Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #31
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: So a friend of mine hung himself

Sorry about your friend. However, I can't fathom how people actually go through with a suicide. To have complete control over your natural instincts to survive. I wonder if they regret it seconds before their last breathe of air escapes them.

But that's a common age for a suicide and I firmly believe that everyone knows at least someone in their life that has committed or attempted suicide. As a fairly new teacher, I haven't been involved in this up close, but it would not surprise me if it happened sooner or later.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #32
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Gunnin4HoLeS is a pretty well-respected posterGunnin4HoLeS is a pretty well-respected posterGunnin4HoLeS is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Wouldn't someone that kills his or herself go to hell (according to the bible)?
Sadly yes. The bible states only God is allowed to give life and take it away. Suicide is taking matters in your hand. I hope this doesnt turn religious. I dont mean to offend anyone btw
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #33
mrpuente
pheelme?

mrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
A friend of mine did the same thing. Never saw it coming. Me and him with a couple of girls had just spent a week near Ensanada at his parent's summer house. He was separated from his wife but seemed like he was in awesome spirits, we had a blast down there. He had got back with his wife, but hung himself like 6 months later. Guy was only 19. I have trouble feeling sorry for him though without being a little pissed because he hung himself at his parent's house when he was alone with his 2 year old daughter. When his parents walked in, the baby was staring up at him crying, He didn't even bother to close the door to the room so his daughter couldn't get in.

Makes you wonder what a deep, dark world the human mind sinks into in order to get to the point where you can wrap something around your neck and let yourself go, knowing that you are going to probably suffer violently before you die.
Damn that is messed up. But like I said also about my friend he did it the day after we got back from a road trip in the middle of downtown in the middle of the day. He almost fell on someone walking by.
mrpuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #34
mrpuente
pheelme?

mrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation heremrpuente has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Sorry about your friend. However, I can't fathom how people actually go through with a suicide. To have complete control over your natural instincts to survive. I wonder if they regret it seconds before their last breathe of air escapes them.

But that's a common age for a suicide and I firmly believe that everyone knows at least someone in their life that has committed or attempted suicide. As a fairly new teacher, I haven't been involved in this up close, but it would not surprise me if it happened sooner or later.
What I heard about people that commit suicide is that they are looking forward too it. When they make up their mind theyre ready. Its weird.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #35
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Here's a situation that happened a year ago for me:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90359

Since then I've carried a camera with me everywhere I went. You never know when you're gonna lose somebody so I try to capture every moment with those I cherish.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #36
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What's crazy is that ppl who are morbidly depressed don't have the energy (takes a lot) to go through with killing themselves. It happens when ppl start to show signs of improvement. Case in point one of my professors told me a story about how a patient he had that was very suicidal. At one point he wasn't to be left alone in a room, etc. He had sought professional help and was starting to show signs of improvement. He surprised his wife by telling her that he had bought plane tickets for him and his 3 year old daughter to go to Disney world the following month. After a moment of elation he proceeded to go hang himself in the garage. Sad.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #37
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Wouldn't someone that kills his or herself go to hell (according to the bible)?
No.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you guys are interested in learning about Suicide I'd strongly suggest checking out "The Bridge". This director set up over 20 cameras at the Golden Gate Bridge (#1 Suicide Destination in the World) and proceeded to capture 19 of 24 suicides on film. He does extensive interviews with some of the families and it is a really fascinating look at mental illness.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #39
mrpuente
pheelme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
If you guys are interested in learning about Suicide I'd strongly suggest checking out "The Bridge". This director set up over 20 cameras at the Golden Gate Bridge (#1 Suicide Destination in the World) and proceeded to capture 19 of 24 suicides on film. He does extensive interviews with some of the families and it is a really fascinating look at mental illness.
That doesnt sound like something I would be interested in but I do have a story.

A couple years ago I was driving from Cali back to Texas and we were passing through Phoenix, and up on one of the over passes was some lady crawling on the fence like she was going to jump off onto the highway. There was one cop Im assuming trying to talk her out of it, but I was just driving on the highway so I dont know how what happened after that. It was pretty disturbing though seeing someone going through that.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #40
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
today is actually the two year anniversary of my cousin's suicide. he was also 18 at the time and killed himself because he was gay and his father didn't accept him. sorry for your loss.

This happens everyday. Makes me fucking sick.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #41
ROAM.
I brick open layups

ROAM. has an OK reputation so far

i'm sorry for your loss. i've had 2 friends end their lives and the circumstances leading to them just never made any sense. it's hard when they show no signs of distress.
ROAM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #42
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

sorry to hear about your friend. Losing someone through suicide is always hard.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #43
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Hanging yourself seems like something from 30 years ago...there's a lot of less scary ways to die...bullets, pills. Usually suicides is seen by the person as a way to get back at another person.

Sorry for your lost though. My good friend just died from a car accident two weeks ago and I'm still sad. Especially because he's a really really good person. I doubt I'll care all that much if my average friend died.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #44
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

someone at my school last year hung himself he just went down in his basement and hung himself off the piping it was fucked i knew him
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #45
usa hoops
Serious playground baller

usa hoops has decent reputation

Sorry for your loss.

I didn't know this guy personally, but this guy at work hung himself after a girl
accused him of rape. He did it in prison, with his shoe laces.

After the investigation, it turned out that the girl claimed rape only because her other boyfriend found out that she was cheating. She accused him of rape to save face.

I wish she would've been charged with murder.
usa hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: