Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #31
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
Now, the team is in desperate need of a true center. Jermaine O'Neal was supposed to be that guy but unfortunately, his health didn't allow him to do so. I like Bargnani as a sixth man type player but realistically, he is probably our best trade asset in acquiring a decent big. The rest of the bigs on the roster(Voshkul, Pops, Hump, Jawai, POB) are barely rotation worthy on a good team. I think heading into the offseason, either through trade or free agency(who realistically is out there?), a legit big is our biggest concern, and hopefully pick up a solid wing in the draft(Earl Clark, James Harden), we'll definitely have a lottery pick.

lol, that's funny sh!t there.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #32
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
No Way! Jose can play for D'antoni. Jose can barely push the ball. In D'antonis system he probably would need a new set of lungs. Hes not the guy for a run and gun system and that is the truth, hes not fast enough and he refuses to push the ball. Using injuries as an excuse for bad playing thats just plain stupid! If your injured that bad you shouldn't be playing so Jose is probably fine besides hes started the last strech here.

Jose is no less athletic then Chris Duhon, who was putting up great numbers before the massive minutes have taken it's toll.

Why are we wanting to trade a guy like Calderon to suit Jay Triano's system! It's not like this guy will be our long term coach....at least he better not be.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #33
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Jose is no less athletic then Chris Duhon, who was putting up great numbers before the massive minutes have taken it's toll.

Why are we wanting to trade a guy like Calderon to suit Jay Triano's system! It's not like this guy will be our long term coach....at least he better not be.

I'm just open to trading him for a good SG if we can get Teague or Jennings in the draft. The team will be more balanced and give us a huge talent upgrade in the back court. Doesn't really have much to do with Triano, just our draft position and improving the club.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #34
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season move

Calderon's been slowly falling out of favor with me as the season goes on.

He can run a half-court offense very well, and is a great shooter.

Other than that, he can't really do too much else.

Terrible defense, words truly can't describe how disgusting it is. I also hate how he whines about every call. EVERY call.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #35
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Calderon's been slowly falling out of favor with me as the season goes on.

He can run a half-court offense very well, and is a great shooter.

Other than that, he can't really do too much else.

Terrible defense, words truly can't describe how disgusting it is. I also hate how he whines about every call. EVERY call.

WORD Chamberlain. Let's trade him for a SG and draft Teague!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #36
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Not sold on Teague either
Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #37
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Not sold on Teague either

Jennings?

Both are good prospects.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I haven't seen Jennings play since high school so I don't really have an opinion on him yet.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #39
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
I haven't seen Jennings play since high school so I don't really have an opinion on him yet.

Same. I just watched mix tapes since then so I can see the amazing athletic ability he has. Plus all the scouting reports say he has the potential to be a good distributor and that he uses his quickness well to produce on both ends of the floor. I'm not really sure. I guess I just really wanted Jose to be dealt. Because at the 8th pick in the draft there might be Jennings and Teague. The only decent SG in the top 10 is Harden (Not a huge Henderson fan) and he will be gone by the time we pick. We don't need bigs either. Seems like drafting a PG and trading Jose for a SG would be a logical move?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #40
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Same. I just watched mix tapes since then so I can see the amazing athletic ability he has. Plus all the scouting reports say he has the potential to be a good distributor and that he uses his quickness well to produce on both ends of the floor. I'm not really sure. I guess I just really wanted Jose to be dealt. Because at the 8th pick in the draft there might be Jennings and Teague. The only decent SG in the top 10 is Harden (Not a huge Henderson fan) and he will be gone by the time we pick. We don't need bigs either. Seems like drafting a PG and trading Jose for a SG would be a logical move?

Agreed. Also, even though I'm totally down for trading Bosh or Bargs with Bosh being preferred its unlikely that we'll get a SG of equivalent worth to Bosh and we're much more likely to get a young, tough big, a pick and some filler, not to mention the fact that trading him and not getting a starting big in return would destroy our front court depth. Jose for a SG is much more likely to happen, and probably more beneficial assuming that Teague or Jennings pan out. Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, LA, Houston and others have shown that point guards aren't nearly as important as they're cracked up to be if you can surround them with good enough tallent.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #41
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

We'll his system that he is incorporating better stay, because if we get another half court system we just told all of our players and the whole NBA that we wasted one season doing nothing and going nowhere. And if we're keeping this system we are better off trading Jose Calderon.

Last edited by kmart : 03-10-2009 at 07:08 PM.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #42
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Agreed. Also, even though I'm totally down for trading Bosh or Bargs with Bosh being preferred its unlikely that we'll get a SG of equivalent worth to Bosh and we're much more likely to get a young, tough big, a pick and some filler, not to mention the fact that trading him and not getting a starting big in return would destroy our front court depth. Jose for a SG is much more likely to happen, and probably more beneficial assuming that Teague or Jennings pan out. Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, LA, Houston and others have shown that point guards aren't nearly as important as they're cracked up to be if you can surround them with good enough tallent.

A point guard is really important in any league you need your point guard to run your system to perfection. You can say a 1 isn't really important but these top teams would probably have a worse record if they didn't have a point guard to handle the team. Oh ya Bostons, Clevelands, and Orlando's point guards are a crucial part to their team.

I really liked the idea of getting a point guard in the draft like I said in my other posts. Jennings and Teague would be brilliant both are very talented players. Question is does Brian Colangelo have the guts to trade Jose Calderon?
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #43
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Hard to say what offers will be presented to Marion, you would think Phoenix in going back to the running game would love to have him back but word is the team owner is under financial duress. It may be his best and only good option is to stay in Toronto whether it's his preference or not.

As far as Calderon, it's really unfair to judge his play this season since he has been playing on one leg and has no drive in his other. When healthy he's really not that bad a defender and often comes up with key steals. One thing is for sure, Raps need another top point man to share minutes with him If he has to play extended starter minutes next year, this injury may become a recurring theme. Give him no more than 30 minutes a game next year and he will play like an allstar.

Last year he was heralded for his ability to quickly pass the ball upcourt and lead fast breaks. Sam Mitchell were trying to convince T.J. to do as Calderon does, rather than dribble the ball up court everytime. Also don't forget he led the worlds second best basketball country to the finals on more than one occasion. So he can't be that bad! This whole injury escapade probably began as a result of his injury last summer and has never completely healed. He's only a shadow of his former self from last year. He will recover.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
One thing is for sure, Raps need another top point man to share minutes with him If he has to play extended starter minutes next year, this injury may become a recurring theme.

Then the Raps are stuck in the same problem as last offseason. Majority of the forum was good to go with Calderon over Ford but now want a change already...

Quote:
Sam Mitchell were trying to convince T.J. to do as Calderon does, rather than dribble the ball up court everytime

Well nobody on the Raptors (while Ford was here) would leak out so a quick outlet pass downcourt was rare. Also, Jose is far more guilty of dribbling the ball upcourt and slowing tempo.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #45
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Then the Raps are stuck in the same problem as last offseason. Majority of the forum was good to go with Calderon over Ford but now want a change already...

Well nobody on the Raptors (while Ford was here) would leak out so a quick outlet pass downcourt was rare. Also, Jose is far more guilty of dribbling the ball upcourt and slowing tempo.

I think a solid off season of rest and rehab is in order before we truly start judging Calderon IMO. He was injured in the Olympics and played through it, and I'd be willing to bet this is an extension of it. He's clearly not the same player he was last year in terms of being aggressive at the bucket, and I believe he can QB this team in any style.

He's D CLEARLY needs some serious work, but let's give the guy another year when he's healthy before we throw him under the bus.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: