Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Should we re-sign Joey Graham?

let him go. easily replacable and we just need to get rid of all the trash. flip some stones, try something new, new faces.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Joey is making 2.5 mill this year. If anyone thinks that we'll resign him for less after playing the best ball of his career you're nuts. I feel 3-3.5 mill is fine for him considering what he has given us off of the bench. When you consider Banks makes 4.5 and Kapono makes what 5.5-6 mill 3.5 for Joey is fine.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Joey is making 2.5 mill this year. If anyone thinks that we'll resign him for less after playing the best ball of his career you're nuts. I feel 3-3.5 mill is fine for him considering what he has given us off of the bench. When you consider Banks makes 4.5 and Kapono makes what 5.5-6 mill 3.5 for Joey is fine.

Yeah I think I'm alright with that. We have a 60M payroll and paying Joey 5% of the total payroll isn't that bad of a deal. He is still somewhat of an asset and can be used in trade next season. I know he's not the greatest bench player but considering our economic outlook we need as many bodies on our bench as possible. Joey's Bird rights will allow us to retain him.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:

Call me nuts DJ. The best ball of Joey career is not saying much. Hard economic times are upon us and too many NBA teams are loosing money. Who do you think wants Joey for a 3 year $10 - 11 mil contract like your saying he's worth?

I'm not against keeping him, I agree he's the one player that has gone in the paint and given and received hard fouls. But I don't see us having to pay that much to keep him.

I could see a three years $7.5 mil contract as enough.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
let him go. easily replacable and we just need to get rid of all the trash. flip some stones, try something new, new faces.

I tend to agree. He'd be pretty replaceable - I wouldn't be shocked if Colangelo swings a deal for a late 1st or early 2nd rounder in order to pick up something to take Graham's place.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #21
new noise
madvillain

Quote:

You can't just compare him to two guys who are clearly overpaid and base what he gets paid on that. If this past few months is his peak, he's worth right about what he's already making. If he feels insulted when he's offered the same 2.5 he's making right now, let him walk.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #22
SESSEL15
High School Starter

Quote:

You have to keep in mind its his contract year. I don't think half a season of alittle above mediocre play is convincing enough to give this guy 3 million a year. No way for me.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
RapsFan
Great college starter

Let the guy walk. Why do people want to use up some cap space on Joey Graham?

And comparing a dollar amount to Banks and Kapono is irrelevant.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Let the guy walk. Why do people want to use up some cap space on Joey Graham?

And comparing a dollar amount to Banks and Kapono is irrelevant.

And when he walks we're going to need to sign another relatively inconsequential player for the same price. I don't see the point when him asking $3 mill isn't exactly overreaching.

And no comparing him to Banks and Kapono is not irrelevant since my point was that they are bad contracts and him at $3 mill would not be when he provides considerable more production from them and provides solid energy off the bench.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #25
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
And when he walks we're going to need to sign another relatively inconsequential player for the same price. I don't see the point when him asking $3 mill isn't exactly overreaching.

And no comparing him to Banks and Kapono is not irrelevant since my point was that they are bad contracts and him at $3 mill would not be when he provides considerable more production from them and provides solid energy off the bench.

Banks and Kapono are sunk costs....can't change it. Graham we can avoid overpaying and having these same talks in 2 years about wishing someone would take him off our hands.

When a guy like Matt Barnes is playing for the mininum, guys like Bonzi Wells couldn't even get an NBA contract.....it shows there are lots of guys that you can get on the cheap, that are just as good or better then Joey Graham. Paying him $3 mill + would be a mistake.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Decent players like Barnes take small contracts to play on good teams. BC would have to pull off some magic to get good vets to come with a paycut.

Some alternative FA's I would like to pursue would be: James Singleton, Dahntay Jones, Von Wafer, Keith Bogans, Barnes, Ime Udoka, and Morris Almond. This is of course assuming Marion is resigned and MLE is only available.

Out of that list, I can only see Bogans and Almond signing with the Raps without being overpaid. The most efficient way for building depth IMO is buying another draft pick with the Miami money.

As far as Graham, I doubt he will take a paycut and a .5 million raise is not unreasonable IMHO. Barring the aquisition of another draft pick or somehow luring a cost effective free agent to a losing team, I think that would be the way to go.

However if you want to think positive. Although the Rap's record is in the ****ter, there is some recognizable talent on this team. Perhaps BC can convince FA's that they are not as bad as their record.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #27
RapsFan
Great college starter

Given the economic situation, teams aren't going to be offering money all over the place. Teams won't spend their MLE...you even saw that this past offseason.

I think there will be tons of guy available for smaller deals, especially since everyone is saving money due to the economy and for the 2010 offseason.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Given the economic situation, teams aren't going to be offering money all over the place. Teams won't spend their MLE...you even saw that this past offseason.

I think there will be tons of guy available for smaller deals, especially since everyone is saving money due to the economy and for the 2010 offseason.

Good point. I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up before but: why do the Raps have to give Joey and extension? Holdout potential? I'm fairly sure he's not going to be some hot commodity this summer. Either some team takes him off Toronto's hands or he stays for another year cheap.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #29
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

You have to let him walk.

He's making 2.5 million right now and he is having his best season, so he is going to be in for a raise and he aint worth 2.5 million as it is.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #30
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Let's not waste our money on Joey Graham rather we should spend it all on 1 big time free agent guard, that is why we traded O'Neil away for a rental player in Marion for 1 year ...... not to mention we throw in Moon for Free just like we gave Rasho and Hibert away for free
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: