Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
lol I'm not a hater I was just pointing out where you went wrong. Just don't go on TV saying that stuff..

You make it seem like your so important for knowing Jack Armstrong

I never said I was important! You just don't have anything to offer except negativity no solutions and nothing about what you would do.

Once again what would you do this off season?
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
I never said I was important! You just don't have anything to offer except negativity no solutions and nothing about what you would do.

Once again what would you do this off season?

I'm not being negative I was just correcting you. Geez. I already made a thread about this;

Quote:
Expiring Contracts;

Shawn Marion (Bird Rights) $17,810,000
Anthony Parker (Bird Rights) $4,550,000
Jorge Garbajosa $4,250,000
Carlos Delfino (QO) $2,744,299
Joey Graham (Bird Rights) $2,449,184
Jake Voskuhl $835,491
Patrick O'Bryant $797,581

That leaves 30.7 million coming off the books this off season (Delfino doesn‘t count).

2009 Salaries

Chris Bosh $15,779,912
Jose Calderon $8,219,010
Jason Kapono $6,212,960
Andrea Bargnani $6,527,491
Marcus Banks $4,553,793
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
Nathan Jawai $736,420

That leaves us with a payroll in 2009 of 46.3 million distributed through 8 players. That means we need to sign another 4 players for 13 million dollars to round out the roster. We could re-sign Marion, Parker and Graham using the Bird exception and offer Delfino our qualifying offer we will probably have gone over the 13 million we were able to spend this summer. Don't forget that we will also have a 1st round draft pick this year as well. Our roster for 2009 will be as follows;

C - Bargnani/Jawai
PF - Bosh/Humphries
SF - Marion/Delfino/Kapono
SG - Parker/Graham
PG - Calderon/Ukic/Banks

+ Draft Pick

2009 Notes;

- Our frontcourt depth is seriously compromised and will need an upgrade for backup C (Nesterovic or Draft Pick, Thabeet, Hill, Monroe, Mullins), because Jawai is not ready for the NBA just yet.

- Our starting SG position could use an upgrade as well since Parker is turning 34 years old this summer and would be better suited as a bench player.

My question for all of you is; Should we use the final 13 million on re-signing our own players to help maintain our depth, or make a splash in the FA market and add another star player to our rotation? Keep in mind that we are one of the few teams that have cap space this summer and can afford to sign a player to a contract of more than 10 million (Since everyone is jockeying for the 2010 sweepstakes), and also that we are in need of a starting SG as well as a backup C.

Here is a link for the free agent class of 2009;

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-09-10

What do you think we should do this summer? Thanks for reading!
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I'm not being negative I was just correcting you. Geez. I already made a thread about this;

You win your the best, thank you for correcting me.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Trade Calderon, Put Parker at the point!
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
You win your the best, thank you for correcting me.

I make 'em quit. It's what I do.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Trade Calderon, Put Parker at the point!

I would too lol
He does nothing under Trianos system he can't run he slows everything down.
Maybe he we get something like this

Portland gets
Calderon
Graham
Hump

T.O. gets
Fernandez
Lafrenez expiring contract
and a first rounder or Batum

I'd draft either Teague or Jennings to replace him
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I would too lol
He does nothing under Trianos system he can't run he slows everything down.
Maybe he we get something like this

Portland gets
Calderon
Graham
Hump

T.O. gets
Fernandez
Lafrenez expiring contract
and a first rounder or Batum

I'd draft either Teague or Jennings to replace him

I would love for that to happen. It gives us a very capable SG and also gives us more cap space this summer to restructure.

Bargnani
Bosh
Marion
Fernandez
Teague/Jennings

That's a great lineup and would be very exciting to watch.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #23
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Well....the trade deadline has come and gone...so that makes the LaFrentz deal no longer an asset. He's off the books now for Portland once the season is done.

I find it hard to beleive that our problem is Jose Calderon. I am sure there are many coaches that don't currently have an NBA job that are capable enough to work with Jose's strengths and weaknesses.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #24
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Well....the trade deadline has come and gone...so that makes the LaFrentz deal no longer an asset. He's off the books now for Portland once the season is done.

I find it hard to beleive that our problem is Jose Calderon. I am sure there are many coaches that don't currently have an NBA job that are capable enough to work with Jose's strengths and weaknesses.

I just don't think Jose is the solution though. The system that Triano is trying to bring in and Jose Calderon will never work well together in my mind. Everytime we have a chance to push the ball up the floor Jose chooses to jog up the court instead of really trying to run the break. After watching many Raptor games Ukic can push the ball way better than Jose.

However if we could get Jose for some quality pieces and draft either Teague or Jennings we have a chance to make a push into the right direction for the team and maybe a identity. I don't think we'll make it far with Jose as the point though.

Look at our best year TJ pushing the ball everytime he could and everyone was running.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #25
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I just don't think Jose is the solution though. The system that Triano is trying to bring in and Jose Calderon will never work well together in my mind. Everytime we have a chance to push the ball up the floor Jose chooses to jog up the court instead of really trying to run the break. After watching many Raptor games Ukic can push the ball way better than Jose.

However if we could get Jose for some quality pieces and draft either Teague or Jennings we have a chance to make a push into the right direction for the team and maybe a identity. I don't think we'll make it far with Jose as the point though.

Look at our best year TJ pushing the ball everytime he could and everyone was running.

Calderon is not our problem. We is a good point guard with the best assits turnover ratio, great free throw shooter. We need to find a new coach for next year. We need to play better defense and play more agressive and with everygame.
I'm sure this team with Mike D'Antoni will be in play off position. Calderon can play for D'antoni.... why he can't play for Triano?
He just need to rest and recover. He is playing injured most of the season.
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #26
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroWise
Calderon is not our problem. We is a good point guard with the best assits turnover ratio, great free throw shooter. We need to find a new coach for next year. We need to play better defense and play more agressive and with everygame.
I'm sure this team with Mike D'Antoni will be in play off position. Calderon can play for D'antoni.... why he can't play for Triano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith

Action: Jose sits
Reaction: Deservedly so.
This wasn’t injury related – Jose told me 90 minutes to tip off Friday that he was feeling as good as he has in weeks – so the 1-6 shooting, 3-point, 6-assist furball he spit up has to be chalked up to one of those nights. Watching the last seven or so minutes from the bench was not something he’s accustomed to, and not something I can remember Jay doing at all this season.
And, no, it wasn’t his defence, which isn’t good by any stretch; this was his offence, his attitude and his effort.
No idea where it came from because I don’t think anyone can or should dispute the fact he’s always had great attitude and effort. Trouble was, and this goes to my next point, when Calderon isn’t going well, there’s no one else who can pick up the slack right now.

It wasnt the injuries he just had an off game apparently. All I know is if I could somehow get a Caron Butler type player in a deal for Calderon I would do it in a second. I would be fully comfortable in letting Ukic or Teague/Jennings run the team if they are surrounded by 4 potential all-stars (Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and hypothetically Butler). Kinda like what they did in Boston with Rajon Rondo. There was no way he should have run that team with the skills he had out of college. But he has improved so much the past two seasons it's ridiculous. That same thing could potentially happen to the Raptors this offseason if Calderon is traded for a good SG and we draft an adequate PG with potential.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #27
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
It wasnt the injuries he just had an off game apparently. All I know is if I could somehow get a Caron Butler type player in a deal for Calderon I would do it in a second. I would be fully comfortable in letting Ukic or Teague/Jennings run the team if they are surrounded by 4 potential all-stars (Bosh, Bargnani, Marion and hypothetically Butler). Kinda like what they did in Boston with Rajon Rondo. There was no way he should have run that team with the skills he had out of college. But he has improved so much the past two seasons it's ridiculous. That same thing could potentially happen to the Raptors this offseason if Calderon is traded for a good SG and we draft an adequate PG with potential.

In Boston they had Garnett (playing a second role, but being the leader in defense), Paul Pierce being the leader (scoring, leading, creating game, doing everything and playing 41 minutes per game.) and Allen (great second option and may be the best shooter and able to create his own shoot). Plus Perkins playing defense and rebound, but they don't have PJ Brown (that's why they won't won again).

I'm sorry but be don't have players of that caliber. We don't have a leader and they have 3.

On the other hand, Caron Butler... but if don't . Which other SG do you thing we can trade Calderon for? And Caron Butler is not able to create his own shoot ... he is good player, but not a leader on ofense.

Who creates the game??? Ukic never was able to creat game and lead a team in Europe (so it is less possible to do it here consistently). Without a PG... who creat the game and take care of the ball? Ukic and Banks??? hahaha

And Rondo always has a great body... Ukic is not the same atlhete.
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #28
kmart
No props needed

Quote:

No Way! Jose can play for D'antoni. Jose can barely push the ball. In D'antonis system he probably would need a new set of lungs. Hes not the guy for a run and gun system and that is the truth, hes not fast enough and he refuses to push the ball. Using injuries as an excuse for bad playing thats just plain stupid! If your injured that bad you shouldn't be playing so Jose is probably fine besides hes started the last strech here.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

I think Shawn Marion is definitely a keeper, but at a reduced price. I think Anthony Parker should be brought back as well, but not as a starter. I'd like to see him playing the role Dell Curry used to have with us, being the veteran sharpshooter off the bench who hits big shots. I love what I've seen from Roko Ukic this year, he and Jose will provide a great duo at PG.

Now, the team is in desperate need of a true center. Jermaine O'Neal was supposed to be that guy but unfortunately, his health didn't allow him to do so. I like Bargnani as a sixth man type player but realistically, he is probably our best trade asset in acquiring a decent big. The rest of the bigs on the roster(Voshkul, Pops, Hump, Jawai, POB) are barely rotation worthy on a good team. I think heading into the offseason, either through trade or free agency(who realistically is out there?), a legit big is our biggest concern, and hopefully pick up a solid wing in the draft(Earl Clark, James Harden), we'll definitely have a lottery pick.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

You said we need to play better defense and then say we would be better with Mike Dantoni!!! For the record, they are contradicting styles of play.

If your saying that Calderon's lack of defense could be excused under a Dantoni system then I understand your point.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: