Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here
Default Jason Kapono

I haven't seen a thread about him for a while so I decided to make a thread about the waste of money he is. I dont mind him offensively, his IQ on the court and his defense for a bench player is horrific. Any possible trades we could think of with this guy? Anyone desperate for a three point shooter? Someone give me a sign, this waste of money just pissed me off today at the Suns game
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

TMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat coolTMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jason Kapono

He showed flashes of what he NEEDS to do. And that is shoot the damn ball and don't try to be Dwayne Wade or whoever.
TMAC-RAPTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC-RAPTORS
He showed flashes of what he NEEDS to do. And that is shoot the damn ball and don't try to be Dwayne Wade or whoever.

Flashes? Weak defense the entire season and this game just ticked me off the most. Lazy defender and a one dimentional player looking to make runners .. Fact is if he played better defense and know his role I would ALMOST consider his contract.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
Flashes? Weak defense the entire season and this game just ticked me off the most. Lazy defender and a one dimentional player looking to make runners .. Fact is if he played better defense and know his role I would ALMOST consider his contract.

He's not a lazy defender. He just can't defend at all. Lazy means he can defend but he doesn't want to. That's not the case. He is an extremely poor athlete to be in the NBA. He's there solely for his shooting abilities and does not offer much else than that. He can't dribble without turning the ball over and he's a terrible passer and rebounder. I doubt there will be many takers for Kapono, but if I could I would try to trade Banks beforehand because his contract runs beyond 2010. I doubt there will be many takers for him either though.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
He's not a lazy defender. He just can't defend at all. Lazy means he can defend but he doesn't want to. That's not the case. He is an extremely poor athlete to be in the NBA. He's there solely for his shooting abilities and does not offer much else than that. He can't dribble without turning the ball over and he's a terrible passer and rebounder. I doubt there will be many takers for Kapono, but if I could I would try to trade Banks beforehand because his contract runs beyond 2010. I doubt there will be many takers for him either though.

Agreeing with the first part.

He tries on defense.. he just isn't that good.

He earns twice as much as he should be, and that's the bottom line.

He is a valuable player but not on a team like the Raptors. And not for the amount of money he is being paid.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Like I've said, I feel bad for the guy. He's got a big contract that he'd desperately like to live up to and he just doesn't have the talent to do it. What he does have going for him is that he's undoubtedly the best pure shooter on the planet, aside from maybe Ray Allen - as such I do think he has some value, just not on this Raptors team. He'd be a great role player on a team that's ready to contend for championships, but really has no use on a youngish team that's nowhere close to sniffing a trophy.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jason Kapono is 28th in the league in 3pt% at .436. That percentage is pretty good (not great,but good) but he only takes 2.8 a game and makes 1.2 a game. So to summarize, he gets paid 6 million dollars a season to make 1 3pt basket per game and do literally nothing else. I don't feel sorry for him at all. If he doesn't like the criticism, he can go out and buy some expensive ear plugs so that he won't have to hear it anymore.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

I think the biggest problem with Jason is his lack of motivation. You go to the shootaround and he just seems to wanna have fun and fart around. In other words he's not hungry enough to be one of the better players in the NBA. You watch Bargnani and he's dead serious and constantly working on his game. Big difference!
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

This criticism isn't fully his fault. He is not a 6 million a year player, but since the Raptors signed him to that contract, the coaches he has played under here are forced to try to turn him into that 6 million a year player. If he was making 3 million a year, he wouldn't be forced to play as much as he does so that Toronto tries to find some justification on why they signed him for so much money. If he was making 3 million a year, fans wouldn't be complaining about his 1.2 3's a game and his lack of defence as much as they do.

Its not his fault, so as much as everyone wants to start bashing him for his lack of talent, blame on the 2 time executive of the year, hes the one whos truly at fault here.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Jason Kapono is 28th in the league in 3pt% at .436. That percentage is pretty good (not great,but good) but he only takes 2.8 a game and makes 1.2 a game. So to summarize, he gets paid 6 million dollars a season to make 1 3pt basket per game and do literally nothing else. I don't feel sorry for him at all. If he doesn't like the criticism, he can go out and buy some expensive ear plugs so that he won't have to hear it anymore.

Good point. I though he at least made 2 a game..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
This criticism isn't fully his fault. He is not a 6 million a year player, but since the Raptors signed him to that contract, the coaches he has played under here are forced to try to turn him into that 6 million a year player. If he was making 3 million a year, he wouldn't be forced to play as much as he does so that Toronto tries to find some justification on why they signed him for so much money. If he was making 3 million a year, fans wouldn't be complaining about his 1.2 3's a game and his lack of defence as much as they do.

Its not his fault, so as much as everyone wants to start bashing him for his lack of talent, blame on the 2 time executive of the year, hes the one whos truly at fault here.
He clearly can't get the job done with the expanded role he was given. So the better thing to do IMO is to accept the signing as a mistake and either aggressively try to ship his ass out or to lessen his minutes significantly. Jason Kapono should be in the 10-15 mpg range at best on any team.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

The thing is its not how many shots he make, his defense is really atrocious for 6 million player. I just made the thread because the Suns game had me when he commited 3-4 fouls that was really lazy and gave the Suns players 3-pt plays from those 3-4 fouls..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
The thing is its not how many shots he make, his defense is really atrocious for 6 million player. I just made the thread because the Suns game had me when he commited 3-4 fouls that was really lazy and gave the Suns players 3-pt plays from those 3-4 fouls..

There should be a stat for committing a foul leading to a 3 point play. I think Calderon leads the team in that category. He touches the player just enough for a foul to be called but that action does absolutely nothing but put us down another point. He rarely even causes the player to change his shot when he commits the foul either.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
There should be a stat for committing a foul leading to a 3 point play. I think Calderon leads the team in that category.

So what you're saying is that you don't actually know if this is true or not.

Sometimes perception isn't reality....
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
So what you're saying is that you don't actually know if this is true or not.

Sometimes perception isn't reality....

I've just seen it many times and probably more than any other Raptor. He gives really weak fouls when opponents drive to the tin. It is my perception and that's why I was hoping someone keeps track of that stat so it can be proved as a reality. But I really don't think anyone watches that closely.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: