Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,546
Default Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer?
By Pearl Jr.

How many of you know who the best selling Black male singer in the world for 2008 was? I bet you'll never get this right, without a few clues. Well, he's 50 years old, considered washed up and too controversial to sell, plus the majority of his songs are more than 25 years old. It's Michael Jackson, who sold more than Usher, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, John Legend, and Seal. The King of Pop sold nearly as many records worldwide as the #1 best-selling artist in the US regardless of race, Lil Wayne, whose genre of hip hop lost nearly 19.8 percent in sales from the previous year. Michael Jackson's song catalog sold 2.9 million copies with Thriller 25 topping over 2.3 million by itself, plus Michael didn't even promote it and performed nowhere! Shocking isn't it! (Lil Wayne sold nearly 3 million)

Before the 1990's, it seemed one could find a million-selling Black male recording artist on other every corner, and, at least, 20 in every Black church. Today, it's becoming more and more difficult to ignore the facts that Black men are headed to the bottom of, yet, another statistical chart.

Music, the savior of the Black race, made bearable the horrors of slavery, soothed during Jim Crow racism, and bonded in segregation. This type of Black love and togetherness ushered in the perfectly pitched passion of singers like Smokey Robinson singing countertenor (a male soprano), Michael Jackson a solid tenor, David Ruffin a baritone, and Barry White, the maestro, bass singer. Even now writing this article, name after name of remarkable Black male singers come to mind like Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye, Donnie Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Ronald Isley, Al Green, Teddy Pendergrass, Luther Vandross, Jeffrey Osborne, and singing groups like The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Spinners, Stylistics, Chi-lights, Jackson 5, Earth Wind and Fire, The Moments, The Manhattans, New Edition, and Boys II Men. The list goes on and on. But today, where are the Black male singers that made Black women buy every Right On Magazine and scream with excited hysteria whenever their favorite artists appeared?

In today's world of rap music, the last solid genre created in the Black community, seemed to have seduced too many Black men wishing for their spot on the top of music entertainment fame, to speak rhythmic poetry instead of singing the melodies of love and longing.

The irony is that while the loving lyrics of Motown dominated the Black airways for decades, Black love was in bloom, and so was the growth of the music industry. Now too many Black men in the game of hip hop slop are volunteering to label Black women *****es and hos, promote criminality, excessive spending (bling), and speak of love making as purely a one night stand have contributed to the widespread decline of Black love and progress. It's no coincidence that Black love is down at the same time Black music is at its lowest levels ethically and well as financially. This decline has little to do with the recession because these declines started to manifest 6 years ago, and ringtones along with 99 cent downloads just ain't paying the bills.

Could the absence of Black male singers be correlated with the lack of decency taught in rap crap chants? Does it take the desire to love completely and thoroughly to enhance the singing style of Black men?

Throughout the history of television, there have been numerous talent shows, such as the competitions at the famed Apollo Theater and Star Search. But the last few seasons of American Idol have not produced one top Black male singer and I think Simon is in shock due to this! Season Eight of American Idol's top 12 doesn't have one Black male singer and only one Black male singer was in the top 36. Season two winner, Reuben Studdard and the like, are now extinct for six straight years. He was the only Black male winner in American Idol history.

Black men have lost their way in so many more different categories, such as low high school graduation rates, high incarceration rates, high rates of low self-esteem or undeserved self-gratification, and too many Black men are not in the home taking care of their children and not marrying their baby's mothers. There are simply prices to pay for not loving and respecting your women! Nature just wasn't meant to fail like this! Perhaps, the Black male's continual downfall spiral will be due to too much bad karma.

Have Black males lost their singing dominance with their souls and are now out of the emotional loop of wanting to give true love to a Black woman? What happened to lyrics like, "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "Just My Imagination" , "Your Precious Love", "Maybe Tomorrow", "Try a Little Tenderness", "Lonely Teardrops", "Isn't She lovely", "Love Ballad", "I Can't Help Myself", "Mighty Love", "Reasons", "Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart", "Oh Girl" and "Ooh Child". Even later group like Boys II Men released hits like "I'll Make Love to You" and New Edition's "Can You Stand the Rain" seems like those were the last true love song that touched the heart in just the right place to make herds of girls run to the record store and lay out their, many times, strapped money to experience love's possibilities through music.

Even, Michael Jackson, the best-selling artist in the world achieved his greatest heights when he was filled with Black pride and surrounded by Black people, especially his Black mother and sisters who lived at the family home with him, because all of his brothers had married and moved away. One might wonder if Michael Jackson still has Black fans. Well, as the owner of one of the largest and most successful Black-themed and Black-owned bookstores in Los Angeles (Eso-Won) told me that Thriller 25 was the best selling product in his store. Remember, the last women the world saw Michael with was a Black woman named Raymone Bain, his spokesperson.

All is not totally lost. There are a few Black male singers, but only one comes to mind. Usher, who is the last best selling new Black male singer, remains on the scene, but he is a rare reminiscent of days long past. Usher's album and song, "Here I Stand" earned him the #2 best-selling Black male singing title of 2008 because that love song exudes the unrelenting emotion every Black woman needs to hear to believe that to be loved, honored, and cherished is attainable. By the way, Usher is married to a beautiful Black woman. It's always been Black women that have purchased nearly all the recordings by Black male artists, period!

Examine the recent careers of post-platinum selling artists akon, Baby Face, Brian McKnight, John Legend, and Seal who are all good singers, but once they are found out to not chose Black women as their mates, those sales dropped like hot potatoes. No one else will have the guts to say this or ASK THIS SERIOUS QUESTION. Is it the Black woman who brings out the natural emotional PASSION in Black men or is it Black women that feel abandoned by the very artist they put in the rich house AND stopped buying their music because now it is difficult to imagine that singer is singing to directly to them? The answer to both is probably a big yes. Either way, the Black male singer is the loser in all this when he chooses to abandon the already abandoned, use the already abused, and fall prey to manipulations that tell him to be wrong is to be right.

Men are natural providers and protectors of their women, children and community, therefore, when Black men refuse to do their jobs as men, nature jumps in and creates a cataclysm of castigation. The Black race will not improve until Black men OVERWHELMINGLY take their responsibility seriously.

Even with the latest abusive disaster with singer Chris Brown against his girlfriend Rihanna, whose first albums attained platinum, one of Chris' first music videos (from his second album) shows him chasing non-Black women and even jumping over Black girls to get to a non-Black girl. The highly publicized relationship between Chris and Rihanna jump started Chris' quickly declining records sales, because sistas just wasn't having it. Now, why would Black females purchase an album from a guy who blatantly disrespects Black females like that? They don't and they won't. Chris' career will never recover from his felony charges for allegedly beating his girlfriend Rihanna-and Rihanna doesn't even realize that she does not possess enough love to save him. Rihanna's latest album has sold over 6 million copies worldwide, while Chris' latest stands around 2 million. During their heavily publicized crisis, Rihanna continues to sell, but Chris' sales are pretty much dead.

It seems to be a trend for Black men to be with non-Black women in entertainment, but much of the Black female audience is tired of trying to be racially fair when it's obvious that union is in direct contrast with Black love and the returning of Black men to their male lacking homes and communities.

This may be hard for many to hear, but it is the love between a Black man and a Black woman that unveils the often imitated, unique melodic beauty of Black music?

Yet, the Black female continues to deliver love songs at her emotional high, but Black men apparently, have done too much wrong to be righted by the God's of good singing and good fortune.

As the author of the book, Black Women Need Love, Too, at a glance one would think this manual was written for the sole benefit of Black women, not so! It is basically for the savior of Black men via love for Black women. Isn't it quite obvious by now, that not loving hasn't rendered any real long lasting cultural benefits? Rap Crap artists are the biggest losers in the music industry-they lead in deaths, incarcerations, and lost fortunes.

It was always the Black woman that supported the Black male singer, but how many Black men appreciated it? So now, it has been taken away. When will the majority of Black men realize that to not love Black women, will only deliver more massive declines.

White women have the best PR because White men demand it and realize that if they don't love their women and represent them as valuable; big declines will be the result. You see, men are innately motivated to thrive for success when they want to be loved by a woman--take that away and chaos is the consequence. Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, named his autobiography "To Be Loved" because that is what motivated him to succeed. At that time, he only dated Black women and Motown was filled with Black married couples--a correlation that supports this hypothesis.

The old divide and conquer methodology, used by the non-Black music executives who have hired too many uneducated weak-minded sell-out thug-able young Black male performers to do their dirty work, has succeeded once more. How else did despicable words like the "N" word get into Black music? Motown didn't use it, Casablanca Records didn't use it and both these companies that Black men had ownership and control of hired tremendous Black talent and made lots of money. My man is the son of music executive and part owner of Casablanca Records, Cecil Holmes, who also worked in the record business and was kicked out in the early 1990's with a group of others, because they were too nice and decent for the massive mental corruption that was on the horizon. The Rap Crap Treason Act then took full effect. Now, the Black male singer seems to be a relic of the past.

How many trick bags are we going to jump in?

Do right by Black women, and Black men will see their own lives massively improve, which is attached to the upward mobility of the Black race! Hopefully, what was lost will one day be found again!


Source: www.mediatraffic. de

Pearl Jr.
Author, Black Women Need Love, Too!
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
hito da god
look that way >>>>
 
hito da god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

the problem is black male singers don't sing like men any more. dasher put some david ruffin links up in the funk/jazz/soul thread, NOBODY sings like that any more. all these dudes today sound like bitches. "R&B" has become trash from top to bottom. even the dudes with talent sing like they don't have a drop of testosterone in their system.

btw to suggest rap killed the black male singer is absurd, i don't see how the two are related at all.

Last edited by hito da god : 03-13-2009 at 12:53 AM.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,546
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
the problem is black male singers don't sing like men any more. dasher put some david ruffin links up in the funk/jazz/soul thread, NOBODY sings like that any more. all these dudes today sound like bitches. "R&B" has become trash from top to bottom. even the dudes with talent sing like they don't have a drop of testosterone in their system.
Also, you no what's missing, CHURCH. Damn near all of the legends came from the Church, and had that SOUL in they voice. They put "elbow grease" in a performance.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
lilmorrison
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

rap didnt kill the black singer. its that stupid electronic mouth syncing s*** they do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,546
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
the problem is black male singers don't sing like men any more. dasher put some david ruffin links up in the funk/jazz/soul thread, NOBODY sings like that any more. all these dudes today sound like bitches. "R&B" has become trash from top to bottom. even the dudes with talent sing like they don't have a drop of testosterone in their system.

btw to suggest rap killed the black male singer is absurd, i don't see how the two are related at all.
I think article is getting at "everybody wanna be a rapper now." When I was in school you know how many dudes wanted to rap, all of them, hell even me. I did a few tracks back in high school. It was maybe three cats I knew who were trying to sing.

They are basically sayin' rappers are taking away the singers.

Also, rnb did start to die in the late 80s when rap was geting in the forefront.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
hito da god
look that way >>>>
 
hito da god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Also, you no what's missing, CHURCH. Damn near all of the legends came from the Church, and had that SOUL in they voice. They put "elbow grease" in a performance.
i can agree with that but i think attendance in church is down across the board, not just in the black community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I think article is getting at "everybody wanna be a rapper now." When I was in school you know how many dudes wanted to rap, all of them, hell even me. I did a few tracks back in high school. It was maybe three cats I knew who were trying to sing.

They are basically sayin' rappers are taking away the singers.

Also, rnb did start to die in the late 80s when rap was geting in the forefront.
rapping definitely took away some of the spotlight from singing but that's because rapping as an art form is still very new, especially compared to singing. rapping has been around how long? about 30 years now? compared to singing which has been around for who knows how long. when something is fresh people will always be more attracted to it, that's just how it goes.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
"R&B" has become trash from top to bottom. even the dudes with talent sing like they don't have a drop of testosterone in their system.

btw to suggest rap killed the black male singer is absurd, i don't see how the two are related at all.

the first thing i thought of was rnb did it if anything. i don't listen to it, (so i'm talking out of my ass here ) but when i think of contemporary rnb i think of a high pitched male singing over a light beat with plenty of clicking and piano noises, over and over again, it all sounds the same.

the only connection with rap is the bling era, singers seemed to also buy into presenting themselves as boss' with unlimited disposable income and jewellery.

where is the connection with the common man? thriller and beat it weren't popular because michael was wearing $100,000 worth of bling.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
ikoiko
Local High School Star
 
ikoiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,646
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer?
By Pearl Jr.

How many of you know who the best selling Black male singer in the world for 2008 was? I bet you'll never get this right, without a few clues. Well, he's 50 years old, considered washed up and too controversial to sell, plus the majority of his songs are more than 25 years old. It's Michael Jackson, who sold more than Usher, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, John Legend, and Seal. The King of Pop sold nearly as many records worldwide as the #1 best-selling artist in the US regardless of race, Lil Wayne, whose genre of hip hop lost nearly 19.8 percent in sales from the previous year. Michael Jackson's song catalog sold 2.9 million copies with Thriller 25 topping over 2.3 million by itself, plus Michael didn't even promote it and performed nowhere! Shocking isn't it! (Lil Wayne sold nearly 3 million)



Before the 1990's, it seemed one could find a million-selling Black male recording artist on other every corner, and, at least, 20 in every Black church. Today, it's becoming more and more difficult to ignore the facts that Black men are headed to the bottom of, yet, another statistical chart.


This is because of the new very diversified music industry, and new distribution methods. music stars simply don't become as big anymore as back in the day. it has nothing to do with a decline in black male singers.

Quote:
The irony is that while the loving lyrics of Motown dominated the Black airways for decades, Black love was in bloom, and so was the growth of the music industry. Now too many Black men in the game of hip hop slop are volunteering to label Black women *****es and hos, promote criminality, excessive spending (bling), and speak of love making as purely a one night stand have contributed to the widespread decline of Black love and progress. It's no coincidence that Black love is down at the same time Black music is at its lowest levels ethically and well as financially. This decline has little to do with the recession because these declines started to manifest 6 years ago, and ringtones along with 99 cent downloads just ain't paying the bills.

Could the absence of Black male singers be correlated with the lack of decency taught in rap crap chants? Does it take the desire to love completely and thoroughly to enhance the singing style of Black men?

the author is trying to portray the attitudes of rappers as something new in african-american culture. well, it is not. the hard-ass street hustler ideal has been around for ages and ages. listen to old blues records. you will find the same attitudes, the same boasting. the difference is they would never play that on the radio back then. that is why motown records were all about love and heartache, not because that was a more loving period in time, but because berry gordy wanted to sell records and make money!

Quote:
Have Black males lost their singing dominance with their souls and are now out of the emotional loop of wanting to give true love to a Black woman? What happened to lyrics like, "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "Just My Imagination" , "Your Precious Love", "Maybe Tomorrow", "Try a Little Tenderness", "Lonely Teardrops", "Isn't She lovely", "Love Ballad", "I Can't Help Myself", "Mighty Love", "Reasons", "Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart", "Oh Girl" and "Ooh Child". Even later group like Boys II Men released hits like "I'll Make Love to You" and New Edition's "Can You Stand the Rain" seems like those were the last true love song that touched the heart in just the right place to make herds of girls run to the record store and lay out their, many times, strapped money to experience love's possibilities through music.

Even, Michael Jackson, the best-selling artist in the world achieved his greatest heights when he was filled with Black pride and surrounded by Black people, especially his Black mother and sisters who lived at the family home with him, because all of his brothers had married and moved away. One might wonder if Michael Jackson still has Black fans. Well, as the owner of one of the largest and most successful Black-themed and Black-owned bookstores in Los Angeles (Eso-Won) told me that Thriller 25 was the best selling product in his store. Remember, the last women the world saw Michael with was a Black woman named Raymone Bain, his spokesperson.

at trying to portray michael jackson as having "black pride". anyone who read this part of the article, you can no longer take anything this person takes seriously. READ THE ABOVE PART! oh my god this is a weak argument. "he lived with his sisters" and "his spokesperson is a black woman" and therefore it follows that michael jackson has "black pride"? WOW.

Quote:
All is not totally lost. There are a few Black male singers, but only one comes to mind. Usher, who is the last best selling new Black male singer, remains on the scene, but he is a rare reminiscent of days long past. Usher's album and song, "Here I Stand" earned him the #2 best-selling Black male singing title of 2008 because that love song exudes the unrelenting emotion every Black woman needs to hear to believe that to be loved, honored, and cherished is attainable. By the way, Usher is married to a beautiful Black woman. It's always been Black women that have purchased nearly all the recordings by Black male artists, period!


all guesswork. this is a below sea-level argument. ridiculous.

Quote:
Examine the recent careers of post-platinum selling artists akon, Baby Face, Brian McKnight, John Legend, and Seal who are all good singers, but once they are found out to not chose Black women as their mates, those sales dropped like hot potatoes. No one else will have the guts to say this or ASK THIS SERIOUS QUESTION. Is it the Black woman who brings out the natural emotional PASSION in Black men or is it Black women that feel abandoned by the very artist they put in the rich house AND stopped buying their music because now it is difficult to imagine that singer is singing to directly to them? The answer to both is probably a big yes. Either way, the Black male singer is the loser in all this when he chooses to abandon the already abandoned, use the already abused, and fall prey to manipulations that tell him to be wrong is to be right.

Umm, so not only is the author getting kind of racist right here, she's also saying that all other black females are racist. good work there.

Quote:
Even with the latest abusive disaster with singer Chris Brown against his girlfriend Rihanna, whose first albums attained platinum, one of Chris' first music videos (from his second album) shows him chasing non-Black women and even jumping over Black girls to get to a non-Black girl. The highly publicized relationship between Chris and Rihanna jump started Chris' quickly declining records sales, because sistas just wasn't having it. Now, why would Black females purchase an album from a guy who blatantly disrespects Black females like that? They don't and they won't. Chris' career will never recover from his felony charges for allegedly beating his girlfriend Rihanna-and Rihanna doesn't even realize that she does not possess enough love to save him. Rihanna's latest album has sold over 6 million copies worldwide, while Chris' latest stands around 2 million. During their heavily publicized crisis, Rihanna continues to sell, but Chris' sales are pretty much dead.

at trying to link chris's videos to his declining sales. i don't even know i need to comment anymore. jeez.
Quote:
It seems to be a trend for Black men to be with non-Black women in entertainment, but much of the Black female audience is tired of trying to be racially fair when it's obvious that union is in direct contrast with Black love and the returning of Black men to their male lacking homes and communities.

This may be hard for many to hear, but it is the love between a Black man and a Black woman that unveils the often imitated, unique melodic beauty of Black music?

now it's just mindless drivel and i'm starting to get annoyed with the constant big B in "black" also, that last sentence is really misconstrued.

Quote:
Yet, the Black female continues to deliver love songs at her emotional high, but Black men apparently, have done too much wrong to be righted by the God's of good singing and good fortune.

As the author of the book, Black Women Need Love, Too, at a glance one would think this manual was written for the sole benefit of Black women, not so! It is basically for the savior of Black men via love for Black women. Isn't it quite obvious by now, that not loving hasn't rendered any real long lasting cultural benefits? Rap Crap artists are the biggest losers in the music industry-they lead in deaths, incarcerations, and lost fortunes.

It was always the Black woman that supported the Black male singer, but how many Black men appreciated it? So now, it has been taken away. When will the majority of Black men realize that to not love Black women, will only deliver more massive declines.

now we get to the Real point. She is shamelessly promoting her book this way. wow.

Quote:
White women have the best PR because White men demand it and realize that if they don't love their women and represent them as valuable; big declines will be the result. You see, men are innately motivated to thrive for success when they want to be loved by a woman--take that away and chaos is the consequence. Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, named his autobiography "To Be Loved" because that is what motivated him to succeed. At that time, he only dated Black women and Motown was filled with Black married couples--a correlation that supports this hypothesis.

The old divide and conquer methodology, used by the non-Black music executives who have hired too many uneducated weak-minded sell-out thug-able young Black male performers to do their dirty work, has succeeded once more. How else did despicable words like the "N" word get into Black music? Motown didn't use it, Casablanca Records didn't use it and both these companies that Black men had ownership and control of hired tremendous Black talent and made lots of money. My man is the son of music executive and part owner of Casablanca Records, Cecil Holmes, who also worked in the record business and was kicked out in the early 1990's with a group of others, because they were too nice and decent for the massive mental corruption that was on the horizon. The Rap Crap Treason Act then took full effect. Now, the Black male singer seems to be a relic of the past.

yeah, let's blame The Man for pop music trends. that's especially relevant today when anyone can pick and choose for themselves which kind of music they want to listen to, not like back in the day when you had the radio and the record store and that was it. jeezus. it's like she's never even heard of the internet.

Quote:
How many trick bags are we going to jump in?

Do right by Black women, and Black men will see their own lives massively improve, which is attached to the upward mobility of the Black race! Hopefully, what was lost will one day be found again!


Source: www.mediatraffic. de

Pearl Jr.
Author, Black Women Need Love, Too!

conclusion: what an idiotic way to squander what could have been an interesting discussion (the way rap has taken over the market of R&B). we get lies, racism, pure nonsense, and shameless promotion of some book this Pearl person has written. what complete drivel.

Kizzle, surely you do not take this seriously? I thought higher of you

(I had to edit some stuff out because my answer became to long to be allowed as a post.)
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
RomeoLuvCasanova
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 131
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Here's the thing working in the music industry, black females are not buying records. The market segment that is buying records is the white female tween/teen market and you have to market accordingly. Several black male artists who previously would not try to target that segment are trying to crossover to make the cash. The author doesn't realize that artists who only target the black female audience will peak out at about 60 - 80,000 first weeks maximum. With most falling in the 30 - 60,000 range. With labels dropping artists right and left it is best to try to be more mainstream and attempt to remain a signed artist. There are special cases like Musiq Soulchild and Anthony Hamilton amongst others that sell higher because their fanbase is older and less frequently download albums online. With the economy struggling like it is artists are trying to reach a broader fanbase. Why did you think Ne-Yo released more of a world sounding album? He can go all over the world and sell records. The music business is just that a business.
RomeoLuvCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,029
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

I've thought about this topic for a while now. My brother is a teacher/coach for an inner-city school in Cleveland and he tells me about today's 'rap culture.' It was around in '98 when I graduated high school, but not to the extent that we see today.

Rap is as much a lifestyle as it is a musical genre. I haven't really thought about it in terms of singers, but more toward musicians. Where is today's Miles Davis or Jimi Hendrix? Peer pressure has made rock and jazz taboo for a lot of these kids and, if they are inclined to play an instrument, chances are they would be laughed at and mocked by the 'thug culture' that we see in a lot of schools today.

It is pretty sad. I grew up listening to rap, but I can't help but notice the negative effects that it has had on society. Part of that, unfortunately, is the 'rap star' supplanting rock, jazz, and even R&B as a viable genre choice for these kids.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,546
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
Kizzle, surely you do not take this seriously? I thought higher of you
Naw, just seen the article on another forum and thought it would bring in some discussion.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
d-_-b
Look Of Dissaproval
 
d-_-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 469
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

it's not rap or hip-hop, it's mainstream music in general that's making my ears bleed. It seems like there is formula in every genere where you just plug in a few new words and it's considered a new track. Music was real when there was purpose behind the song love, outrage etc. Sad that most of the people I talk to about music with don't even know who Chuck D is and people are talking about black singers being true. This 50cent generation just knows the hits of today not the legends of yesteryear.
d-_-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #13
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,345
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

smoke weed everydsy
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
hito da god
look that way >>>>
 
hito da god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I've thought about this topic for a while now. My brother is a teacher/coach for an inner-city school in Cleveland and he tells me about today's 'rap culture.' It was around in '98 when I graduated high school, but not to the extent that we see today.
the culture is what is referred to as 'hip-hop'.

Quote:
Rap is as much a lifestyle as it is a musical genre. I haven't really thought about it in terms of singers, but more toward musicians. Where is today's Miles Davis or Jimi Hendrix? Peer pressure has made rock and jazz taboo for a lot of these kids and, if they are inclined to play an instrument, chances are they would be laughed at and mocked by the 'thug culture' that we see in a lot of schools today.
kids who play instrumentals would get made fun of either way by jocks or snobby rich kids at their school who frown on musicians i don't see the difference, it's just translated differently through different cultures.

Quote:
It is pretty sad. I grew up listening to rap, but I can't help but notice the negative effects that it has had on society. Part of that, unfortunately, is the 'rap star' supplanting rock, jazz, and even R&B as a viable genre choice for these kids.
i think that the responsibility is more on the listener in this case... you have hip-hop producers constantly sampling old jazz, soul, and funk records, and the rappers choose these instrumentals to rap over, so indirectly they do expose listeners to these other genres. the problem is, most listeners don't bother to look and listen that deep.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,029
Default Re: Did Rap Kill The Black Male Singer? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
the culture is what is referred to as 'hip-hop'.
Semantics... I think you know what I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
kids who play instrumentals would get made fun of either way by jocks or snobby rich kids at their school who frown on musicians i don't see the difference, it's just translated differently through different cultures.
This just isn't so, from my experience. My ex-girlfriend had a brother who was still in high school. It was an upper class high school in a suburb of Cleveland. The kid was a hippie and he and a bunch of his friends were in a jazz fusion style band. Many of their high school classmates would come out and cheer them on when they played at local festivals.

Hell... I began to turn to different music genres other than rap when I was in high school. By my junior year, I had hair down to my shoulders and was basically a full-fledged hippie. No one made fun of me and, in fact, many of the other jocks were listening to the same kind of stuff that I was into (along with rap... when it was still worthwhile).

On the other side of the coin, I've gotten to know some of my brother's wrestlers (he is a high school wrestling coach) at an inner-city school. These kids universally shun anything that doesn't talk about bling and other nonsense.

I don't know much about rap today, but a few of his wrestlers were making fun of Lil Wayne because he chose to make an album recently on which he attempted to actually play instruments. My brother told me that all his kids listen to now is Gucci Mane, whereas it used to be Lil Wayne.

It isn't even close to the same thing and I think you know what I'm talking about. I used to be a person that trumpeted the positive aspects of rap, like it was holding up a mirror so that society could see the ills of what was happening in the black community. Guys like Nas were a part of a movement, I felt, where they were magnifying problems, but not glorifying them.

These kids today are growing up hearing about nothing but bling, bangin' hoes, and shooting people. As a former supporter of the artistic merits of the genre, I believe that it has become a negative influence and I'm starting to wish it would just go away.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy