Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
diabla
o_O

diabla is considered somewhat cooldiabla is considered somewhat cool
Default Computer Help!!! :(

Ok, so this may be a silly question for some of you but here is the dillema!

I just got a new laptop which has a wireless card. My computer at home has cable internet and no wireless router. My desktop is a piece of crap and does not have the capability of adding a router to it.

Is there a gadget I can use for my laptop that would give me wireless internet using the cable internet I have now?

Is this making sense? I truly don't know much about computers but in order for me to get a signal (and a weak one that is) I have to sit in my living room near my screen doors LOL. My room is in ther basement and I would like to set up my laptop there.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

p.s. I don't want to buy a desktop yet as I want to see if there is anything I can do with my laptop for now...
diabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Computer Help!!! :(

You can just connect the laptop to the cable modem?

Or hope your neighbors got a router and steal wireless internet from them.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you should still be able to connect the cable modem to the laptop. there are hubs as well, but since I only use verizons true wireless, im rusty on the details. but yes, you should def. be able to run your cable modem through a wireless router.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Kensta
National High School Star

Kensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected poster

Either plug the laptop directly into the modem/router or buy a wireless router.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

You're purttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... ....................

Stupid!
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

buy a cheap wireless-n router... (40-50 bucks)

plug it in for power... then plug it in directly into your laptop... NOT from the internet/wan port but from a numbered port. so for example, port #1 on the router into your ethernet port on your laptop. (routers will supply you with an extra ethernet cable)

now... on your laptop you should see that your connected to a network which you'll be able to see on your system tray (bottom right of your screen). the symbol with two monitors should be litten up blue rather than having an X over them.

at this point you will be connected solely into your router and not actually the internet because there is no internet line into the router YET. we are just connecting to the router so you can setup the wireless network on the router.

from here, you have to go to your router setup page... all u do is open a browser (internet explorer/firefox) and go to the address: http://192.168.0.1
that address is defaulted for d-link routers, not sure if its the same for all other routers, but you can always check your documentation.

now the next few steps u might have to figure out on your own.. because the router setup page i dont remember off the top of my head, but they are generally user friendly with both manual configurations and wizard setups.

the main thing you want to do is make sure you create your wireless network. give it a name and you should put a password on it it to... try to use wpa2 encryption. this is usually minimum 8 characters (letters or numbers)

you can check to see that your wireless network is up and running usually by checking the wireless signal light on your router or the status page on your router setup site. furthermore, if you have your wireless enabled on your router and you click view wireless networks, you should also see your wireless network name in the view wireless networks window.

after you set the wireless network up and have it up and running. you can unplug the router from your laptop, and unplug the router's power from the wall.

now go plug your router into the wall beside your modem and connect the internet/ethernet cable from your modem into the internet/wan port on your router.

at this point, wait a minute or so, then on your laptop you should be able to see your wireless network, and connect to it with the password that you setup (if you did set one up). now you will not only be connected to the router, but you will also be connected to the internet because the modem is plugged into the router and feeding it an internet connection.

i know i typed alot, but it generally is an easy procedure. it is MUCH quicker than using those dumb setup/wizard cd's that the router companies supply you with.

and also, i typed it out like this because you said you have a cable modem. if you had DSL by chance, you may have an extra step involved in which you would have to input your ISP username/password (PPPoe) into your router settings.

hope this helps
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
diabla
o_O

diabla is considered somewhat cooldiabla is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
buy a cheap wireless-n router... (40-50 bucks)

plug it in for power... then plug it in directly into your laptop... NOT from the internet/wan port but from a numbered port. so for example, port #1 on the router into your ethernet port on your laptop. (routers will supply you with an extra ethernet cable)

now... on your laptop you should see that your connected to a network which you'll be able to see on your system tray (bottom right of your screen). the symbol with two monitors should be litten up blue rather than having an X over them.

at this point you will be connected solely into your router and not actually the internet because there is no internet line into the router YET. we are just connecting to the router so you can setup the wireless network on the router.

from here, you have to go to your router setup page... all u do is open a browser (internet explorer/firefox) and go to the address: http://192.168.0.1
that address is defaulted for d-link routers, not sure if its the same for all other routers, but you can always check your documentation.

now the next few steps u might have to figure out on your own.. because the router setup page i dont remember off the top of my head, but they are generally user friendly with both manual configurations and wizard setups.

the main thing you want to do is make sure you create your wireless network. give it a name and you should put a password on it it to... try to use wpa2 encryption. this is usually minimum 8 characters (letters or numbers)

you can check to see that your wireless network is up and running usually by checking the wireless signal light on your router or the status page on your router setup site. furthermore, if you have your wireless enabled on your router and you click view wireless networks, you should also see your wireless network name in the view wireless networks window.

after you set the wireless network up and have it up and running. you can unplug the router from your laptop, and unplug the router's power from the wall.

now go plug your router into the wall beside your modem and connect the internet/ethernet cable from your modem into the internet/wan port on your router.

at this point, wait a minute or so, then on your laptop you should be able to see your wireless network, and connect to it with the password that you setup (if you did set one up). now you will not only be connected to the router, but you will also be connected to the internet because the modem is plugged into the router and feeding it an internet connection.

i know i typed alot, but it generally is an easy procedure. it is MUCH quicker than using those dumb setup/wizard cd's that the router companies supply you with.

and also, i typed it out like this because you said you have a cable modem. if you had DSL by chance, you may have an extra step involved in which you would have to input your ISP username/password (PPPoe) into your router settings.

hope this helps

ur the best ;)
diabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation

I want to be the Queen of ISH.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Sanity
I know from experience

Sanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation hereSanity has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness
I want to be the Queen of ISH.

Did u ask Catz? Lol
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh man.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: