Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #16
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default Re: Kobe's play

lol you don't have to buy it bleedin just my opinion...

in all the years he's been a laker he's never given me pause.. does he have bad games you bet every player in the league does, does he make a bad decision now and again, yep, they all do..

does he coast yes he does, 82 games is a long season and with the playoffs round the corner real soon it's time for the players to begin getting ready, the schedule doesn't stop and give teams rest, players/teams have to take it on the fly when they can and where they can and sometimes that's during a game...
when you're atop the standings and the spurs are getting fainter everyday, now is the time to coast, take a quarter off here, don't give 100% but instead give just enough to get the job done, let others carry the load for a quarter here and there...

every year we hear kobe has lost this or that, can't jump as high, lost a step and on and on.. the guy has a billion miles on his legs, and if he needs to cruise a few games against mediocre teams so be it... the facts are they have a great record and despite all the worries by us fans all season about the defense or the system they have out played our wildest dreams.

kobe knows himelf as a player better than anyone, he's probably more intouch with his body then anyone else, phil knows how to coach a team as well as anyone. he's probably more intune to what shape you want a team to be in at the end of the season, the lakers have played a hard season, it has not been a cake walk to be where there are now...

don't forget, it doesn't come easy for the lakers, they are the most marked team in all of sports, nobody wants to beat the lakers as bad as the other 29 teams in the league do...

i'm going to bet that when the playoffs roll around all the talk of poor defense, lack of killer instinct lack of mental toughness will be gone.. will they win it all who knows, there's alot of good teams in the league capable of winning it all if they catch fire at the right time, but we have as good a chance as anyone
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

^... hmm, i am not going to break down that analysis, but i did see some things that i respectfully disagree. im just too impatient with myself to type them all out.

as for the long season, it was a clearly noted direction of the team to have the home court advantage all the way to the finals... are you suggesting that it is now okay for them to let up and take a breather before they start focusing again? just asking?????

yes, we will all cheer for the lakers during the playoffs, but they will not get a title if they cannot figure out this behavior of theirs. its unhealthy for a title contending team as games are lost because of it.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
^... hmm, i am not going to break down that analysis, but i did see some things that i respectfully disagree. im just too impatient with myself to type them all out.

as for the long season, it was a clearly noted direction of the team to have the home court advantage all the way to the finals... are you suggesting that it is now okay for them to let up and take a breather before they start focusing again? just asking?????

yes, we will all cheer for the lakers during the playoffs, but they will not get a title if they cannot figure out this behavior of theirs. its unhealthy for a title contending team as games are lost because of it.

let me ask you this, is homecourt so important that it's worth burning out for? the team has how many games on the road remaing vs the cavs heavy home court schedule? they gave it a good shot, they almost pulled it off but there comes a time when the staff and players have to say it's time to get ready for the playoffs and stop killing ourselves for something we probably won't be able to get anyways..

the cavs are basically unbeaten at home and most their games for the rest of the season are at home...

boston is out of the picture and we have the tie breaker on them (and the cavs) should we end up with the same record and meet in the finals

the spurs are prepping for the playoffs now resting players up, we basically have the west sewn up barring a major laker collapse

thecavs will have a tough playoff with having to go through boston or orlando, both teams that give the cavs fits....

the chance of the lakers meeting the cavs in the finals is not guaranteed, we have to get there and so do they so how important is home court over one team that we may not even meet vs. hitting the playoffs rested?

edit: you have to remember i'm the guy that doesn't think the cavs will make the finals...i think we already have home court sewn up as long as we tie the celtics or finish in front of the magic

Last edited by gts : 03-21-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
let me ask you this, is homecourt so important that it's worth burning out for? the team has how many games on the road remaing vs the cavs heavy home court schedule? they gave it a good shot, they almost pulled it off but there comes a time when the staff and players have to say it's time to get ready for the playoffs and stop killing ourselves for something we probably won't be able to get anyways..

dude, don't ask me or anyone here that question... it is the lakers organization that set that objective... im just the messenger...lol

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #20
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Very interesting to read everyone's thoughts. In my opinion, it is safe to say that the Lakers will have HCA throughout the first 3 rounds at least. If we get to the finals and meet Boston, we'll still have HCA (there's no way they are catching up to our record now). If we meet the Cavs, we might lose HCA. I'm okay with that, I think we need home court to beat Boston, not Cleveland. They just get one bonus game at home...if we can't steal at least one game on the road, we're not a championship-caliber team. Granted Cleveland has an incredible record at home but lets not forget that we were the team to hand them their only home loss this season. That should give us confidence.

At this point, I'd rather see the players take it easy and get ready for the playoffs. Some of them look exhausted lately. There's no guarantee that Bynum will be back 100% for the playoffs which is why I hope we don't wear out Kobe, Gasol or Odom by playing them too many minutes for meaningless games against competition that we won't see in the playoffs. Yes we need to win these last few games to go into the post season with momentum but we also need the guys to be fully rested and healthy.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
That's what I was thinking too. When he tries to go for individual glory his game tends to suffer. That's one reason why he has struggled in the Finals. If Kobe just played basketball the results AND individual accolades would come.

How can you be so sure the results and individual accolades willl come? Can you please elaborate on this? I am not saying you wrong, I just want more insight on your beliefs regarding this.

Also, what does it mean when someone says he is "forcing it" and not playing basketball?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #22
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

ummmm. Kobe's play.
he is still trending the wrong direction at a time when the Lakers should be peaking.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
ummmm. Kobe's play.
he is still trending the wrong direction at a time when the Lakers should be peaking.
not going to judge by todays game... flu and a sprained ankle on the road..probably just a bit too much for him to overcome with shear will... plus with everyone else sucking so bad today hard to point a finger at anyone
Old 03-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
not going to judge by todays game... flu and a sprained ankle on the road..probably just a bit too much for him to overcome with shear will... plus with everyone else sucking so bad today hard to point a finger at anyone

yeah. wasn't talking about all the others...just Kobe...our leader. Sounds like he is not feeling well.

nonetheless, except for one good game the other night, he has not been playing well.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #25
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
yeah. wasn't talking about all the others...just Kobe...our leader. Sounds like he is not feeling well.

nonetheless, except for one good game the other night, he has not been playing well.
you know what i'll still contend he's just using this part of the season to coast and will crank it up soon enough....

i can see where some folks would be worried and you maybe right

but i can remember this exact same discussion last year and the year before or some version of it... i guess for me it would take a season of lackluster play to have me start to worry about kobe's game...

he's older and wiser now (hopefully) he knows he can't go flat out every game or for a full season... the problem we see is (imo) i don't think kobe can play as well when he's not going for the throat, he losses a little of the edge that makes him so dangerous. i think a content kobe is not as scary as a pissed off kobe or a kobe that has a challenge in front of him

but as i have said before even a kobe playing at 80% is still a kobe that better than 95% of the league

Last edited by gts : 03-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #26
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

maybe playing in the olympics has took it's sole

However I know Kobe will be at his best for the playoffs.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #27
Lakers73
I airball my layups

I too have noticed his lack of intensity. It could be he is fatigued with playing in the Finals, then the Olympics, then Preseason.

I just hope the Lakers can blow some of these teams out so he can get some rest time on the bench.

Don't worry Laker fans...we'll be ok! Never underestimate #24!!
Lakers73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

can you hear me NOW?

11 for 28

the good news is that we now know Kobe and staff are keenly aware of his poor shooting over the past 15 games. hopefully he will come out of this slump prior to playoffs.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

It is very strange. I don't know what it could possibly be.

Maybe he now has way too many injuries to be 100%?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #30
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

the spurs are prepping for the playoffs now resting players up, we basically have the west sewn up barring a major laker collapse

thecavs will have a tough playoff with having to go through boston or orlando, both teams that give the cavs fits....

the chance of the lakers meeting the cavs in the finals is not guaranteed, we have to get there and so do they so how important is home court over one team that we may not even meet vs. hitting the playoffs rested?

edit: you have to remember i'm the guy that doesn't think the cavs will make the finals...i think we already have home court sewn up as long as we tie the celtics or finish in front of the magic

I don't disagree with your points. I for one don't see the Cavs advancing esp I don't trust their big men to step up and deliver in the clutch. But you mentioned the Spurs resting Duncan, same with Boston now with GArnett, I hear a sportscaster 710 am nights, suggesting to Phil to simply shut down Kobe and rest up. Why bother then? I for one.. eheemm again would really like to see Pau gets some too. nope, no need to revisit that argument tho.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: