years has not allowed Jones or the others in the Browns' secondary much room for error.

I will be very interested to see how Jones performs on Jim Johnson's defense which is known to be free-wheeling and getting to quarterbacks in a hurry. I think he fits Johnson's style perfectly. He will discourage WRs from coming across the middle with his hitting ability and he has also shown to be a good blitzing safety.

It is a big loss for the Browns because Adams has not shown me that he has the upside of Jones. My only concern, if I were an Eagles fan, is Jones' health. He has had some problems staying on the field thus far in his young career. Other than that, there is nothing preventing him from being one of the better safeties in the league.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #109
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I believe this to be true with the news that Mike Adams just re-signed with the Browns. It is pretty clear that he is going to take Jones' spot in the starting lineup.

What I can tell you about Jones...

He is excellent in coming up and laying down some licks in run support. I've also seen some nice flashes from him in playing the pass, but the Browns' lack of a pass rush over the years has not allowed Jones or the others in the Browns' secondary much room for error.

I will be very interested to see how Jones performs on Jim Johnson's defense which is known to be free-wheeling and getting to quarterbacks in a hurry. I think he fits Johnson's style perfectly. He will discourage WRs from coming across the middle with his hitting ability and he has also shown to be a good blitzing safety.

It is a big loss for the Browns because Adams has not shown me that he has the upside of Jones. My only concern, if I were an Eagles fan, is Jones' health. He has had some problems staying on the field thus far in his young career. Other than that, there is nothing preventing him from being one of the better safeties in the league.
TY for the insight RBA. All very positive. I'm excited about this signing and hopefully he can stay healthy with us.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #110
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have a good feeling a trade is gonna happen for a bigtime WR... seems we are stockpiling picks.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #111
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
I have a good feeling a trade is gonna happen for a bigtime WR... seems we are stockpiling picks.
names plz
Old 03-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #112
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
names plz
-Anquan Boldin
-Chad Johnson

Now before you guys go bashing the Johnson pick, I think he'll be fine in Philly. Bengals made a mistake not trading him last offseason, so I think they might pounce on a deal along the lines of a 2nd and 5th possibly. I think Chad Johnson will just shut up and play long enough for Philly to have success.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #113
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
-Anquan Boldin
-Chad Johnson

Now before you guys go bashing the Johnson pick, I think he'll be fine in Philly. Bengals made a mistake not trading him last offseason, so I think they might pounce on a deal along the lines of a 2nd and 5th possibly. I think Chad Johnson will just shut up and play long enough for Philly to have success.
You do realize you'd be giving up at minimum a 1st and a 3rd round pick for either of those guys. Not to mention they are both in the tail end of their primes would requite new deals with at least 25 million guaranteed.

Highly unlikely and it's not a good move IMO.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #114
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

www.philadelphiaealges.com

it's official fellas, ole marlo wouldn't let yall down
Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #115
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
You do realize you'd be giving up at minimum a 1st and a 3rd round pick for either of those guys. Not to mention they are both in the tail end of their primes would requite new deals with at least 25 million guaranteed.

Highly unlikely and it's not a good move IMO.
Chad Johnson is like 30 and Boldin is like 27 I believe?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #116
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Chad Johnson is like 30 and Boldin is like 27 I believe?
Boldin will be 29 by the start of the season and has had trouble staying on the field.

Chad Johnson is 31 and coming off a terrible year.

Not worth it. You've investing a 1st and a 3rd round pick minimum for two players in the tail tend of their primes (one has injury history) and another is older and often disgruntled. You'll have to give them a new deal on top of the crazy compensation too. They'll in turn account for like 1/10th of your cap.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #117
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Im glad they inked this guy.... but i dont like the one year deal thing....

if he is great, his price will go up and the eagles will cop out on some cheapo sh*t.....

Im just gonna be glad for the moment, but it will be interesting to see how this situation pans out
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #118
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Im glad they inked this guy.... but i dont like the one year deal thing....

if he is great, his price will go up and the eagles will cop out on some cheapo sh*t.....

Im just gonna be glad for the moment, but it will be interesting to see how this situation pans out
I think the most likely scenario is where he plays well for 8 games and they feel confident his knee is healthy than they'll re-work a deal midway through the season.

They normally don't let good players in their prime leave.

We should be celebrating we got better today.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #119
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think the bengals will get rid of CJ now since Housh signed with Seattle. I
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #120
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would be pissed if we got Johnson. And Boldin's not happening IMO. Star WR + Drew Rosenhaus + Desire for a new contract does not equal Philly.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: