Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

mika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputation
Default playing basketball

how many of you guys play basketball, whether it be playing to kill time or playing competitively? do you guys play everyday, once a week, once a month, etc...

i know there is a high school thread but that's not why i wanted to start this thread.

what i am wondering is for those people that do play a lot how do you practice to improve your overall game? i like to play everyday working on certain aspects like ball handling and shooting. i like to practice a lot of stuff learned from ganon baker and better basketball. after practicing knowing the stuff from these videos my shooting and ball handling has gotten a lot better + doing some vertical jump training with the help of the vertical jump development bible has helped me a lot.

also what kind of practice plan(if any) do you have laid out for yourself?

for those who don't know ganon baker, i suggest you watch some videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/GanonBakerBasketball

on a side note, it would be nice if there was a 'Basketball Improvement' forum, that could easily replace the 'Streeball' forum.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
lilmarcgasol
Banned

lilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this board
Default Re: playing basketball

I play for my university team.

However just so you know I live in London, so it's the London University basketball league.

And just so you know the competitiveness, we have great players, but our tallest guy is 6'5. he's center. I'm 6'1 and guard him in practice and play backup center. So yeh it's really not impressive being on the university team in London.

Just doing cardio and running should help, it doesn't matter how many skills you have if you are too out of shape to get down the court. I already have good handles because I used to always be guard in America, but a terrible jumper. Playing against the 6'5'' athletic beast downlow every practice is great though. Playing him I work on defensive position and low post moves and head fakes, and offensively I am better than him now and I have learned to play him strongly on defense despite the huge size disadvantage.

I don't have time to work on my jumper, wish I could though.

I guess my only advice is to play lots of games and practices against people who are bigger or better than you. and also watch players who you think your game resembles.

As I had to become a bigman on my current team, even though I'm way undersized, I started watching alot of undersized bigmen in the NBA who are effective, like Luis Scola and Al Jefferson.

Now, while my post moves are far from great, I have enough of them to be able to basically score whenever I want if I get the ball in the low post. However from the high post and beyond I am basically useless offensively.

Just play alot, and watch alot of youtube highlights of the players you think your game resembles, and try to copy the moves they do, it worked for me
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I play maybe once a week. It's starting to warm up now though so the playing time'll pick up as well; lots of bonfires and one on one tourneys against my lil posse. There's really only one guy of the 6 or so of us that gives me problems, and the kid is unstoppable. He's Billy Hoyle, no joke. Flabby 30 something whiteguy smoking a pack a day that plays me half lit most of the time, but the dude does not miss. There's a local 3 on 3 county tourney a church puts on once a week that gets pretty nice turnouts, usually a good 15-20 teams show. Me and my team plan to continue our dominance over those punks.

Far as practice goes, I don't. I'm 25, I've come to grips that with the fact I'm not going pro, don't care about improving my game anymore, just wanna have a good time.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I play all the time. My game is similar to Gerald Wallace. In fact I am Gerald Wallace.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
lil_watz
I brick open layups

lil_watz has an OK reputation so far

I play monday, wednesday, friday during my lunch at the local college against some community leaders and professors. Then after work I go to the gym on monday, tuesday, and wednesday and play to try and stay in shape. Thursday night I also play in a Church league that is pretty competative.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
NYballin
High School Starter

NYballin is considered somewhat coolNYballin is considered somewhat cool

i play ball some pick up ball at the gym in my school when i dont have any classes, in between classes, or when i dont have anything else better to do. there some good competion at my school, a lot of ballers
NYballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

yup train twice a week and usually have a game every weeken. play pick up ball outside in the summer. I train a 16 and under team twice a week and coach them too, usually once a week
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: