Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
bomber
Good college starter

Default Re: I got owned..what next

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
You spent 45 minutes writing a 3 Page Paper for a girl on the Internet who added you to her Facebook for some nude pics that you can find anywhere on the Internet for free and no effort at all?

What the ****?

You didn't read the thread.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #32
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber
Harriet Jacobs and slavery. Really quite easy. How can slaves rebel without running away?

At least it's a worthy topic.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #33
bomber
Good college starter

"Slavery in America is a permanent black mark on the countryís history. Slavery was the unquestionably one of, if not the cruelest chapterís in our countryís history. It is single handedly responsible for altering the course of history, as well as leading to future racial tensions in our society, which exist even today. The relationship between slaves and their masterís was of extremely complex nature. Some slaves were resigned to their fate, and obeyed the orders of their masters, regardless of how they were treated. The vast majority of slaves, understandably so, did not accepted being held as slaves against their will. They instead opted to rebel against the institution that had robbed them of their families, freedom, culture, and identity. These slaves played a significant hand in the abolishment of slavery, and push for equality amongst all races in America.
Harriet Jacobís story was of a slave who could not tolerate the oppression of her slave master. Jacobs change her name in the novel to Linda. Linda was a mulatto slave women, who was victimized by her slave master, Dr .Flint. The sexual and physical abuse Linda endured was horrifying, and all too common between slaves and masters. Linda eventually secretly saw a free white man, and had two children with him. Linda realized she could not simply flee from her master. Instead she subsisted in a small area above her grandmotherís barn so that she could see her children, and ultimately attempt to create a new life with her children. Lindaís story details the sheer brutality of slavery, as well as the tenacity of slave owners and resistance to change.
Unlike conventional wisdom, Linda does not simply run away to the North to avoid the oppression of Dr. Flint. She physically sacrifices her well-being and remains in the dwelling in the barn for about seven years. Many slaves took part in rebellion, including activities other than simply running away. The concept of rebellion was ever-present in a slaves life, many times starting on the trans-Atlantic voyage, or in the jungles of Africa. One example of slave rebellion at sea was the Amistad, where a group of African slaves headed from Havana overtook the ship and held the crew as captive. This stunning turn of events was one of the most historically significant acts of slave rebellion. Perhaps because it diffused the concept that blacks were inferior, or it may have been the controversy which ensued following the revolt. In any event, the slave rebellion on the Amistad proved to be one of historical significance.
Additional forms of slave rebellion existed, and were ever present on plantations. Any slave who learned to read, usually accomplished in secrecy was attacking the institution of slavery. It was common belief that in order to continually oppress the slaves, it would be important to prevent them from organizing. One way to prevent slave organizations was to keep slaves illiterate. Many slaves learned to read, either on their own or through the assistance of abolitionists. This generally was regarded as a huge success in slaves life. Being able to read and write not only allowed a slave to communicate or understand his or her surroundings, but more importantly let them record their experiences. This was clearly present in Jacobís novel, which helped shed light on the brutality of slavery. Additional authors such as Frederick Douglass, and Frances Harper were other prominent former slave writers who detailed their experiences before the end of slavery. These writings certainly contributed to the abolitionist movement, and ultimately helped slaves gain their freedom.
This sort of rebellion was effective, however at times the backlash from slave masters and overseers proved to be far worse than many could even imagine. Slaves were whipped, beaten, mutilated, and treated horribly by owners and overseers. They lived in constant fear, so any type of rebellion was done with extreme risk to oneís physical well being. Such active rebellion would create a stir amongst other slaves on the plantation. Ultimately, the slave owners would make examples of especially rebellious slaves, to deter future rebellions.
Slaves did not always simply wilt to physical violence against them. Many times they would fight fire with fire, attacking back against their slave masters. Sometimes they managed to obtain weapons, and in other cases they were able to modify farm tools into weapons. Sometimes house slaves would attempt to poison their masters to inflict illness and death upon them. At times the vast quantity of slaves on a plantation was enough to facilitate an uprising, the slave owners could not combat this type of rebellion so they countered with even stricter rules and guidelines. The relationship between slave and master was a constant battle, usually always resulting in the slaves being subjected to extremely harsh treatment, with no end in sight.
Rebellion also occurred in the form of song and dance. Many times, slaves used these means of communication to mock or insult slave masters. They also developed a secret language through song and dance, enabling them to physically escape slavery. This form of subliminal rebellion was present on many plantations and sometimes result in slaves being able to organize head north to seek freedom.
Much like Linda, many slaves felt the need to help other slaves cross into the north and seek their freedom. By earning money, former slaves could sometimes buy the freedom of their families from liberal slave owners. Also, participating in anti-slave activities, such as the Underground Railroad, former slaves were able to liberate other slaves still forced to work on plantations. The knowledge of free-slaves proved to be valuable to those still held under the hardships of slavery. Those who knew how to successfully evade slave catchers shared this knowledge and helped free their families as well as other slaves.
In conclusion, slavery in general is an incredibly horrific institution which creates extreme problems in any society. The treatment of slaves in America was particularly bad, resulting in extreme tension between slaves and their owners. Slaves constantly struggled against their owners, battling tooth and nail for any semblance of freedom they could attain. In addition to physically running away from the plantations, slaves engaged in a wide variety of creative ways to act out and cause problems for their slave masters. Many times this rebellion was met with severe consequences from slave masters, but despite the threat of physical violence, slaves continued to attack the system. The horrible nature of slavery prompted relentless acts of rebellion, until it was ultimately eliminated altogether. "

There it is, 3.5.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #34
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

You don't actually expect people to read that do you?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #35
bomber
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
You don't actually expect people to read that do you?

No I think its ridiculous.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #36
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I was thinking along these lines but I can't get a hold of her without trying to track her down and risk being labeled a creep/losing time and more money. Anybody have that cellphone # backtrack service?

then just post the pics on facebook.

you guys gotta have some mutual friends and word will get around to her.

DO IT ALREADY
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #37
bomber
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
then just post the pics on facebook.

you guys gotta have some mutual friends and word will get around to her.

DO IT ALREADY

She deleted her facebook and we had like 5 mutual friends.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #38
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
She deleted her facebook and we had like 5 mutual friends.

5 mutual friends? PERFECT

she doesn't need to see the pics to know they're there. the word will get to her. get it done.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #39
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Did she look like this...

?
hahaha

That site is awesome
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #40
Maniak
TJ Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Did she look like this...

?
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #41
shawbryant
To be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
post those pics on ISH so we can all mock the whore.
Good idea!
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #42
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Dude, what are you waiting for?
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #43
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Have you checked your newspaper for murders/suicides/abductions? Because you're a suspect now y'know.
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #44
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Many slaves took part in rebellion, including activities other than simply running away

I like how you say "activities" like escaping slavery was a hobby or something
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #45
mrpuente
pheelme?

Quit stalling on those pics.

Youre putting the ***** on a pedestal.
mrpuente is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: