Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #46
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I think a solid off season of rest and rehab is in order before we truly start judging Calderon IMO. He was injured in the Olympics and played through it, and I'd be willing to bet this is an extension of it. He's clearly not the same player he was last year in terms of being aggressive at the bucket, and I believe he can QB this team in any style.

He's D CLEARLY needs some serious work, but let's give the guy another year when he's healthy before we throw him under the bus.

Yeah, was just confused at the impatience of the Toronto fan base in general when their general consensus at the time was:

Ford=Satan
Calderon=Jesus

I was in (slight) favour of keeping Ford but that doesn't mean I forgot how well Jose can play. But then again, it's been a revolving door of scapegoats this season, I'll be glad when our record's 0-0 again and optimism is in the air.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #47
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season move

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
A point guard is really important in any league you need your point guard to run your system to perfection. You can say a 1 isn't really important but these top teams would probably have a worse record if they didn't have a point guard to handle the team. Oh ya Bostons, Clevelands, and Orlando's point guards are a crucial part to their team.
I really liked the idea of getting a point guard in the draft like I said in my other posts. Jennings and Teague would be brilliant both are very talented players. Question is does Brian Colangelo have the guts to trade Jose Calderon?

I suppose I need to clarify. I don't mean that the point isn't important, just that you can build a winner by having enough tallent such that you don't need a top dollar point and can get by with a Rondo or whoever Houston has at the point now that Raefer is gone. You need a facilitating point, but he doesn't need to be part of the "core" as Calderon is. If we draft Teague or Jennings they'd probably end up good enough if we traded Calderon for a tallented enough SG was my point.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #48
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season move

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorBlog
On a related note, why did Jay Triano play Jose Calderon for 37 minutes yesterday? For the fans' enjoyment of watching Jose clap in Deron Williams face while he drove past him for an uncontested dunk, I presume?

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #49
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
I suppose I need to clarify. I don't mean that the point isn't important, just that you can build a winner by having enough tallent such that you don't need a top dollar point and can get by with a Rondo or whoever Houston has at the point now that Raefer is gone. You need a facilitating point, but he doesn't need to be part of the "core" as Calderon is. If we draft Teague or Jennings they'd probably end up good enough if we traded Calderon for a tallented enough SG was my point.

I get what you mean. All we need is a point guard that can run our system really good. We have a solid lineup and if we could trade Jose for a SG and draft a one on the draft we could very well be a solid team.
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #50
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion a keeper? Will we resign him? & what I would do: (Off Season moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
Hard to say what offers will be presented to Marion, you would think Phoenix in going back to the running game would love to have him back but word is the team owner is under financial duress. It may be his best and only good option is to stay in Toronto whether it's his preference or not.

As far as Calderon, it's really unfair to judge his play this season since he has been playing on one leg and has no drive in his other. When healthy he's really not that bad a defender and often comes up with key steals. One thing is for sure, Raps need another top point man to share minutes with him If he has to play extended starter minutes next year, this injury may become a recurring theme. Give him no more than 30 minutes a game next year and he will play like an allstar.

Last year he was heralded for his ability to quickly pass the ball upcourt and lead fast breaks. Sam Mitchell were trying to convince T.J. to do as Calderon does, rather than dribble the ball up court everytime. Also don't forget he led the worlds second best basketball country to the finals on more than one occasion. So he can't be that bad! This whole injury escapade probably began as a result of his injury last summer and has never completely healed. He's only a shadow of his former self from last year. He will recover.

Jose is a perfect half court PG. Hes very solid at the PG i don't think he'll ever be an allstar though. Unfortunaltly he is not capable of running a fast break set. Everyone on the team is trying to push the pull even Barganni, to see Jose slowing it down really seems to take something out of the team.

Calderon will not play like an allstar with 30 minutes... Remember he shared time with TJ and got 30 minutes and didn't average allstar numbers. He gets steals.. thats funny how come we never talk about them and PLEASE he is not a good defender hes not even close to being solid how many times have Deron Williams, Chirs Paul, Devin Harris popped 20 and 10 on us it seems like everygame and how many times have we seen these PG throw down dunks on us and Jose hiding from being posterized.
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #51
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

This Forum is so funny. People wanted TJ gone, now they want Jose gone and to draft a rookie PG (because rookie PGs always do well ).

This team is a disaster. It starts at the top with the GM/coach. If Colangelo is here, we need a REAL coach. Not a parade of rookie coaches or one with one foot in the grave (Wilkins). Get an established coach instead of the revolving door. All the good teams have stability at the top.

The logical move is to see what we get in the draft...take the best player available, except for a PF (unless Griffin).

Do not bring back the scrubs from a 25 win team. That makes no sense. Let guys like Parker and Graham walk. Move on, new blood, new direction.

As for Jose's D, if we had ANY defensive presence in the paint, a lot of things would change. It's not like Nash is good at D at all. Almost all players have trouble dealing with the CP3s, Dwills and Devin's of the NBA....they are great players. Very few people contain great scorers man to man.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #52
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
This Forum is so funny. People wanted TJ gone, now they want Jose gone and to draft a rookie PG (because rookie PGs always do well ).

This team is a disaster. It starts at the top with the GM/coach. If Colangelo is here, we need a REAL coach. Not a parade of rookie coaches or one with one foot in the grave (Wilkins). Get an established coach instead of the revolving door. All the good teams have stability at the top.

The logical move is to see what we get in the draft...take the best player available, except for a PF (unless Griffin).

Do not bring back the scrubs from a 25 win team. That makes no sense. Let guys like Parker and Graham walk. Move on, new blood, new direction.

As for Jose's D, if we had ANY defensive presence in the paint, a lot of things would change. It's not like Nash is good at D at all. Almost all players have trouble dealing with the CP3s, Dwills and Devin's of the NBA....they are great players. Very few people contain great scorers man to man.

I guess alot of people are coming around to the fact that if you have a point guard at the supposed core of your team not named Chris Paul or Steve Nash or Derron Williams then you're probably not going to get very far. Both TJ and Jose are pretenders in that regard, so obviously with one gone the other is getting the same heat. And the problem with Jose is not that he gets lit up by allstar points, but that he gets lit up from average and sometimes bellow average points too.

I totally agree that we need about as much new blood as possible. I guess I just believe that more so as I'm willing to see either Jose, Bargnani or Bosh traded to really switch it up.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #53
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

I wouldn't let Parker walk.
He's getting old but he's still capable of 20+ games.
He's inconsistant because of his age and because he's asked to guard the opponent's best player on a nightly basis, but he'd still be a great element for our bench.
I say trade Jose to get a very good SG, and either let Parker/Roko/Banks run the point or draft a PG and keep Parker as a SG off the bench.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #54
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
I wouldn't let Parker walk.
He's getting old but he's still capable of 20+ games.
He's inconsistant because of his age and because he's asked to guard the opponent's best player on a nightly basis, but he'd still be a great element for our bench.
I say trade Jose to get a very good SG, and either let Parker/Roko/Banks run the point or draft a PG and keep Parker as a SG off the bench.

Thing is, Parker won't be getting any 20 + games if we get a starting SG.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Thing is, Parker won't be getting any 20 + games if we get a starting SG.

that's for sure, i was just saying that if he can put up this 20+ games playing 30+ minutes per night, he could play very well off the bench if he can rest enough (playing something like 20 mins per night).
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: