Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Skyscraper
Local High School Star

Skyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected poster
Default What is your stance on embryonic stem cell research?

President Obama has overturned President Bush's ban on providing federal funds to promote embryonic stem cell research on the cell lines (meaning the cells were made immortal so they would divide forever if raised with the proper nutrition in a petri dish) derived from donated embryos.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...earch-ban.html

here are some reactions:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...9/1828912.aspx

Keep in mind those reactions are from politicians or other lay people.

Read this article by a scientist/doctor

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/heart-to...-creation.html

In essence:

Obama has allowed for scientists to research on the embryonic stem cell lines created from donor embryos that have been frozen for all this time because Bush denied using them.

However, Obama has let Congress debate whether or not they would support CREATING embryos for the sole purpose of DESTROYING them and HARVESTING them. Remember, President CLINTON opposed this measure and Bush merely held it up.

Also, ESC = fail. They injected stem cells into a boy with a disease and he ended up growing tumors.

even the more promising approach of harvesting pluripotent stem cells from adult skin cells (which does NOT require destroying embryos and can also grow different cell types) may lead to cancers.

so what is your take?

I'd say

NO on ESC... not on any moral grounds but that the firestorm of controversy hampers productivity.

YES on PSC (the one NOT made from embryos)

and I don't think they will ever get anywhere with this research. It is fool's gold
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation
Default Re: What is your stance on embryonic stem cell research?

I think as long as abortion is still legal, then it's a no-brainer.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Skyscraper
Local High School Star

Skyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness

what do you mean by that?

If abortion is legal (meaning kill the embryo) then stem cell research is fine also?

well, I suppose that means the prevailing viewpoint would accept it... if that's what you meant
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness
agreed, they might as well put those embryos to use.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper
what do you mean by that?

If abortion is legal (meaning kill the embryo) then stem cell research is fine also?

well, I suppose that means the prevailing viewpoint would accept it... if that's what you meant

Hito just said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
agreed, they might as well put those embryos to use.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

weird, i just did an article on obama's overturning of Bush's previous ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research for school. i am definitely for it!
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

personally i am torn about it to tell you the truth... when i was younger i was simple, no abortion no stem cell research because it was evil... im not disregarding my religion or beliefs but currently being in college, your vision of things get wider in a sense....

you have discussion classes that present to you all the positives stem cell research can provide... you learn that there isn't always a right answer (i know cliche but seriously...) and morals and ethics come in to play a lot...

in the past i was 100% absolutely againts stem cell research even though i acknowledged its positives, but now i'm torn... with new health problems and increasing health issues occur, why shouldn't we take advantage of our own advances in technology and medical research and benefit from them .. and continue them...

so basically im leading towards pro choice i guess....
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

science = good

it's worth noting though that the majority of the funding given to stem cell research comes from private outlets. it's the unequivocal majority too. from what i've read the amount of federal funding to now be mandated won't be anywhere near what private institutions have been donating for years and years.

the more money going into embryonic stem cell research the better though. religious beliefs and personal moralistic intent that hinder the progress of scientific advancement have no place in politics.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

I'm against federal funding.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

HAzE024 has decent reputationHAzE024 has decent reputation

The one facet of stem cell research that everyone ignores/forgets is what happens if we perfect it? It will be easy to prolong life - Kidney failure? Grow a new one. Heart Attack? Grow a new one. Drowned your liver in alcohol? Grow a new one....
No one will die ------> Overpopulation
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
The one facet of stem cell research that everyone ignores/forgets is what happens if we perfect it? It will be easy to prolong life - Kidney failure? Grow a new one. Heart Attack? Grow a new one. Drowned your liver in alcohol? Grow a new one....
No one will die ------> Overpopulation -----------> People will die.

Many present points with the assumption that we can somehow supersede the laws of nature. We can't. We can for a little while, but it will always come back to bite us. Progress is inevitable in our society; to restrict this one would just be arbitrary. The ethical implications are unconvincing. But I wouldn't worry about one day reaching the point where we're immortal or something. At this point, there are diseases that are horrible, and we can potentially cure them...... very hard to say, "hey, no, the buck stops here buddy, you can't cure that disease." It's hard to tell people that.

Last edited by Clifton : 03-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Obama didn't go far enough. The religious fundamentalist wing of the Republican Party are a bunch of idiots that should be gotten rid of for the good of the nation and even of the Republican Party, as they scare off the intelligent by forcing their Biblical interpretations (and misinterpretations) onto American government (which also constantly circumvents the seperation of church and state). The insistence on defending the rights of a bunch of embryos in a petri dish is astoundingly stupid. Not only are these cells, simply put, not real people, which have no future if they are not used in research, but they are hindering the possible creation of cures to hundreds, maybe even thousands, of diseases plaguing mankind. This argument should be over, but these uneducated zealots that learned biology in Sunday school insist on forcing their ignorance on everyone. This shouldn't even be a political issue. Educated Republicans are in agreement. It's just these religious right-wing retards that have made this truly political "science."
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
I have a solution: Shoot yourself.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

^ Reminds me of something George Carlin said, to the effect of, these guys are pro-life as long as you're not born. If you're in the womb, they'll do anything and everything for you. But once you're born, you're ****ed! Until you reach military age. lol.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

life cannot begin until the embryo has joined to the uterus. even "gods" own system allows millions of embryos every year to leave the body without the parents ever know they had formed an embryo.

so point being. if its ok for god it should be ok for us.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: