Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Default Raptors' 'trying' year leaves Bosh frustrated

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/594811

Quote:
Star had high hopes to start season
Mar 01, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (20)
Doug Smith
SPORTS REPORTER

DALLAS Chris Bosh considers the question for what seems like an eternity, trying to find an answer.

There is neither a right response nor a wrong one. It's a question of feeling, one requiring some introspection and it is difficult.

"How would I describe my season?" he repeats, searching for the appropriate response.

"Trying," he finally says. "Trying. Very trying."

This may not be the worst season of Bosh's career but it's close. An Olympic gold medal is nice, a stumbling Raptors franchise is not. He's putting up good numbers but not getting enough wins. It's been fun at times, infuriating at others.

And confusing.

"If you would have told me in October that we were going to be fighting just to make the playoffs, I wouldn't have believed you," Bosh said. "I've had worse years as far as the team is concerned but this has been the toughest, yeah, only because the expectations were so high and things just didn't happen like we thought they would."

As the NBA regular season draws to a close, the Raptors are cementing their place as the most disappointing team in the league this year. They are 23-37 heading into a game tonight in Bosh's hometown and the hopes of a late surge to the playoffs are dwindling.

But it is interesting to see how Bosh deals with the failures of his team. He does not mope and pout over every defeat. He looks ahead rather than back. To some, not beating oneself up for every loss may look to be uncaring. To Bosh, it's a matter of mental survival.

"I don't get upset at things you can't change," he said. "Once the game is over ... it's over, there's nothing you can do about it, there's no reason to be upset.

"It can only get worse and we have so many games, we have to erase everything and keep moving. That's the thing about it: I want to win the next game, so if I'm dwelling on us losing three games in a row or four games in a row and thinking about nothing but that, what do you think is going to happen the next game?

"I don't know, that's just the way I am."

As the best player on a bad team and its "cornerstone," according to general manager Bryan Colangelo, Bosh can't avoid questions about failings. He's bristled at times with repeated queries about his level of frustration; fans seem to want more angst, more outward emotion, more something.

"I'm not worried about that because people aren't in my shoes," he said. "Most of the people ... they're probably unhappy. I'm happy, I'm a very happy person no matter what happens. I'm always seeing the positive out of everything."

As difficult as that may seem, there have been some positives. Bosh is going to average more than 22 points and nine rebounds a game, almost exactly his career numbers. His field-goal percentage is about the same as it always is and he's currently sixth in the league in free throws attempted per game (a direct contradiction of the theory that he doesn't drive often enough or get to the line as frequently as other good big men do).

In raw numbers, he's having a fine season.

There have been blips, of course, periods where he hasn't played as well as he, or fans, would like. He struggled in the middle portion of the season and then hurt his knee, creating as much frustration for him as for anyone.

"I started off at a high level and I kind of maintained it, then I guess I hit a wall," he said, "didn't know what was going on. Then I got it back a little bit, then I got injured and now I'm here."

The dip, which Bosh now chalks up to the cumulative fatigue of three years with the American Olympic team, and which can also be attributed to the load he had to carry on the underachieving Raptors, was mystifying to him.

"It was unexpected because I didn't know what was going on," he said. "I was just playing and for some reason my shot wasn't going. It just felt like some days my feet were stuck in the mud."

And so, a season that began with such lofty expectations will likely end in bitter disappointment.

No one will feel it more than Bosh, no matter what some think.

"Some people think, 'Maybe the bar was set too high for these guys,' " he said. "I set the bar as high as anybody in the world."
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
SESSEL15
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Raptors' 'trying' year leaves Bosh frustrated

One thing that discourages me about him most is that he has had very similar numbers the last 3 years. Is that it for him? Is this the best he can be?
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
One thing that discourages me about him most is that he has had very similar numbers the last 3 years. Is that it for him? Is this the best he can be?
Realistically? Yes this is the best he will get and honestly there is nothing wrong with that. He is a 22-23 ppg, 9-10 rpg on 48-50 FG% not bad numbers at all.

This doesn't really change much anyways. Basically everybody here knows that he is not the same type of franchise player that Kobe, Wade or James are.

He is a great player, but he is not a superstar, everybody knew this already. He has most likely reached his peak, but he is still a great player.

How many people here actually still believe that Bosh is a legitimate type franchise player? He is a guy that can be 1A option for a team, as long as there is a 1B. That is why the Raptors need to acquire a very good wing player to pair with him.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:

20-10 is pretty good?

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
20-10 is pretty good?

One thing we actually agree on. I'm starting to wonder what people expected him to max out on. 28/14? Because that's just incredibly unrealistic.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
One thing we actually agree on. I'm starting to wonder what people expected him to max out on. 28/14? Because that's just incredibly unrealistic.

Greatest Player of All Time.

Anything less will be an utter disappointment to Toronto Sports Fans (TSF).

(on a side note, I don't understand the TSF... for a town that's been mired in professional sports mediocrity for, what, 40 years they're pretty hard on their teams.. I think the only athlete universally accepted in Toronto is Roy Halladay, and that's because he IS the best in the league...)
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Greatest Player of All Time.

Anything less will be an utter disappointment to Toronto Sports Fans (TSF).

(on a side note, I don't understand the TSF... for a town that's been mired in professional sports mediocrity for, what, 40 years they're pretty hard on their teams.. I think the only athlete universally accepted in Toronto is Roy Halladay, and that's because he IS the best in the league...)

And he still doesn't get any props for his consistent dominance over the past 5 years or so. I guess that comes with winning though..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
ejeezy
I airball my layups

Im so sick and tired of hearing him complain, its obvious he already has one foot out the door. Hurry up and trade him.
ejeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

I love Chris, but I really think he and the team need to part ways before he loses his trade value.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
SESSEL15
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
20-10 is pretty good?

I didn't say it wasn't, but players usually improve with more years under their belt. He hasn't improved much, all I'm saying. To hit your peak at 22 is kinda weird.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't, but players usually improve with more years under their belt. He hasn't improved much, all I'm saying. To hit your peak at 22 is kinda weird.
Well he has gotten better, back in November/December he looked like he had moved up to the same level as Wade/LeBron, but for whatever reason has since shrunken back to the player he was 2 seasons ago.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Not a lot of players, especially bigs, who have been getting consistent starter minutes have a significant improvement in their 6th season.

If you don't believe me? Take a look at Tim Duncan's numbers: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_du...eer_stats.html

He wasn't making significant improvements year by year, but he was great because of his incredible consistency. It's what people call "boring" but it's something they can count on every season year after year.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Not a lot of players, especially bigs, who have been getting consistent starter minutes have a significant improvement in their 6th season.

If you don't believe me? Take a look at Tim Duncan's numbers: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_du...eer_stats.html

He wasn't making significant improvements year by year, but he was great because of his incredible consistency. It's what people call "boring" but it's something they can count on every season year after year.
Duncan is not a great comparison when it comes to a player's statistical improvement given that he can into the league averaging 20-10 and then won a ring in his second season while averaging 27/14/3 in the Finals. I mean how much better can a player do than that after only 2 seasons? Bosh by comparison was a young player entering the league with a lot of raw skills that needed development, so his development pattern would be different.

Your overall point is fine though, I just didn't like the Duncan comparison

Last edited by kwajo : 03-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

If you look at the #4 picks since 2000:

2000: Marcus Fizer
2001: Eddie Curry
2002: Drew Gooden
2003: Chris Bosh
2004: Shawn Livingston
2005: Chris Paul
2006: Tyrus Thomas
2007: Mike Conley
2008: Russell Westbrook

So if you look at all of those other #4 picks, you'd see that Bosh significantly exceeded expectations. People thought he would be solid, but nobody can say they expected him to ever be a 20-10 guy in the league as can be said of Tim Duncan.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Bosh by comparison was a young player entering the league with a lot of raw skills that needed development, so his development pattern would be different.
And this point is skewed. couldn't the argument be made that had Bosh had done 4 years of college he could've been putting up a lot bigger numbers in his first couple of seasons, and then his improvement window wouldn't look as big as people are making it out to be or thinking it should be today.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: