Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Default Re: Resident Evil 5

Been playing it for the last week and this game has good replay value, you can actually unlock the unlimited ammo option and go back and have fun. There's also a glitch that you can get 90k money in a minute.
bigkingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
did they not play RE4 or something? I keep seeing this in reviews as if this is a new thing to the series. I never really had to worry about running out of ammo in RE4 b/c killing somebody would usually have them drop some ammo for me.

The ammo problems we were talking about were the earlier incarnations. For me, it was RE2 specifically.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
The ammo problems we were talking about were the earlier incarnations. For me, it was RE2 specifically.

Mathius

no no. I didnt think the ammo was a problem in the first few. I actually liked having to worry about not having enough.

While I loved RE4 I just thought it was way too damn easy to get more ammo and it really made the game a ton easier than it should have been. I would almost go as far to say that they were trying to make it more casual friendly.

I'll give you the controls were a pain in the ass on the first 3 though. Eternal Darkness on Gamecube aped the dramatic angles the first 3 REs rolled with but was far easier to control IMO. Hell of a game too. Its a must play for survival horror fans. The game had an insanity meter and would actually start screwing with you when your character got scared enough.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
no no. I didnt think the ammo was a problem in the first few. I actually liked having to worry about not having enough.

Well, like I said in my other post... I don't find it even slightly amusing to get to the end of the game and not have ANY ammo to finish off the final boss after putting in all those hours and finishing all those puzzles. And since there's a save point right there, and no indication that you're finally done with the game, you basically have to start it over if you saved there, unless you kept multiple save game files.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Well, like I said in my other post... I don't find it even slightly amusing to get to the end of the game and not have ANY ammo to finish off the final boss after putting in all those hours and finishing all those puzzles. And since there's a save point right there, and no indication that you're finally done with the game, you basically have to start it over if you saved there, unless you kept multiple save game files.

Mathius

Most games put some ammo refills at or before a boss. Some games actually put the weapon you need to kill the coming boss in that same area. Does RE5 not do that? and I mean even in a subtle way like the leftover on a fallen comrade.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #21
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Most games put some ammo refills at or before a boss. Some games actually put the weapon you need to kill the coming boss in that same area. Does RE5 not do that? and I mean even in a subtle way like the leftover on a fallen comrade.
The difference from RE4 is that instead of finding the guy who sold everything every now and then you now have a chance to buy stuff before levels or before you continue(after you've died). You have an inventory(which is only accessible at buy menu) and 9slots to fit all you want to bring into the level. Except unlike RE4 rifles and Rocket launchers only take up one slot.

You'll find that with bosses there will either be ammo on the floor that occasionally respawns or there is a special way to kill him Eg: furnace,flame-thrower...

One problem with the amount of ammo in the game is when you play co-op there isn't quite enough to go around so when i play with my mate co-op i play with a pistol and a rifle and he has a AK and a shotgun.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82

He's referring to RE 1 and 2. You could actually get to the end of the game, save in a bad spot, and then essentially be stuck, unable to beat the game.

Of course, smart people had multiple save slots... but sometimes you forget or whatever.

Personally, I prefer a balance. I player should have to monitor their items throughout the game. I don't like the ammo spawns all over the place, or ammo / guns dropping all the time.

One of the best things ever in RE 1 was running out of ammo, and still having to walk into the next room. Gamers these days just want it all spoon fed. Then they complain when it's over in 24 hours and call it "too easy".
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #23
NastaMaverick
College star

The games controls are garbage, endlessly shooting at groups of zombies is boring, and the game is nowhere near the game RE4 is.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I've been playing on and off all weekend, and I had some concerns, but I'm starting to get more comfortable now.

I'm using controller config C. I much prefer having a button as my trigger. And I like having R1 as my weapon draw, that way the whole gun is on one hand, and the aiming is on L3, so I have that hand free to adjust. That helped.
A little trick I found. The first battle they drop you in, the one with the big axe wielder, there's a sub machine gun in the right rear corner of the area. I found it the first time through, but wound up dying. The next time through, I found a good hiding spot, and waited out the helicopter there. It turns out that once the chopper shows up, the area emptys out all it's treasures (which is agrevating). So I started over, and found out that I still got to keep all my goods I'd gotten already, so you can sort of double up on stuff pretty easily by ripping through the first couple levels a second time after doing it once. This gets you both characters each gun for free. If you keep your original handgun in storage right off the bat as well, you can pick it up a second time, then sell it at the next level change.

So far it's a little more linear than I'd like. I wish I could store stuff in spots without dying or changing levels. It bothers me there's so many checkpoints where you can't go backwards from.
But as I plug along, get a little more comfortable with the controls, a get sold in a little more on the story, I'm really starting to enjoy it. I'm already looking forward to coming home from work and playing more tomorrow. That a good sign for me.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #25
biisak
Yeah, Im from Sweden

Bought mine yesterday and played all evening couch-co-op with a friend. Once you get used to the crappy controls (yes, they are crappy) we really enjoyed it and you can really work together as a team if youre into it.
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

I'm very disappointed they didn't make this game for Wii. RE4 worked so well on the Wii. It was so much fun to play with the wiimote. I don't get why game developers keep doing this.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I'm very disappointed they didn't make this game for Wii. RE4 worked so well on the Wii. It was so much fun to play with the wiimote. I don't get why game developers keep doing this.

Maybe they would.. eventually. But I highly doubt it.

They would have to re-do the game from the ground up to make it work for the Wii, being the less powerful of the top 3 consoles. I don't think that would work financially even with million Wiis out there
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #28
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan

i agree. re4 wii edition is still one of the best games released this gen.

they've just announced a new RE wii game, but it's on rails again...

i think they could make re5 happen on wii though. if they're doing things like porting the call of duty 4 engine onto wii, i think they can scale back the graphics a bit and bring on the improved gameplay the wii gave the RE series.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I really dislike this autosave checkpoint thing. I was playing last night, and ran into a couple chainsaw maniacs last night. Things didn't go so well, but I busted out the big guns and finished them off just to go through puzzle so I'd know what I was doing next time. But after killing them, I hit a checkpoint. It saved, and now I'm stuck in this spot with zero ammo. When I was saving it myself, I'd have reloaded it and been ready to take them out more efficiently. Now I think I'm going to have to go back and do a few earlier levels to try and beef up my ammo again.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #30
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Has anyone passed it yet? I can't wait to go home and continue.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: