Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people
Default Roko Ukic

Is it just me is anyone else impressed from what we've seen from Roko this year? I love his aggressiveness and ability to slash to the rim. I remember when he was drafted some people were touting him as one of the best players in Europe at the time and a steal in the second round. I think he's been one of the lone bright spots on the team this year. Sure he makes mistakes here and there but he's a rookie, he'll learn with experience. He should have been getting minutes early in the season instead of Will Solomon
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Roko Ukic

Yeah hopefully he can be a good backup next year.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

He has a lot of skill, he just needs to work on consistency and getting stronger, and he'll be a very good player.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
He has a lot of skill, he just needs to work on consistency and getting stronger, and he'll be a very good player.

He eerily reminds me of Calderon's in his first season. I'm not saying he'll improve as much or as fast but even if the jumper doesn't come along as well, and his assist/turnover ratio isn't completely unheard of like Calderon's his height may end up making him a better player. Oh and also if he can defend AT ALL that could give him an edge.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
He eerily reminds me of Calderon's in his first season. I'm not saying he'll improve as much or as fast but even if the jumper doesn't come along as well, and his assist/turnover ratio isn't completely unheard of like Calderon's his height may end up making him a better player. Oh and also if he can defend AT ALL that could give him an edge.

His defense is pretty good. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but whenever Roko is on the floor we always play so well and go on a run. Then Jose/AP/Marion all get put back on the floor and the deficit gets bigger again. I don't know why Triano always messes with the lineup when the team is on a roll.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
His defense is pretty good. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but whenever Roko is on the floor we always play so well and go on a run. Then Jose/AP/Marion all get put back on the floor and the deficit gets bigger again. I don't know why Triano always messes with the lineup when the team is on a roll.

With Jose on the floor is seems difficult for the Raptors to try and run
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

He'll be a good player, he has shown the ability to blow by his defenders and get to the rim...he just needs to work on his finishing.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

he needs to be given minutes at the pg position. Our coach is doing a very bad job of that.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
With Jose on the floor is seems difficult for the Raptors to try and run

The fact that they are having a tough time running has more to do with the fact opponents have been shooting50%+ the last few games... hard to run when you have to inbound the ball every trip.

How about we give Jose another healthy year before we write the guy off? As we saw the other night vs. Detroit be is capable of playing good defense. He takes care of the ball at an unheard of level. Lets see what happens when he has a good leg for a whole year.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Quote:

I noticed that during the Detroit game. Even thought I'm one of the fans who believes we should tank the remainder of the year, it's good to see the team put up a fight and actually be in the game at the end. In the San Antonio game(although Jose was hurt), Roko was left in down the stretch and it paid off.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

If Triano gives him minutes he will become a decent back up point guard, if Triano plays Parker at the point Roko will simply become a next " What if " player ......
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
If Triano gives him minutes he will become a decent back up point guard, if Triano plays Parker at the point Roko will simply become a next " What if " player ......

Yeah, Triano should just give Ukic more minutes. This season is already over...no need to give old man parker more work.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3

For some reason I can never take you seriously, lol
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
His defense is pretty good. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but whenever Roko is on the floor we always play so well and go on a run.

Except for last night when he came in, turned the ball over on consecutive trips down the floor immediately after coming into the game (or generally whenever there's significant pressure) and ruined a run Calderon and Co. had put together.

Let's all be honest, here. Roko is young, raw, can't shoot (I mean, he really can't shoot), is prone to turning the ball over, and tends to get tunnel vision at times when he feels hot. These are all things you'd expect out of a young PG. The good thing is that we all hear he's a gym rat, so hopefully that work ethic pays off int he long run.

Not saying he won't round into form in a couple of years, but to anyone looking for a replacement for Jose next year... he ain't the guy. Don't know whos' noticed, but in the last couple games, Jose has actually played serviceable D, on 1.8 legs. Said it before, but I'm gonna give the guy one more year before I write him off.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Roko was pissed last night. After the second turnover and Jay called the time out Roko went to the bench and one of his team mates (I don't remember who it was) tried to talk to him. He brushed the team mate off and anger was in his eyes.

I liked that. Real emotion about screwing up, something we haven't seen from enough Raptors this year. He knew he screwed up and aknowledged it with his anger, and from that the young man learns.

The first year is the toughest for a european point guard, and Roko's learning curve is no diferent. I look forward to seeing him play more because he brings so many things Joses can't. This tandem are an execellent duo.

Know we just have to give them time.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: