Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #31
HoustonRockets87
High School Starter

i feel so bad for jason kidd becasue he had his wikipedia site changed:

Quote:
Kidd accused of abusing his wife

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Joumana and Jason Kidd have been the first couple of Phoenix sports. Outgoing and friendly, she appears regularly on local television.

Jason Kidd and Suns owner Jerry Colangelo address the media Friday concerning Kidd's arrest on domestic violence charges.

Kidd, a member of the U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in Sydney, has credited their partnership as a big factor in his rise to NBA superstardom. He said the kisses he blows before free throws are for her.

Now, Kidd is accused of striking her during an argument at their home in Paradise Valley on Thursday evening. A misdemeanor assault charge was filed by town attorney Andrew Miller on Friday. Arraignment is scheduled for Wednesday.

"There's just a bad history here," Joumana Kidd told police on a 911 call. "I told him this would be the last time, and he popped me right in the mouth."

Kidd appeared alongside Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo and made a brief statement to reporters Friday.

"I love my wife. I love my family," Kidd said. "This is a situation that is embarrassing to me, to my family, my friends and also to the Phoenix Suns. I apologize for that and at this time that is pretty much all I can say."

Police who responded to the call from the Kidds' home in Paradise Valley, an affluent suburb, said Joumana Kidd had a swollen lip and was bleeding inside her mouth.

Police said Kidd admitted striking her.
He was arrested on suspicion of domestic abuse, appeared before a magistrate Thursday night and was released to the custody of his attorney.

The incident occurred just days after Miller decided to drop an intimidation charge against Kidd's backcourt mate, Penny Hardaway. Hardaway had been accused by the mother of his 8-year-old daughter of intimidating her by carrying a gun during an argument outside his Paradise Valley home. The charge was dropped when the woman declined to cooperate further in the case.

Kidd was not in uniform for Friday night's game against Golden State. Colangelo said Kidd would sit out the game "due to the circumstances at hand." Without Kidd, Phoenix suffered a 103-95 loss to the Warriors.

"It should be noted that Joumana, Jason and the Phoenix Suns agree that the focus should be on their personal family issues," Colangelo said.

Colangelo, who has dealt with other cases involving alleged domestic abuse by his athletes, has described such incidents as part of a serious societal problem.

Kidd's arrest was a shock because the pair had been held up as a model pro sports couple. Together they had been hosts of a local telecast of the annual New Year's Eve celebration in Tempe.

"Joumana and Jason are very special people as far as the Phoenix Suns are concerned," Colangelo said. "Joumana has been a very big part of the Phoenix Suns family and we care about them both very much. We know they love each other. We know there are issues to be worked out. They need time to make that happen."

In the 911 call, Joumana Kidd said she didn't need medical attention.

"Don't worry about me," she said. "This is minor compared to what I usually go through."

Kidd said he couldn't comment on whether anything like this had happened before, but said, "I have issues that I have to work on."

Kidd had a run-in with police while a student at California, and he had a turbulent early career with the Dallas Mavericks, but had been a model citizen publicly since he came to the Suns.

He and his wife operate the Jason Kidd Foundation, which contributes to the Phoenix Children's Hospital and Phoenix Boys and Girls Club, among other causes.

But the 911 tape and subsequent police report shows a far from docile relationship.

On the 911 tape, Kidd can be heard shouting in the background.

Police said that Joumana Kidd was crying when they arrived following the 5:44 p.m. call to 911. She said she and her husband had been arguing since he got home.

About 5 p.m., Joumana Kidd said, she decided to go to the gym and asked Jason if he would watch and feed their 2-year-old son, T.J. Police said Kidd took a french fry from the boy's plate, and his wife told him not to eat the child's food.

"Jason then turns towards Mrs. Kidd and spits the french fry at Mrs. Kidd, striking her in the face," the police report said. "Mrs. Kidd turns away from Jason. Jason then strikes Mrs. Kidd in the face while holding a container of yogurt in his hand"

Police said Joumana Kidd ran upstairs to her bedroom and locked the door, but her husband kicked the door open. She said she went to the bathroom and locked the door again.

Mrs. Kidd called police, but hung up before authorities could answer. Paradise Valley police called the number, and talked to Jason Kidd first, then his wife.

He offered no resistance when informed of the arrest.

Kidd, considered perhaps the best point guard in the NBA, has five triple-doubles this season and 36 in his career. He likely will be voted as a starter in the All-Star game.

i also found it funny when my fellow rockets fans were pissed that someone put some "bad stuff" on vernon maxwell's page. he sounds like a really great guy....
Quote:
1987: Due to NCAA violations, all the points he scored last two seasons in college were eliminated from the record books.
1994: He was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon.
1994: He swung a free weight at the head of his teammate Carl Herrera, who required 30 stiches.
1995: He took two weeks off from the season for "personal problems", only to admit later that he merely wanted an in-season vacation.
1995: In a game at Portland, he ran into the stands to punch a fan.
1997: Ordered to pay $592,000 for knowingly infecting a woman with herpes. The plaintiff was awarded a default judgement as Maxell did not appear in court.
1999: In Florida, he was arrested for failing to pay $160,000 in child support.

Last edited by HoustonRockets87 : 06-13-2006 at 05:49 AM.
HoustonRockets87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #32
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Why don't she just leave the guy if he treats her like shit? Maybe the 17,000$ from child support monthly won't support her. ;/
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #33
HoustonRockets87
High School Starter

sorry to go off topic for a second about mad max, but this stories actually really sad. i dont feel sad for him but for his ex-wife and son.
but some of my fellow rocket fans still worship the guy and think it is an act of racism when people diss the guy. luckily some fans like myself atleast agree that he was a scumbag.
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=111213
the guys a complete asshole, but he could shoot a basketball so lets praise him!
Quote:
more on mad max:

'Mad Max' threw away talent and much more

MIZELL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-mail:
Click here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive
By HUBERT MIZELL, Times Correspondent
Published May 30, 2004

Vernon Maxwell had towering basketball talent, but as a human being he is lower than sludge. Mad Max scored more points than any University of Florida player ever, but greed cost him the record.

Twice in a 13-year, $15-million NBA career, Maxwell won titles with the Houston Rockets, but at 38 he's washed up; busted financially and personally. That's not even close to the worst of it.

It could've been so sweet. Mad Max is a good-looking guy. His smile can have electricity. Vernon should be entering a delightful stage. Nearing his 40s, being cheered when coming back to Florida's arena, respected on Gainesville streets where he grew up, flashing those NBA rings. Instead he is a hometown disgrace, unwelcome on UF property.

It's been a life of lousy choices. Doing drugs. Cheating his family. Smearing his collegiate legacy. Wasting his fortune. Abusing women. Disgusting his children.

High point of Mad Max's basketball experience came in Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals. Teamed with Kenny Smith in the Rockets backcourt, Vernon scored 21 points and had four assists. Houston beat the Knicks to win its first championship. Maxwell was toast of the town. There was a repeat in 1995, with Houston beating Orlando. But soon, he would be just toast.

Three years after his Houston glory seasons, Maxwell filed for bankruptcy. As late as 2000, he signed a $5-million contract with Seattle but child support records show Vernon has paid nothing since May 2001 to Myra Jenkins, mother of their 15-year-old son, Dominique.

Last month, Max Max spent five days in a Gainesville jail on charges of failing to pay $150,000 in child support. He was extradited from Cobb County, Ga., after being charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault.

Cobb County police told the Gainesville Sun that Maxwell abducted Belinda Beine, a recent companion. Records say Vernon locked the woman in her Marietta home, then beat her after an escape try. Upon being arrested, Maxwell told an officer his name was "Kenneth Shaw."

A sweetheart, I'm telling you.

Twenty-four hours after Maxwell declared bankruptcy in 1998, a Houston court ruled he should pay $592,000 to Shelia Rias, a woman who said Vernon knowingly infected her with herpes. Maxwell's pitiful story was told at length last Sunday by Sun reporter Kevin Brockway. For 10 years, Vernon was married. He and Rasharita divorced in 1999. She got their $348,000 house in suburban Atlanta plus his Porsche, Range Rover and bank account. But the couple lived together another two years and became parents of a fourth child, daughter Madison.

Dominique is a strapping 6-foot-6 sophomore at Gainesville Buchholz High where his dad was once a hero but the kid chose not to go out for basketball. Coaches pleaded but Dominique's mom told the Sun, "When he found out what his father did, he said he wanted in no way be like him."

Years ago, Myra would write postcards to Dominique and sign Vernon's name, so the boy would think his father cared.

Mad Max reached out once, but that had a foul odor. Vernon took third-grader Dominique for a blood test. He gave $40 to the child as hush money. Dominique told his mother anyway.

Results proved what Myra knew, that the son was indeed fathered by Maxwell. "He's a poor excuse for a human being," Jenkins told the Sun. "A poor excuse for a man."

Gainesville never had a better high school athlete. After being named Mr. Basketball in the state, Mad Max promised the late Jim Valvano that N.C. State was the next stop, but Vernon went partying with UF players and decided to sign with the Gators.

There was sizzle. Maxwell was 6 feet 4, quick and blessed with a gorgeous outside shot. Mad Max helped UF basketball to new plateaus, making two NCAA Tournaments. He hit a last-second shot to beat St. Johns in 1988's opening round. Bad stuff coming. ...

Florida lost in the second round to Michigan. Maxwell, who had been warned there would be a drug test, flunked it and admitted to smoking marijuana before leaving Gainesville. If the Wolverines had been beaten, the Gators would've been disqualified.

Maxwell became the Gator career points leader (2,450), but his final two seasons were erased after athletic director Bill Arnsparger learned Vernon had accepted money from an agent. Mad Max averaged 18.8 per game.

Penalties came from the NCAA. Rumors were thick that Maxwell used cocaine before games, the Sun reported. Word was, coach Norm Sloan knew but refused to act. Sloan later admitted to Jack Hairston, then Sun sports editor, that - in a scoreless, hopeless Mad Max appearance against Tennessee - "he was drunk."

- Hubert Mizell can be reached

Last edited by HoustonRockets87 : 06-13-2006 at 05:56 AM.
HoustonRockets87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #34
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default Re:

Quote:
Why don't she just leave the guy if he treats her like shit? Maybe the 17,000$ from child support monthly won't support her. ;/

naive.

people who get married are " in love "

yes physical abuse is not somethin gshe should stand for, but unless Jason has "exceeded the limit" (subjective based on Joumana) her love will overcome or something.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #35
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Vernon Maxwell is a real piece of shit...wow
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: