Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 179
BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far
Default Mullin is Go Backwards

You look at this team's recent success and you'd have to agree that Baron Davis was its main reason. Davis was the best player to be in Golden State since Chris Webber and the Warriors didn't even put a fight in trying to re-sign him. He's going to end up a Clipper for 5 years and $65M which works out to be $13M a year (averaged). Everyone assumed that Baron was going to ask for some astronomical amount but $13M is highly reasonable for a player of Baron's quality. Even if the Warriors were to offer him 5 years for $70M ($14M a year), it still would of been a good deal as he would be 35 years old when that contract expires. In the reality of basketball, a 5 year contract could easily be a 4 year contract especially with expiring contracts having such a vast appeal.

Whats done is done and lets move on, or should I say, lets go backwards. Anyone who really thinks this team, as it stands, is better than last season's is going to have a rude awakening. After 13 years, the Warriors finally put a winning product on the floor and as quick as they were to make the playoffs, that team gets torn apart. Mullin is putting so much emphasis on Ellis, the supposed future, that he'll end up overpaying a 6'3 guard that can't play the point. Name one 6'3 shooting guard that has had star impact? Iverson? He can play the point or at least defend that position. Monta can't. Dwayne Wade? He's a 6'5 in shoes. What Monta will end up to be is an Eddie House, Luther Head, Juan Dixon or Leandhro Barbosa. At best, a Jason Terry which would be nice, but not worth the contract that Monta is going to get. Whats the use anyways? In 5 years, if Monta becomes this big star player, the Warriors will dump him for cap space like they did with Richardson and in ways, Baron Davis.

Mullin's draft record has been horrendous as well since he's more drawn to projects. O'Bryant didn't work out and neither did Peitrus and Diogu. Who knows what Brandan Wright, Belinelli, and Randolph will bring but they are still year's away from really contributing. So in the near future, this team is destined to wilt into the lottery and being a permanent fixture at the bottom of the Western Conference while teams like Portland, New Orleans and every other team are striving to get better. GS only wants to get cheaper while jacking up ticket prices so they can make more money off the loyal fans. Good business idea, but bad taste.

So whats next? They re-sign Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins to bigger contracts than they are worth just to keep them as a their young core. Sounds familiar huh? Remember Dunleavy and Murphy? There's too many unknowns about both of those guys. Can Ellis play the point? As of right now, absolutely not. This team went 2-11 with him at the point the previous season as he turned the ball over more times than he had assists. His defense stinks and his frame doesn't suggest he would get much stronger to be a Cuttino Mobley type bowling ball guard and is Mobley even worth that kind of contract? Can Biedrins play defense without fouling? Thats a lot of paper to shell out for a guy that lacks any kind of offensive moves and is hardly a Tyson Chandler on the defensive end and boards. If selling tickets is more important, they should of just gotten Yi Jianlian by throwing everything they could along with the kitchen sink to Milwaukee, including this year's lottery pick.

2008-09 Prediction: This team goes 29-53 with 32 wins at most.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
BigBang
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4
BigBang has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Great Post....good read.
BigBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 20,606
bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Great post and I agree with it all.


Monta and Biedrins are going to get overpaid now that Mullin is panicking. With the remaining cap space we will overpay some other borderline All-Star and lock ourselves into another 4-6 years of bottom feeder status.


Maybe we will get lucky and land a star in the draft sometime the next decade.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon
 
KeylessEntry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 6,718
KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Quote:
What Monta will end up to be is an Eddie House, Luther Head, Juan Dixon or Leandhro Barbosa. At best, a Jason Terry which would be nice, but not worth the contract that Monta is going to get. Whats the use anyways? In 5 years, if Monta becomes this big star player, the Warriors will dump him for cap space like they did with Richardson and in ways, Baron Davis.

Good post in general, but this is a very ignorant statement. Monta is already miles ahead of House, Head, Dixon, Barbosa and Terry. He averaged 22ppg on 54% shooting this season, none of those guards are even remotely close to that.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 179
BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
Good post in general, but this is a very ignorant statement. Monta is already miles ahead of House, Head, Dixon, Barbosa and Terry. He averaged 22ppg on 54% shooting this season, none of those guards are even remotely close to that.

Thats a good point, but on the other hand, none of those other players get more than 20 minutes a game compared to Ellis' 37 per game. The Warriors are the only team that believe in small ball which is why Ellis gets those minutes. I'd love to see Ellis try and play the point, but not at $11M for the next 5 years.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Right ****ing Now!
Posts: 15,443
Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz
You look at this team's recent success and you'd have to agree that Baron Davis was its main reason. Davis was the best player to be in Golden State since Chris Webber and the Warriors didn't even put a fight in trying to re-sign him. He's going to end up a Clipper for 5 years and $65M which works out to be $13M a year (averaged). Everyone assumed that Baron was going to ask for some astronomical amount but $13M is highly reasonable for a player of Baron's quality. Even if the Warriors were to offer him 5 years for $70M ($14M a year), it still would of been a good deal as he would be 35 years old when that contract expires. In the reality of basketball, a 5 year contract could easily be a 4 year contract especially with expiring contracts having such a vast appeal.

Whats done is done and lets move on, or should I say, lets go backwards. Anyone who really thinks this team, as it stands, is better than last season's is going to have a rude awakening. After 13 years, the Warriors finally put a winning product on the floor and as quick as they were to make the playoffs, that team gets torn apart. Mullin is putting so much emphasis on Ellis, the supposed future, that he'll end up overpaying a 6'3 guard that can't play the point. Name one 6'3 shooting guard that has had star impact? Iverson? He can play the point or at least defend that position. Monta can't. Dwayne Wade? He's a 6'5 in shoes. What Monta will end up to be is an Eddie House, Luther Head, Juan Dixon or Leandhro Barbosa. At best, a Jason Terry which would be nice, but not worth the contract that Monta is going to get. Whats the use anyways? In 5 years, if Monta becomes this big star player, the Warriors will dump him for cap space like they did with Richardson and in ways, Baron Davis.

Mullin's draft record has been horrendous as well since he's more drawn to projects. O'Bryant didn't work out and neither did Peitrus and Diogu. Who knows what Brandan Wright, Belinelli, and Randolph will bring but they are still year's away from really contributing. So in the near future, this team is destined to wilt into the lottery and being a permanent fixture at the bottom of the Western Conference while teams like Portland, New Orleans and every other team are striving to get better. GS only wants to get cheaper while jacking up ticket prices so they can make more money off the loyal fans. Good business idea, but bad taste.

So whats next? They re-sign Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins to bigger contracts than they are worth just to keep them as a their young core. Sounds familiar huh? Remember Dunleavy and Murphy? There's too many unknowns about both of those guys. Can Ellis play the point? As of right now, absolutely not. This team went 2-11 with him at the point the previous season as he turned the ball over more times than he had assists. His defense stinks and his frame doesn't suggest he would get much stronger to be a Cuttino Mobley type bowling ball guard and is Mobley even worth that kind of contract? Can Biedrins play defense without fouling? Thats a lot of paper to shell out for a guy that lacks any kind of offensive moves and is hardly a Tyson Chandler on the defensive end and boards. If selling tickets is more important, they should of just gotten Yi Jianlian by throwing everything they could along with the kitchen sink to Milwaukee, including this year's lottery pick.

2008-09 Prediction: This team goes 29-53 with 32 wins at most.


no edits or anything
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
GSW1984
I airball my layups
 
GSW1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 87
GSW1984 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

Dead on Prediction Damn
GSW1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar
 
ihatetimthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 13,342
ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

I don't venture here too often but excellent post
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
1manfastbreak
just win
 
1manfastbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 707 - 415
Posts: 3,512
1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Mullin is Go Backwards

i least we don't have to pay adonal foyle any more money after this season..
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy