Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: More on the decline - music or movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Good post, but if you look at just these past two years:

The Diving Bell and Butterfly
In Bruges
Dark Knight
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
Iron
Wrestler
Frost Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire
Ratatouille
Wall-E

the general dominant flicks of the year are not dwindling in quality, IMO. However the imdb Box Office says otherwise.

For the record, I'm with ikoiko and Ridonks reasoning on this one, altho I am young, stupid, naive bumbaclod so I may be mistaken en mi opinion.

But who is behind the judgment that these are great films? Do we simply believe they are because we're told that they're critically acclaimed? Would our opinions be the same without the hype and praise?

Personally, I shun the hype. I haven't seen the majority of the films you listed, because of the considerable hype about how totally awesome they were. I'll probably watch them all at a later date, and formulate my own opinions on them, but I won't go out and check for it just because it's "critically acclaimed", because I'm a pseudo-anti-conformist, and I don't give a **** about what the critics say. I didn't see The Dark Knight till it came out on DVD, and never cared what everyone was sayin about it when it came out.

The majority of the above movies got great reviews. I recall hearing the term "cinema" a lot in reference to some of those flicks. And each time it seemed to be used in an elitist tone, kinda like hip hop vs rap, the condescending attitude and claiming that the other was the dumbed down lil brother version. And I'm not a fan of the "elite" in any scenario, so that turns me off from some of the movies also. But this is all just my own personal perspective, and we all know that I'm ****ed. I just don't like being told what to do in any way, shape, or form. I'm a rebel without a cause.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #32
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
that's a decent riff but the rest of the band isn't that great. especially the lead vocalist.

Says the guy who has heard a grand total of one of their songs.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

movies. for the simple reason that there is still tons of great music being created, it just doesnt get the exposure all the corporate **** does (did you know that 5 mega corps own 90% of the music industry, all major movie studios, the major networks and all cable channels- not to mention the radio and newspaper ownership is all the same corps as well).

Good music can be found through online and real communities. movies is much harder (much more expensive to make as well).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #34
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
All you need to do is drive past a local movie theater... parking lot is a ghost town. Oh, and don't even try and play the people are too poor these days to go to the movies, 'cause that's bullsh*t.
they're not too poor. they are theives who watch online.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #35
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

if it has to be one it would be music, seeing as how 07 is considered one of if not the greatest year in recent memory for film, there have been a ridiculous number of great films over the last few years. to suggest differently is to have a lack of appreciation, to suggest different and then admit you havent even seen the films- because they were well recieved and you are an "anti-conformist" well. obviously you are just trying to make yourself look like a mentally defective ignorant anus, i wont stand in your way....

There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
the Wrestler
Wall-E
assasination of jesse james

are masterpieces

and perhaps 30-40 others are great, great films.....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #36
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

with regards to movies being on decilne cause less money is being made, thats actually the opposite, firstly the majority of good films dont draw audiences, film is art and art on its higher level is not reachable by the masses, sorry. box office takings have been on the decline since the 50's it has nothing to do with the quality of film, it is because of how much more accessible films are outside of the cinema, surely that is ****ign obvious....you people,seriously.....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #37
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
if it has to be one it would be music, seeing as how 07 is considered one of if not the greatest year in recent memory for film, there have been a ridiculous number of great films over the last few years. to suggest differently is to have a lack of appreciation, to suggest different and then admit you havent even seen the films- because they were well recieved and you are an "anti-conformist" well. obviously you are just trying to make yourself look like a mentally defective ignorant anus, i wont stand in your way....

There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
the Wrestler
Wall-E
assasination of jesse james

are masterpieces

and perhaps 30-40 others are great, great films.....
sure, but for every grea movie you listed there are at least 10 terrible ones or formulaic ones or .....

Dont get me wrong. I dont think movies are dying (the OP is off on both counts). My point in this thread was that clearly music isnt declining, its just that the companies keep heaping all the **** on the top, so you gotta really sift through it to find the gems.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
sure, but for every grea movie you listed there are at least 10 terrible ones or formulaic ones or .....

Dont get me wrong. I dont think movies are dying (the OP is off on both counts). My point in this thread was that clearly music isnt declining, its just that the companies keep heaping all the **** on the top, so you gotta really sift through it to find the gems.

Precisimente Senor Alfonso Cohol Perro!
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #39
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Music. Movies are too, but there are still decent movies around. Music has really fallen off the charts in the last 10 years or so.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #40
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Music. Movies are too, but there are still decent movies around. Music has really fallen off the charts in the last 10 years or so.

Coming from the guy who lists Savage Garden and Boyz 2 Men among his favorite bands. Nothing wrong with Boyz 2 Men btw, I just had to add a second group for emphasitical purposes lol
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #41
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwWd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdm4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zCc...eature=related

This band plays the trippiest music ever. I can be sober and some of their **** makes my head numb. lol

Too bad songs like Satan aren't on youtube. Crazy ****.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 03-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #42
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Coming from the guy who lists Savage Garden and Boyz 2 Men among his favorite bands. Nothing wrong with Boyz 2 Men btw, I just had to add a second group for emphasitical purposes lol

Don't forget Tupac, Ginuwine, and Phil Collins.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #43
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
people on OTC complaining about how bad music is nowadays is getting real old. 'specially since they're invariably the sort of close-minded types who can't accept that music genres constantly change and evolve.
I wonder this about myself all the time...

I haven't bought a music CD in years...

Today's music seems like crap to me...but saying that makes me feel like an old timer...

"they don't make it like they used to"
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjaeEsIv3lM
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #45
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Movies aren't on the decline.

Quote:

You can pretty much say that for any year. The more movies that get made the more bad movies there are going to be as a result.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: