Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: top 5 Tool songs

Is he as good as Jason Segel with his 35 piece set in Freaks and Geeks?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
definitely.

i remember being absolutely blown away by danny carey's skills when i saw them live. i'm talking jaw dropping to the floor, the whole deal. in fact, the only other drummer that has similarly wowed me at a show is this kid who tours with roy ayers ubiquity - i think his name is lee pearson - but he obviously plays a very different style of drums to carey.
What Carey does with the bass drums and pedals is just....

I will never understand how he keeps those crazy, driving rhythms... and then never loses time when the signature completely changes (in fact, he initiates it)... Throw in his insane little drum solos and improvs...

Danny Carey
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #18
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
What Carey does with the bass drums and pedals is just....

I will never understand how he keeps those crazy, driving rhythms... and then never loses time when the signature completely changes (in fact, he initiates it)... Throw in his insane little drum solos and improvs...

Danny Carey

Mike Portnoy > Danny Carey in terms of technique...but Carey sounds WAY better, is WAY more creative, and WAY more badass, and isn't a tool, no pun intended..
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, Tool just ain't my thing. I just listened to the first three songs of Aenima - it doesn't do it for me. Perhaps if I knew enough about drumming to fully appreciate Carey, I'd "get it". For now, it's a little bit too hard for my taste. Certainly not something I'd listen to for leisure.

Maybe i'll try them out again in another year or so.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #20
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Mike Portnoy > Danny Carey in terms of technique...but Carey sounds WAY better, is WAY more creative, and WAY more badass, and isn't a tool, no pun intended..
I believe this goes to your point about creativity, but Portnoy sticks to pretty basic beats and plays more of a 'metal' style, while Carey is a more 'progressive' player that thrives on time signature changes. I don't see Portnoy being very impressive if he had to employ the style that Tool uses... I don't think he could even pull it off, personally.

Portnoy is talented... No doubt about that. But, give Carey the basic metal rhythms that Mike plays with the majority of the time and he would blow Portnoy's doors off, imo.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #21
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Yeah, Tool just ain't my thing. I just listened to the first three songs of Aenima - it doesn't do it for me. Perhaps if I knew enough about drumming to fully appreciate Carey, I'd "get it". For now, it's a little bit too hard for my taste. Certainly not something I'd listen to for leisure.

Maybe i'll try them out again in another year or so.
I had a hard time getting over the 'hardness' of the music myself when I first heard them. I couldn't get over the visual of your typical headbanging idiot. It took me a while to realize that this is not music that is made for headbanging, but rather introspection. It is definitely an acquired taste and it took me some time to 'get it'... But, once I did...

It isn't just the drumming... The complexity of the songs are something to behold. Also, this is the best workout music ever. I put on 10,000 Days when I go for my daily jogs. It can make you go that extra mile...

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-06-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #22
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Well maybe I'll throw it on my iPod for my next bikeride. From what I remember, 10,000 Days is a little bit softer of an album, isn't it? Been a little while since I heard it. Maybe I'll start with that.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

I hated tool at first. Just be patient with it. It will come to anyone I promise you that. So unique.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #24
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Well maybe I'll throw it on my iPod for my next bikeride. From what I remember, 10,000 Days is a little bit softer of an album, isn't it? Been a little while since I heard it. Maybe I'll start with that.
All of their albums tend to flux between 'hard' and 'soft.' It is really all about the build-up with Tool. Yes... 10,000 Days has some 'softer' stuff.

You may actually want to start with Lateralus, though.

The Patient

Dispostion

...which goes into...

Reflection
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #25
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool

Maynard is not gay, just into challenging what is the social norm, and provoking thought.

Tool truely is life changing, and an inspiration. Maynard is an inpiration to millions around the globe, and cares about true change and advancment of civilization. If your going to experience them I would suggest looking up maynards discography and following that with his life story so you can understand where tool began and there purpose and how time and wisdom has molded them into a artistic masterpiece.

(Exclude puscifer when you get to the end, that stuff is whack.)

Opiate, Undertow, Aenema, Lateralus, then 10,000 days

in that order, and at best buy they have dvds for each cd for 10 bux that goes into explanation of each album. also last year revolver did an in depth guide to tool, which was also pretty enlightening.

Best band ever hands dowm

to bad they cant get along enough to stay around each other constantly

other good songs

Disposition anD Reflection

Crawl Away (with henry rollins)

H

The entire lateralus album

Wings for Marie ( a continuation of eulogy)

10,000 days (would be part 3)

Right in Two
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #26
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

squish the meat video (Sober) rocks.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #27
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Quote:
to bad they cant get along enough to stay around each other constantly

Where did you hear this? I think the reason why they sometimes take long breaks is because Maynard is a key part of another enormously popular band. He splits time between the two. When Maynard was doing his last tour for APC, the other three members of Tool were in the studio together writing music.

They also refuse to release records on any timetable but their own. Part of the reason why their albums are so well-crafted is because they take the time to do it right.

Maynard himself has said that Tool will continue to make music together until "one of us is dead."

I've never seen anything that indicates that the band can't exist because of personal conflicts.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #28
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool

Refering back to Revolver's Ultimate guide to Tool, (which is basically a dictaded biography of tool and the members, from the members themselves) better known as the book of tool, in the part labeled "Hammer of the Gods" It explains the personal differences and other obligations that make forming and keeping Tool together. It outlines the strifes between the members and times of nearly breaking up. It also explains how that this is a small driving factor behind time tables between albums, and how you never see them together outside of Tool, and why they are never together except those short months while producing and touring, thus they indulge in other projects living off kickbacks of Tool.

Quote from Justin Chancellor on page 70

"Itshard to keep a band together, But in our case its just worth it:

Nothing big just creative strife, prolly just jabber to keep us interested
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #29
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Hm. Thanks for the info, I'll have to read the book.

Cheers.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #30
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm pretty disappointed in 10,000 days...I mean, there are some stand-outs but it lacks the cohesiveness of Aenima and Lateralus...and I think Maynards voice has been going downhill since after Aenima. As creative and introspective as they are, I think they need to change a little bit - not change their identity but...I know how to put it into words...they seemed to be more out of touch than usual with 10,000 days, maybe its the 5 years between every album.

P.S. how could I forget H? It's one of my favorite songs.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 03-06-2009 at 12:17 PM.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: