Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Raptors to sign Pape Sow.... correction, Pops Mensah-Bonsu

wow this guy is our best bench big by miles, wow

we needed a guy like this and we got it hopefully he sticks
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
hump? 10 Rebs in 15 minutes - Wilt like numbers...

Pretty impressive. But just goes to show you how bad our bench is when a D-League player is the best option.

I would sign him to a cheap 3 year deal. Probably be a good financial move. The guy just tears down rebounds which is an area we lack.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Pretty impressive. But just goes to show you how bad our bench is when a D-League player is the best option.

I would sign him to a cheap 3 year deal. Probably be a good financial move. The guy just tears down rebounds which is an area we lack.

yep we could probably get him a minimum hes solid gets us rebounds and all that dirty work.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
yep we could probably get him a minimum hes solid gets us rebounds and all that dirty work.

He kind of reminded me of that JYD-like player we've been missing for too long. I know it's only one game but I can tell that this guy will always bring energy and be active. Like you said kmart, he does all the dirty work. There is not one person on that squad that likes to play physical and do all the intangible things we need.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

I like it in the sense that we're basically getting a free look at two young bigs(the other being Patrick O'Bryant) for the rest of the season. If they impress in the last few games and practice, then maybe we bring them to camp next year and go from there. If they don't pan out, well it'll free up two roster spots for next year and we're no worse off than we were before.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
I like it in the sense that we're basically getting a free look at two young bigs(the other being Patrick O'Bryant) for the rest of the season. If they impress in the last few games and practice, then maybe we bring them to camp next year and go from there. If they don't pan out, well it'll free up two roster spots for next year and we're no worse off than we were before.

I seriously doubt we're going to see much of Mr. O'Bryant from here on out.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
T-Low
College superstar

This is a PERFECT situation. If we find that Pops is a steal. We can sign him for cheap, move Humps to center, bring back delfino, etc. and save us some money on the bench. This is something we absolutely need by far....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
b4ball
Local High School Star

Pops not only had 10 rebounds but I counted four deflections. That's good positioning and understanding passing lanes. That's the IQ Moon never had.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #24
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Pops has moved into my 3rd favorite Raptor spot 1 game in. I love hustle and toughness. Hopeful this is the first of many pieces to bring both traits into the Raptor fold.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #25
Maniak
TJ Warren

Like many before me have said, tough and a hustle player.

I cant wait to see what he can show for the Raps, and see how he can build up as an NBA player.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #26
gecko044
I airball my layups

did any1 else notice the +/- stat when Pops is playing? he usually has the best margin. what did he have? +17 against Philly?
gecko044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #27
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko044
did any1 else notice the +/- stat when Pops is playing? he usually has the best margin. what did he have? +17 against Philly?

I really think +/- is a terrible indicator in basketball.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I really think +/- is a terrible indicator in basketball.

Why? If the Raptors were +17 while Pops was on the floor, than it's an indicator of how valuable his hustle plays and rebounding are to the team. The stat is not definitive of skill or anything, but if someone can consistently put up many positive numbers it is a clear indication of their effectiveness. At least I think so. If your -20 every game, the team obviously isn't playing well with you on the floor and you should take a seat next to Big Jake.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #29
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Why? If the Raptors were +17 while Pops was on the floor, than it's an indicator of how valuable his hustle plays and rebounding are to the team. The stat is not definitive of skill or anything, but if someone can consistently put up many positive numbers it is a clear indication of their effectiveness. At least I think so. If your -20 every game, the team obviously isn't playing well with you on the floor and you should take a seat next to Big Jake.

Toni I sort of agree with RainingThrees on this one. Although the +/- might be an ok indicator at times, it never can tell the true story. You can stick in a player who does nothing for 20 minutes, yet he was on the court while his team was playing great, but he had no affect on it, he was just on the court by chance. He'll get a good +/- but it doesn't mean crap. Yet, a player that plays 40 minutes would get a much lower +/- because they were in the game for the ups and downs.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Toni I sort of agree with RainingThrees on this one. Although the +/- might be an ok indicator at times, it never can tell the true story. You can stick in a player who does nothing for 20 minutes, yet he was on the court while his team was playing great, but he had no affect on it, he was just on the court by chance. He'll get a good +/- but it doesn't mean crap. Yet, a player that plays 40 minutes would get a much lower +/- because they were in the game for the ups and downs.

That's in one game though. I mean looking at the +/- stat throughout a season or a stretch of games, you can probably extrapolate some pretty interesting trends with that data.

Sometimes it's an obvious indicator when someone isn't playing bad, or even playing great.. but obviously it's not a clear indicator of whats going on individually. I'm not really too attached to the stat so I couldn't care less. Just trying to justify it's usefulness.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: