Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #16
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Can anyone rock the guitar harder than clapton???

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLebronWeTrust
Hmmm.. looks like you don't know much about him anyway. He's like top 25 on rolling stones greatest guitarists of all-time. Get past his gushy songs and listen to that blues ring out. Just see where people rank him in years to come. You don't know shyt.
So wait, you're citing a list that Hendrix came in at #1 on to bolster your point about Mayer and then denigrate Hendrix?

How fucking stupid could you possibly be?

As for Hendrix, I don't care who you think is "better." What's important is that Hendrix put electric guitar ahead by about 50 years and completely - and I do mean COMPLETELY - changed the scope of the instrument. The guitar wasn't even a mainstream lead instrument until Hendrix came around. The styles he pioneered (simultaneous rhythm and lead playing, for example) didn't exist before him and now are a staple. Prior to him feedback was a guitarist's worst nightmare. He experimented with tons of unheard of guitar effects. Don't even get me started on the crazy sht he was doing in the studio. He completely revamped the electric guitar as an instrument and the style of play that followed. If you don't like his playing, whatever, but he's the most important electric guitar figure ever, and if you are unable to acknowledge the enormous impact he had, then you're not worth the saliva it would take to spit on you.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 03-06-2009 at 01:14 AM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
No offense, but Rolling Stone is garbage. Their list is absolute hogwash.

They have Kurt Cobain, Keith Richards, and Jack White in their top 20 ahead of names like Buddy Guy, John Fogerty, Brian May, Eddie Van Halen (they have him 70th!), Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, and many more!

The fact that you referenced Rolling Stone as them being the best judge of who's better than whom gives you no credibility regarding the music industry. With the exception of your boy Morello (Mr. Creativity), Mayer and Black are absolute garbage.

Here's the link, see for yourselves: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...all_time/print
man, I am glad I have not seen that list you speak of. It would make my blood boil.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #18
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
man, I am glad I have not seen that list you speak of. It would make my blood boil.

If I recall correctly Dimebag isn't even on the list, while Cobain is top 20
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #19
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Knuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Hmmm.. looks like you don't know much about him anyway. He's like top 25 on rolling stones greatest guitarists of all-time. Get past his gushy songs and listen to that blues ring out. Just see where people rank him in years to come. You don't know shyt.
I'm sorry guitar god. I have seen the error of my ways. Listing John Mayer above Hendrix was perfectly reasonable.

The only problem I have now is that you forgot to mention the guy from the Jonas Brothers.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #20
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think guys like this also missed the cut at the expense of Kurt Cobain.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #21
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
If I recall correctly Dimebag isn't even on the list, while Cobain is top 20

No sh*t and Dime is my all-time favorite. They have Joan Jett on that list before any mention of Dimebag.

Rolling Stone =
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #22
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
So wait, you're citing a list that Hendrix came in at #1 on to bolster your point about Mayer and then denigrate Hendrix?

How fucking stupid could you possibly be?

As for Hendrix, I don't care who you think is "better." What's important is that Hendrix put electric guitar ahead by about 50 years and completely - and I do mean COMPLETELY - changed the scope of the instrument. The guitar wasn't even a mainstream lead instrument until Hendrix came around. The styles he pioneered (simultaneous rhythm and lead playing, for example) didn't exist before him and now are a staple. Prior to him feedback was a guitarist's worst nightmare. He experimented with tons of unheard of guitar effects. He completely revamped the electric guitar as an instrument and the style of play that followed. If you don't like his playing, whatever, but he's the most important electric guitar figure ever, and if you are unable to acknowledge the enormous impact he had, then you're not worth the saliva it would take to spit on you.

Alright satan. How popular would he have been if we would have started lets say two decades later? So much more competition would have arose that he could possibly not even be considered top 10. The Rolling Stones reference was to the other guy, not you. I don't agree with it obviously with hendrix at 1 but if a guy is poking fun at Mayer, then he obviously doesn't know how good he is. It seems like you know about guitarists so you know he deserves credit. You can tell me all you want but that's not gonna change my mind so you can keep talking if you want.. Hopefully you'll get carpel tunnel that much sooner. People worship him, I just don't get it.

more guitarists that are filthy
David Gilmour
Pete Townshend
Alexi Laiho
Neal Schon
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
I'm sorry guitar god. I have seen the error of my ways. Listing John Mayer above Hendrix was perfectly reasonable.

The only problem I have now is that you forgot to mention the guy from the Jonas Brothers.

Did I say he was better then hendrix? Perish. You know nothing
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Hell not even George Thorogood gets mentioned!
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #25
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

eddie hazel definitely deserves a mention if guys like tom morello and john mayer are being dropped in the same breath as jimi freaking hendrix and i'm a big rage fan.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #26
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Jimi Hendrix is more GOAT than MJ is. Stop arguing about his technique and LISTEN!!!!! So much soul....

So Jimi is DEFINITELY better, SRV is DEFINITELY better...

I don't know if he is better but I like Jimmy Page more...this is absolutely my favorite Stairway To Heaven solo he ever played, start listening from 6 minutes in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kNEo8OxrT8
Makes me want to cry almost...
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #27
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Jimi Hendrix is more GOAT than MJ is. Stop arguing about his technique and LISTEN!!!!! So much soul....

Oh my. Don't get me started.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #28
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Alright satan. How popular would he have been if we would have started lets say two decades later?
You just don't get it.

Do you actually not realize that these guys you're talking about two decades later aren't the same players if Jimi Hendrix hadn't arrived on the scene? You actually think guys like Vaughan exist without Hendrix? Do you even realize how many of those guys might not have ever picked up a guitar if they hadn't heard Hendrix? Like, the cause and effect that you're ignoring is incredible. So much ignorance.

But don't take my word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Satriani
My first [guitar] lessons lasted two weeks and it was "Jingle Bells." It didn't make any sense at all. I wanted to know how to play like Hendrix...

(Voodoo Child) is just the greatest piece of electric guitar work ever recorded. In fact, the whole song could be considered the holy grail of guitar expression and technique. It is a beacon of humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayer
Who I am as a guitarist is defined by my failure to become Jimi Hendrix.

That's just a couple I remember off the top of my head. Like I said, most of the guys you named ooze Hendrix influence. SRV? Mayer? Fruscinate? Those guys worship the ground Jimi walked on. Please. You're embarrassing yourself here. You clearly aren't a guitar player yourself and the fact that you resort to Rolling Stone rankings to illustrate your arguments is beyond pathetic.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 03-06-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #29
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mark Knopfler is the most underrated guitarist... maybe ever. He rarely gets mentioned on these kinds of threads/lists. He isn't overly flashy, but the guy can play the f#ck out of the gee tar.

Does the Rolling Stone have Cobain in front of Knopfler? Oh god... I'm scared to look. Is Cobain in front of David Gilmour? Steve Howe?

Knopfler... getting loose.

Again

Knopfler and Clapton do 'Sultans of Swing'

Another underrated guitarist is former Jefferson Airplane and current Hot Tuna player Jorma Kaukonen.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #30
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
You just don't get it.

Do you actually not realize that these guys you're talking about two decades later aren't the same players if Jimi Hendrix hadn't arrived on the scene? You actually think guys like Vaughan exist without Hendrix? Do you even realize how many of those guys might not have ever picked up a guitar if they hadn't heard Hendrix? Like, the cause and effect that you're ignoring is incredible. So much ignorance.

But don't take my word for it.

That's just a couple I remember off the top of my head. Like I said, most of the guys you named ooze Hendrix influence. SRV? Mayer? Fruscinate? Those guys worship the ground Jimi walked on. Please. You're embarrassing yourself here. You clearly aren't a guitar player yourself and the fact that you resort to Rolling Stone rankings to illustrate your arguments is beyond pathetic. Ignore list.

I'm quite content actually. He'll always be overrated to me. I'm not a guitar player huh? You sure about that.. can you quiz me or something. I've been playing for a few years. What kind of guitar do you have? I have a vintage strat with some seymour duncans I put in and an ovation celebrity 6 string.. That was my first one I ever had. I have a nice little vox valvetronix 30 watt amp with some nice little presets. Yeah, you're right though.. I don't play, I just bought it for shyts and giggles.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: