Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Sanity
I know from experience

Default Props to Obama

I've been very critical of him but I take my hat off to him for lifting the Bush ban of stem cell research. Its nice for science to get its chance again without the opposition going *redneck voice* "Its against gods will".

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) US President Barack Obama will Monday wipe out another contentious aspect of his predecessor George W. Bush's legacy by removing curbs on federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research.

The president will sign an executive order reversing a policy that critics say has hampered the fight into finding treatments for grave diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and diabetes, a senior administration official said.

The official would not divulge the exact wording of the order, but confirmed, on condition of anonymity, that it would be in line with Obama's campaign vow to restore funding to embryonic stem-cell research.

The move will spark delight among scientists who have long campaigned for the Bush policy to be overturned, but was already running into fire from social conservatives and right-to-life groups.

Obama spelled out his campaign policy on stem-cell research last August in a list of answers to the Science Debate 2008 scientific lobby group.

"I strongly support expanding research on stem cells," Obama wrote.

"I believe that the restrictions that President Bush has placed on funding of human embryonic stem-cell research have handcuffed our scientists and hindered our ability to compete with other nations.

"As president, I will lift the current administration's ban on federal funding of research on embryonic stem cell lines created after August 9, 2001 through executive order, and I will ensure that all research on stem cells is conducted ethically and with rigorous oversight."

Reports about Obama's plans for Monday were immediately condemned by Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council.

"Today's news that President Obama will open the door to direct taxpayer funds for embryonic stem-cell research that encourages the destruction of human embryos is a slap in the face to Americans who believe in the dignity of all human life," Perkins said.

John Boehner, the Republican leader in the House of Representatives said government money should be used to fund alternative stem-cell research that does not involve destroying an embryo.

"Republicans enthusiastically support adult, cord blood, and pluripotent stem cell research that have shown so much promise in recent years," Boehner said.

"The question is whether taxpayer dollars should be used to subsidize the destruction of precious human life.

"Millions of Americans strongly oppose that, and rightfully so."

Bush barred federal funding from supporting work on new lines of stem cells derived from human embryos in 2001, allowing research only on a small number of embryonic stem-cell lines which existed at that time.

He also several times vetoed legislation passed by Congress backing the research.

Obama reportedly told Democratic lawmakers shortly after his inauguration in January that he would guarantee lifting Bush-era restrictions on federal funding of stem-cell research.

He also co-sponsored legislation while a senator that would have permitted using federal funding for stem-cell research.

"Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that we owe it to the American public to explore the potential of stem cells to treat the millions of people suffering from debilitating and life-threatening diseases," his campaign said in a statement last year.

Bush argued that using human embryos for scientific research -- which often involves their destruction -- crossed a moral barrier and urged scientists to consider other alternatives.

Embryonic stem cells are primitive cells from early-stage embryos capable of developing into almost every tissue of the body.

The Obama administration took aim at another controversial Bush administration policy on Friday, vowing to rescind a rule that would allow health care workers to deny medical care such as birth control or abortion to patients if it clashes with their morals.

The Department of Health and Human Services filed a proposal to "rescind in its entirety" the so-called refusal or conscience rule, which was pushed through by former president George W. Bush on December 18, a month before Obama took office.
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Re: Props to Obama

I'm not pro or anti Obama.

But I agree....... this is a great thing he has done.

I hope he continues to further fund science and technology.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Definitely a good move.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Stem cell research is back online.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Hawker
Banned

Agreed.

Now let the scientists do their work.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Another symbolic gesture lacking on substance. Stem cell research has been taking place regardless of the Bush administration rules. Most of the promising discoveries have involved adult stem cells which were not inhibited in any form or fashion. Kind of like promising to close Gitmo but then giving a date way off in the distance.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

federal funding for stem cell research...

why????????

Im all for it but with tax payer money...
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
federal funding for stem cell research...

why????????

Im all for it but with tax payer money...

Uh... to help cure diseases?

And evolve the medicinal/science field.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

This is very good.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Smokee
Banned

the religious right have always been a bunch of retards. probably the biggest problem with the 'right' in general
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
Brujesino
BoGawd

so if i my girl were to have a abortion(which iam against)they would use the fetus to research stem cell research

what if the couple doesnt want the fetus tested on?

i dont know i find this both good and bad

good - we might have a chance to find cures for awful diseases

bad- iam not for abortion and even fetusis getting tested on kinda bothers me i dont know why it does but it just does
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
the religious right have always been a bunch of retards. probably the biggest problem with the 'right' in general

retards would have a very difficult time following the catholic moral reasoning against embryonic stem cell research:

http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/...est61203.shtml

among the considerations, a big problem could be the creation of human embryos for research-- which is apparently going on at some level in europe
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
PistolPete
The Pistol

Equilibrium here we come
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Equilibrium here we come

WTF does Stemcell research have to do with Equilibrium?
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
PistolPete
The Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
WTF does Stemcell research have to do with Equilibrium?

over your head
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: