Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

Default Re: What is your stance on embryonic stem cell research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
No one will die ------> Overpopulation -----------> People will die.

Many present points with the assumption that we can somehow supersede the laws of nature. We can't. We can for a little while, but it will always come back to bite us.

So is that an agreement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I have a solution: Shoot yourself.

While that was a funny (and creative) joke, it actually is a serious issue. No, stem cells will not make humans immortal by any means, but their use would certainly throw off the current balance of things. With people ****ing like it's going out of style, many countries, including our own, are already battling overpopulation. This shift in the balance of births/deaths will just speed this up. People don't understand how scary overpopulation is. Imagine how uncomfortable life could be. It won't show itself in your lifetime, but it is scary to consider possible consequences of stem cell research. This has nothing to do with morality or political connotations, it is simply practical.
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
kentatm
NBA Legend

I say more power to it.

you wanna go religious?

well God gave us the ability to play god so why the hell not?

its not like they are growing full people and using their body parts like in The Island or anything.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
embersyc
Lurker

Considering we are talking about frozen embryos that aren't going to be used and are going to be destroyed I have no problem doing research on them. If we can develop specific treatments that help people out then I have no problem making more embryos specifically for that purpose.

An embryo is not a fetus, and its definetely not a baby. We are talking about something that merely has the potential to become human and only if its implanted into a woman.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
While that was a funny (and creative) joke, it actually is a serious issue. No, stem cells will not make humans immortal by any means, but their use would certainly throw off the current balance of things. With people ****ing like it's going out of style, many countries, including our own, are already battling overpopulation. This shift in the balance of births/deaths will just speed this up. People don't understand how scary overpopulation is. Imagine how uncomfortable life could be. It won't show itself in your lifetime, but it is scary to consider possible consequences of stem cell research. This has nothing to do with morality or political connotations, it is simply practical.
Have no fear, President Palin's war with China will cure that problem. In the meantime, I like the idea of having more effective medicines. I don't know about you, but I had always thought that the point of the health care industry was to cure people's ailments.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
We are talking about something that merely has the potential to become human and only if its implanted into a woman.
Which is why good Republicans don't *********e.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #21
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Why doesn't he just post as VCDAPTW and promote his poser fake ass right wing agenda that way.

Anyway, the more stem cell research the better.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

I apporve of this
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #23
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

Quote:
Have no fear, President Palin's war with China will cure that problem. In the meantime, I like the idea of having more effective medicines. I don't know about you, but I had always thought that the point of the health care industry was to cure people's ailments.

Right, on a personal level I would love to live a long, healthy, carefree life, but in the grand scheme of humanity disease has a very necessary and important function. As cynical as it may sound, it is natural to die, and in a timely fashion.

And for the record, those who know me classify me being between irrationally liberal and Al Gore, so don't give me any of that Sarah Palin bull****.
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #24
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Why doesn't he just post as VCDAPTW and promote his poser fake ass right wing agenda that way.

Anyway, the more stem cell research the better.
Using overpopulation as an argument against stem cell is VC-level stupidity. I could believe that.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
Right, on a personal level I would love to live a long, healthy, carefree life, but in the grand scheme of humanity disease has a very necessary and important function. As cynical as it may sound, it is natural to die, and in a timely fashion.

And for the record, those who know me classify me being between irrationally liberal and Al Gore, so don't give me any of that Sarah Palin bull****.
I could see someone calling you irrational.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #26
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper
President Obama has overturned President Bush's ban on providing federal funds to promote embryonic stem cell research on the cell lines (meaning the cells were made immortal so they would divide forever if raised with the proper nutrition in a petri dish) derived from donated embryos.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...earch-ban.html

here are some reactions:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...9/1828912.aspx

Keep in mind those reactions are from politicians or other lay people.

Read this article by a scientist/doctor

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/heart-to...-creation.html

In essence:

Obama has allowed for scientists to research on the embryonic stem cell lines created from donor embryos that have been frozen for all this time because Bush denied using them.

However, Obama has let Congress debate whether or not they would support CREATING embryos for the sole purpose of DESTROYING them and HARVESTING them. Remember, President CLINTON opposed this measure and Bush merely held it up.

Also, ESC = fail. They injected stem cells into a boy with a disease and he ended up growing tumors.

even the more promising approach of harvesting pluripotent stem cells from adult skin cells (which does NOT require destroying embryos and can also grow different cell types) may lead to cancers.

so what is your take?

I'd say

NO on ESC... not on any moral grounds but that the firestorm of controversy hampers productivity.

YES on PSC (the one NOT made from embryos)

and I don't think they will ever get anywhere with this research. It is fool's gold

I very much doubt you're telling the whole story with the cancers. I'm betting they were terminally ill, with no other real options, and they try 'experimental therapy'. Doctors don't just guinea pig healthy patients. I just wish people would stop pretending to portray **** by trying to dupe people with half truths just so they'll side with them

As for my stance i think its completely retarded for people to defend embryo's that aren't going to be born human beings. I'm also not a scientist, but from what i've read many scientists swear stem cell research will lead to many breakthrough's in medicine/science. Its the naysayers that hold us back from finding cures with their moral preachings that have always been garbage. Religion has always been the bane to the development and evolution of science/medicine, and this is no different.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #27
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

Stem Cell Research is awesome
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #28
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I had always thought that the point of the health care industry was to cure people's ailments.

not in a capitalist society.

if what you assume was true the health care industry would focus on preventative care versus disease care.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
not in a capitalist society.

if what you assume was true the health care industry would focus on preventative care versus disease care.
I'm focusing here on the scientists and doctors, not the drug manufacturers and insurers...and even the insurance companies could benefit if stem cell leads to making people healthier long-term.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Using overpopulation as an argument against stem cell is VC-level stupidity. I could believe that.

No VC is Skyscraper.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: