Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
v-unit
NBA All-star

Default Can leaders be made? Or are they born?

You have the Great Men Theory and the Behaviour Theory contrasting each other-Which is right? I think leaders can be made, just like people can be made into elite basketball players if they don't have that intention (Pete Maravich/Yao Ming). They could also be born (Michael Jordan/Hitler IMO)

Can any one give arguments for only one answer to be right?
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Can leaders be made? Or are they born?

As most things in life, there is no black and white.

Therefore anyone who argues for one or the other is ignorant of reality.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Sanity
I know from experience

They are born to lead. However they must develop so maybe they aren't made but their must be a learning process.
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

You also have the interactionist theory, which is a combination of the two. Which is what most people will agree with.

There's also two types of leaders, Task and Social, they depend on the situation at hand. A task orientated leader is there to get the job done and doesn't particularly care for relationships. A social orientated leader cares more about the relationships and uses them to get the best of their players.

You've also got Prescribed and Emergent leaders. Prescribed leaders are assigned to the role by a superior, e.g. the GM bringing in a new coach. An emergent leader comes from within the group, e.g. the locker room leader.

We covered this in my sports class not too long ago.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
JayGuevara
Hellbound

People can't make a leader. Just as I can't mold you into Jay Jr. Circumstances make a leader. Everyone is equipped with a different perspective and theories. It all depends on how you handle yourself and the world around you.

I also don't believe that they're just born with some inherent Seagal gene. It all depends on you.

Some people when things look hopeless, will kill themselves. Others will give up and sink into depression and despair. Others will take motivation to succeed from it. And myself, I'd say "**** you world, I'm gonna succeed just to spite you"
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
v-unit
NBA All-star

Good responses above.

Jay-What would you say about Pete Maravich? His father used to beat him if he refused to do his basketball drills everyday?

What about Yao Ming? The gorvernment created his physical stature with hormones from an early age. Were those two great players not created?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Pete was not a leader. His father actually did him a diservice by not ever teaching him how to incorporate his talents into the team game.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Good responses above.

Jay-What would you say about Pete Maravich? His father used to beat him if he refused to do his basketball drills everyday?

What about Yao Ming? The gorvernment created his physical stature with hormones from an early age. Were those two great players not created?

And Frankenstein's Monster was created from discarded corpses. Creation of "greatness" does not symbolize leadership though. Mike Tyson was a great boxer in his prime, but no one would ever confuse him for a leader or a role model or anything of the sort.

A leader is a hybrid of charisma and action. A man can have a great agenda and plans to save the world, but if he can't get anyone to follow him, he's making minimal progress at best. And a man can have the charisma to unite the masses, but without action, he might as well be an actor, dwelling behind fake smiles and hollow promises. A leader is a lot more than being good at something. In my opinion, a real leader does not manipulate the masses for his own agenda, nor does he just say "We will weather the storm" when times get tough. A leader may not always know what he's doing, but he's bustin his ass tryin to figure it out for the benefit/best interests of his charges.

But, as stated previously, there's different types of leaders. My own personal definition of a leader could be idealistic and unrealistic, and someone else could have a definition completely different than mine.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
v-unit
NBA All-star

Ok I'm just going to shoot this out there. I have a situation I need to figure out what leadserhip style/theory will work best for it.

A new working practices regime is being introduced. Staff werew working 40 hours per week, 9-5, monday-friday, but the firm now needs greater flexibility. the blexibility will come from staff working on shift patterns covering the period 6-10, 365 days a year. the working week will be adjusted to 37 hours per week but there are no funds available for additional pay to be given to any member of staff

Can anyone help? will rep for a week straight (if possible)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
As most things in life, there is no black and white.

Therefore anyone who argues for one or the other is ignorant of reality.

this man speaks the truth, if anything ive learned in my years of philosophizing, its this ^
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese

^Hehe, trying to get ISH to do your homework.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
v-unit
NBA All-star

I just wrote an 8 page report and I'm given a stupid situation like this for bonus marks. It's really simple, I don't need answers, I need someone to explain to me HOW you answer this.

How am I going to read that and say "This theory is best applied here because..." when I don't even have a boss, or the opinions/emotions of the employees, etc?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Ok I'm just going to shoot this out there. I have a situation I need to figure out what leadserhip style/theory will work best for it.

A new working practices regime is being introduced. Staff werew working 40 hours per week, 9-5, monday-friday, but the firm now needs greater flexibility. the blexibility will come from staff working on shift patterns covering the period 6-10, 365 days a year. the working week will be adjusted to 37 hours per week but there are no funds available for additional pay to be given to any member of staff

Can anyone help? will rep for a week straight (if possible)

That would be the responsibility of the management to take the ****tier hours. Management has to lead by example. And ask for volunteers before just reassigning employees. If there's less desirable shifts with no added incentive, it should be at least be fair in who gets the short end of the stick. First, management should work them, secondly, see if there's any volunteers. If not, and it has to be done, but nobody wants to do it, rotate those shifts with the "better" shifts between the employees every other week or something. Make sure everyone is on the same page and knows when their turn to work the other shift is coming up, so they don't have prior engagements.

But, more than likely, in the realm of business, it would be the "**** runs downhill" theory, and the newest employees would be reassigned to the less desirable shifts. Or those that they think would not make a scene and just accept it.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

It depends on one's personality. I don't see how one can become a leader. Either you have it, or you don't.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Typical imbecile WC.

Anyways it's got to be primary nurture with a minor nature. I just don't see how genetics predispose someone to rise to the top aside from perhaps how attractive they are, the quality of their voice, instable emotions vs. calmness, or a simple Surname, being the first borned outta la familia?

Everythang else prob derives from your experiences growin' up. The charisma and wit you acquire from associatin' with da proper people 'round u. The love for shouting out orders (which I feel is the most dominant qualitya ll leaders share), the ability to thrive in that position thru rain and sunshine, maintaining a solid self-esteem.

They say philosopher-kings are potentially the best. Moreso than a clerical Imam or a warrior-king? What say you ISH?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: