Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH: help me choose my next hobby.

Night classes are ending for me soon, and I should be getting a better job if my instructor can flex his connections. That means more money. Now, I've been noticing that I don't really have any decent hobbies other than some casual gaming, watching a lot of movies, playing ball every once in a while, but nothing really worth while. I don't have a girl, don't really want one, so that's not going to take up any important time.

So, with that said, I've come down to two choices. Either I take up Aikido like I've always wanted to, or I sign up for a firearms training course, purchase a hand gun and have fun with that.

Obviously, the second choice is much more expensive, but It would be just as easy since there's virtually no handgun laws in New Hampshire, except for a few small forms I'd have to fill out if I wanted to carry concealed in my vehicle.

The reason I haven't signed up for Aikido, as I've been interested since high school is the quality of training. I've had a lot of friends that have taken many different forms of martial arts, plus boxing and kick boxing, and all I've ever heard from them is that how the American version of martial arts is such a pile of bull****, It's not even funny. The quality of training is awful, the tests are a joke, and the instructors only care about the money. Now, I've also have had friends that had taken martial arts in China town in Boston, and have been trained by classic insructors, masters of their domain, guys who've dedicated their lives to their craft. Those fellas have also taken the 'American' version of martial arts and those are the ones who tell me all the bad stories about 'black belts' getting their asses handed to them by first or second year guys who've trained out of China town.

I have no reason not to believe my friends, and It's not like they were isoloated incidents. I've had conversation from many different friends on the same subject, at different times, without them having the knowledge of previous conversations I've had with other friends. I'll take their word for it.

I don't live in Boston, and there's no way in hell I'll commute two hours just for that. So, my only choice is to research and try to find a legit school with a legit instructor, but how can I go about doing that? Every school I've ever gone to has the trophy rack filled up, but that all seems like a gimmick.

The only real con for choice one is the cost. The actual gun, ammunition, safety gear, cleaning kit, gun case, etc etc. I was looking at Ruger's, and they're nice, but what the hell do I know about weapons? Nothing. I don't know is Ruger is a legit firearms manufacturer, I wouldn't know where to buy one, what kind of ammunition to buy, which cleaning kits are the best, what classes I should take.

ISH, help out a brother. Help me choose my next hobby.

Kicking ass? Or shooting mother****ers?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: ISH: help me choose my next hobby.

picking up dimes
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation

Lacrosse.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Firearms training > aikido

Honestly joint manipulation and pressure points are basically useless when you're fighting someone who is trained in almost any form of combat. Aikido is not practical and doesn't work in real world situations. If all your buddies are telling you "American Martial Arts" are a joke they are definitely training in the wrong places and probably learning TKD or something similar.

If you are interested in learning a lethal and highly effective form of striking, I'd strongly suggest you study Mauy Thai. There are tons of reputable schools all over the country, I'd be willing to be good ones in your area. Not sure how interested you are in learning ground fighting or submission grappling but there are definitely good schools in your area.

If you are studying aikido to stay in shape than it's cool and serves a purpose but if you actually want to learn how to better defend yourself look elsewhere.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm pretty convinced on trying out Aikido, but thanks for the advice. Mauy Thai takes a lot out on your body and I'm not really looking for that.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

drive around town with your windows rolled down playing some old skool biggie while leaning sidewayz actin all kool and stuff

Playing other sports are fun too though. I like playing football, baseball, and the obvious basketball.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i thought drinking was your hobby
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Do some jiu jitsu. Its fun, keeps you in great condition, and gives you moves that would allow you to take and submit anyone down that has no formal training. Its a very complex fighting style and really appreciated once you get into it.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
ryantheporchkid
No Pun Intended

ryantheporchkid has decent reputation

If you want to learn about yourself, I would recommend Russian Roulette.

Happiness is a warm gun.
ryantheporchkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantheporchkid
If you want to learn about yourself, I would recommend Russian Roulette.

Happiness is a warm gun.
I've lost in this game plenty of times in the past
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

pick up piano.. I wish I would have. I'll settle with my guitar for now, but its definitely in my future plans
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My hobbies are guitar, botany, bicycles, games, computers, and my dogs.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Mississippi has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Is that from some kind of movie or something?
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

raquetball? ... i think its better competition wise because you could find players among similar level.. it does not require a lot of athletic ability (unless your talking about the beasts on it), unlike basketball... and the average joe can get pretty good at it to where playing againts somebody makes it competitive and fun....
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: