Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
NBACha
Decent playground baller
 
NBACha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 378
Default NBA Troubles

Interesting article. Long read but Charlotte is mentioned several times...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/090227
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.
 
Timmeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: East of civilization.
Posts: 3,481
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Again another ESPN writer blabbing about how bad things are with no real insight as to what's truly going on at the NBA level.

I'll give you just one example that totally discredited him: He mentioned Okafor, Mohammed, Wallace and Radmanovic as having "bad contracts" and that "no one is buying a ticket to see them play." No dumbass, no one is buying a ticket to see the whole team play because they haven't done anything to warrant fan support. I'd almost be willing to guarantee you that if the last couple of home games of the season were win-and-we're-in or lose-and-go-home scenarios, then the arena will be at least 90% full, if not totally sold out. I can feel it, Charlotteans want an NBA team to cheer for, but they want a winning team, not perennial losers.

Of course no one is going to pay $50 to see Vladimir Radmanovic or Nazr Mohammed play basketball, that's why Charlotte isn't called the Charlotts Nazr's or the Carolina Radmanovic's. There's a reason 5 guys are on the court per team and up to 15 guys on a team each year. BECAUSE IT IS A TEAM GAME.

Now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. When you work for ESPN, you're only allowed to talk about Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix and Los Angeles (the Lakers, because we all know the Clippers don't exist). But wait, I thought there were 30 teams in the NBA, not 8. Who is everyone playing every night? According to ESPN, it's just those 8 teams, sprinkled in with the likes of a Denver, Detroit, Chicago and maybe Houston. That makes 12.

There's a reason the NBA system is failing. It's not the players or team's fault. It's the League's. Instead of the MLB and NFL, who markets every single one of their teams, the NBA only markets few, making it an exclusive league. That's why I don't watch the NBA, I've tried, but I can't stand always watching the same teams - teams I care nothing about - always on television.

Market all of your teams, gain a larger fanbase, increase your revenue, BAM, you have success.

As good as LeBron, Kobe, etc. are, they can't hold up an entire corporation.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL
 
onewickedlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 3,194
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBACha
Interesting article. Long read but Charlotte is mentioned several times...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/090227

Agreed that consistently biased and poor officiating pisses off lots of fans. Apparently that is true even if you aren't a Cat or Cats fan. That and player salaries high enough to make an honest person gag sure do take away from the credibility of the NBA.

Cats, though, are poised to move upward as far as our fan base if the team keeps improving. I don't think Bob Johnson is only worth $10. I do think that he could do something about improving transportation to the arena so that folks like me and those even further afield could get to games. (It's a bit daunting knowing that I face a nearly three hour drive in traffic to get to a game). Too many fans just cannot get to games. As many of our posters here can attest to.

Back to the article--maybe a 2011 prolonged lockout will humble many players, owners and other league officials and help our sport get back more to basics. The arrogant always deserve to suffer. Us fans don't.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
NBACha
Decent playground baller
 
NBACha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 378
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady

I do think that he could do something about improving transportation to the arena so that folks like me and those even further afield could get to games. (It's a bit daunting knowing that I face a nearly three hour drive in traffic to get to a game). Too many fans just cannot get to games. As many of our posters here can attest to.


I understand your situation but the team cannot be expected to aid in transportation issues. This would be for tour companines and the like to do. If there was a larger fan base, more tour companies would offer transportation packages. I remember back in the days of the "other" NBA team in Charlotte, the coliseum parking lot was jammed with dozens of out of town busses bringing fans in. That was not the team that arranged this, it was independent companies. Without large numbers of fans wanting to come in from out of town, nobody is going to start doing this. Until things improve from a fan base perspective even if you provided FREE transportation to a Bobcats game from Raleigh for example, you'd be hard pressed to fill half a bus. I am a hard core fan of this team, but until there are others like me and more casual fans, none of this is going to happen.

Last edited by NBACha : 03-09-2009 at 08:32 AM.
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
NBACha
Decent playground baller
 
NBACha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 378
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Again another ESPN writer blabbing about how bad things are with no real insight as to what's truly going on at the NBA level.

I'll give you just one example that totally discredited him: He mentioned Okafor, Mohammed, Wallace and Radmanovic as having "bad contracts" and that "no one is buying a ticket to see them play." No dumbass, no one is buying a ticket to see the whole team play because they haven't done anything to warrant fan support. I'd almost be willing to guarantee you that if the last couple of home games of the season were win-and-we're-in or lose-and-go-home scenarios, then the arena will be at least 90% full, if not totally sold out. I can feel it, Charlotteans want an NBA team to cheer for, but they want a winning team, not perennial losers.

Of course no one is going to pay $50 to see Vladimir Radmanovic or Nazr Mohammed play basketball, that's why Charlotte isn't called the Charlotts Nazr's or the Carolina Radmanovic's. There's a reason 5 guys are on the court per team and up to 15 guys on a team each year. BECAUSE IT IS A TEAM GAME.

Now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. When you work for ESPN, you're only allowed to talk about Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix and Los Angeles (the Lakers, because we all know the Clippers don't exist). But wait, I thought there were 30 teams in the NBA, not 8. Who is everyone playing every night? According to ESPN, it's just those 8 teams, sprinkled in with the likes of a Denver, Detroit, Chicago and maybe Houston. That makes 12.

There's a reason the NBA system is failing. It's not the players or team's fault. It's the League's. Instead of the MLB and NFL, who markets every single one of their teams, the NBA only markets few, making it an exclusive league. That's why I don't watch the NBA, I've tried, but I can't stand always watching the same teams - teams I care nothing about - always on television.

Market all of your teams, gain a larger fanbase, increase your revenue, BAM, you have success.

As good as LeBron, Kobe, etc. are, they can't hold up an entire corporation.

TIMMEH, you have WAY overanalyzed this article. When he is stating that Mohammed and Radmanovic and similar players on other teams have "bad contracts" and that "no one is buying a ticket to see them play" he's is right. As a general rule for any NBA team, nobody is paying to see players of that caliber play....they are paying to see the team play. Those players are part of the team but when a team is locked into large contracts for these types of players, it limits the availability of teams to pay the superstars or to develop young players into stars because all of the money is locked up in contracts similar to those players noted above. That's what he's saying.

Also to your point about NBA promiting players over teams, other than the NFL, no professional sports league promotes its teams more than its players. If you didn't live in Kansas City or Pittsburgh, you'd be hard pressed to know anything about the Royals or the Pirates. MLB promotes players (A-Rod, Jeter, Manny, Santana) just as much as the NBA does. I don't disagree with you that if the formula of promoting the team was followed you'd have better success and more fans, but the example of baseball you provided is not a valid example.
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour
 
acidbasesalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 232
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBACha
TIMMEH, you have WAY overanalyzed this article. When he is stating that Mohammed and Radmanovic and similar players on other teams have "bad contracts" and that "no one is buying a ticket to see them play" he's is right. As a general rule for any NBA team, nobody is paying to see players of that caliber play....they are paying to see the team play. Those players are part of the team but when a team is locked into large contracts for these types of players, it limits the availability of teams to pay the superstars or to develop young players into stars because all of the money is locked up in contracts similar to those players noted above. That's what he's saying.

Also to your point about NBA promiting players over teams, other than the NFL, no professional sports league promotes its teams more than its players. If you didn't live in Kansas City or Pittsburgh, you'd be hard pressed to know anything about the Royals or the Pirates. MLB promotes players (A-Rod, Jeter, Manny, Santana) just as much as the NBA does. I don't disagree with you that if the formula of promoting the team was followed you'd have better success and more fans, but the example of baseball you provided is not a valid example.

Great post. This is why I like the Bobcats. I care what most people don't care of. Pretty much the sports column in every news agency focuses on those masked superstars such as A-Rod and LB James. For example, the headline of sports news a few days ago was "A-Rod opts for surgery." What I felt was WTF where did the other 29 teams go? I feel so disgusted and fed up with those insignificant stupid reports and will never support those people. All American professional sports are filled with pseudo-heroism, neglecting many noteworthy players and favouring certain teams and players. Winning wil definitely help attracting people's attention, but only to a certain extent. Ultimately, some teams will just never receive enough support no matter what.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.
 
Timmeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: East of civilization.
Posts: 3,481
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBACha
TIMMEH, you have WAY overanalyzed this article. When he is stating that Mohammed and Radmanovic and similar players on other teams have "bad contracts" and that "no one is buying a ticket to see them play" he's is right. As a general rule for any NBA team, nobody is paying to see players of that caliber play....they are paying to see the team play. Those players are part of the team but when a team is locked into large contracts for these types of players, it limits the availability of teams to pay the superstars or to develop young players into stars because all of the money is locked up in contracts similar to those players noted above. That's what he's saying.

Also to your point about NBA promiting players over teams, other than the NFL, no professional sports league promotes its teams more than its players. If you didn't live in Kansas City or Pittsburgh, you'd be hard pressed to know anything about the Royals or the Pirates. MLB promotes players (A-Rod, Jeter, Manny, Santana) just as much as the NBA does. I don't disagree with you that if the formula of promoting the team was followed you'd have better success and more fans, but the example of baseball you provided is not a valid example.
While you're right on the fact that the NFL market is more team-based than MLB, my point was that on any given night, you can see any of the 32 teams in the MLB on ESPN, even the Royals and Pirates. Look at the NBA however, and you can almost guess which of a handful of teams are playing.

And maybe I did over analyze it, I just went on a rant about how screwed up the NBA is in terms of money/marketing/fairness.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
NBACha
Decent playground baller
 
NBACha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 378
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
my point was that on any given night, you can see any of the 32 teams in the MLB on ESPN, even the Royals and Pirates.
[b]Only if they're playing the Yankees or the Dodgers![/B]

And maybe I did over analyze it, I just went on a rant about how screwed up the NBA is in terms of money/marketing/fairness.
Probably a valid point in some circumstances.

It's all good!
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!
 
Quizno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 4,897
Default Re: NBA Troubles

speaking of the Dodgers.........

GO DODGERS!!!!

Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL
 
onewickedlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 3,194
Default Re: NBA Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
speaking of the Dodgers.........

GO DODGERS!!!!


I saw Sandy Koufax play. Unfortunately it was not a stellar performance that day and he was taken out of the game by the third inning. I was in either elementary school or what was then called "junior high school."

Mods--you can move this elsewhere if need be.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy