Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool
Default Anyone here into GIS?

Anyone here into Geography Info. Systems? I am currently a senior at Indiana University majoring in GIS. We use ArcGIS and other ESRI tools. Not a huge field or hobby so just seein if any of you fools know anything about it.
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Anyone here into GIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoRadja40
Anyone here into Geography Info. Systems? I am currently a senior at Indiana University majoring in GIS. We use ArcGIS and other ESRI tools. Not a huge field or hobby so just seein if any of you fools know anything about it.

I'm studying Geography and had some introduction courses for GIS where we worked with ArcGIS. I thought about specializing on it but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm a freshman studying in Germany.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

I currently work as an environmental geographer, and while I don't hold any certification in GIS I do use it in my work every day and have for like 6 or 7 years. I took some courses in it for my Masters, but they didn't teach me much I hadn't already gotten from on-the-job experience. Love the technology, there so much power in the ability to display information spatially, everything from statistics to photographs can be represented on a map or dissected geographically, it's an amazing tool.

I used arcGIS for a while, but I got fed-up with the proprietary nature of it, so I've been transitioning my whole office's workflows to open source alternatives to allow for better information sharing. If there is one thing I hate about GIS it is the plethora of data formats that don't often convert cleanly.

Last edited by kwajo : 03-11-2009 at 06:02 AM.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
If there is one thing I hate about GIS it is the plethora of data formats that don't often convert cleanly.

I here you man, I have never seen some many file formats to convey the same data. They should generalize the whole thing or atleast create a universal file system and make everyone convert their data.

I love GIS and cant wait to get out of school and get out of the insurance field (currently working as a medicare claims adjuster for Humana). I also was a topographical analyst in the Army so that is where i found my passion.
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I used ArcGIS in the summer when gathering storm systems data around the city of Austin. Is a nice nifty tool to use.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have about 24 credits in GIS and an undergrad degree in Geography. I used to be a GIS Tech in the Geology department, but I've moved away from it professionally as of late. Still have it on my home PC and use it for random projects; usually just site layout maps.

Data conversion and projection conversion suck, but it's still light years beyond what it was 9 years ago with ArcView 3.x.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: