Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Antonio Davis tribute

Say what you want about this guy's personality, character, his comments about the city of Toronto and all that stuff but in terms of his on court play, it speaks for itself. The guy wasn't a superstar, but he was a workhorse. He was undersized but relentless on the boards, he put in his work, and always gave a maximum effort on the court. He also turned himself into a pretty solid midrange shooter. I appreciate what he brought to this team during the time he was a Raptor and I wish we had more players that brought it the way he did.

bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Default Re: Antonio Davis tribute

Davis would have been nothing if not for the influence of the Greatest Raptor of All-time, Charles Oakley.

kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Oh I loved Oakley as well. One of my all time favourites, along with:

Alvin Williams (my personal favorite) and Jerome Williams

Last edited by bokes15 : 03-23-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

I think that Oakley's impact on that team was bigger than people think. He was the heart of that team, he demanded toughness from all of his teammates and the attitude was contagious. We don't have anyone like that anymore and it shows. If Oakley had been on the Raps during Bosh's first 3 or 4 seasons, I guarantee he would be a lot more aggressive as an offensive and defensive player than he is now.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

It's almost painful to think about having someone like Oakley on the team. A real hombre that would hold people accountable on his own team, and law down the law if opponents got too frisky.

I would love it if Coangelo find a way to add to some real grit to the team. If they have to trade Bosh try and get a package like Tayshun Prince/Maxiel/ and picks instead of going for some flasher scoring guard that plays no D. Then draft a 2 that can create his own shot and close out games.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

^^ I like both Tayshaun and Maxiell but that would be a terrible trade.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

I would love if BC could pull off Bosh for Gay/Gasol +fillers + a 2nd rounder.

Calderon/Ukic/Banks
Gay/Parker
Marion/Pops/Graham
Beastnani/Hump
Gasol/filler

and whoever we get in the draft.

Last edited by lilbeastnani : 03-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^ I like both Tayshaun and Maxiell but that would be a terrible trade.

It's does seem a little thin...but I couldn't figure out who else add. The only guard on that team that I'd want is Rip, and that seems like asking for too much.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
It's does seem a little thin...but I couldn't figure out who else add. The only guard on that team that I'd want is Rip, and that seems like asking for too much.
That's why I don't really see Detroit as a viable trading partner unless they were willing to completely gut out their team.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

Detroit wants Bosh though.....you never know. Could actually be a great trade partner.

As for AD....I certainly was a fan, but that guy missed more 5 foot jumpers then anyone I have ever seen. Could be Reeeeeeeeeeeealy frusturating.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Detroit wants Bosh though.....you never know. Could actually be a great trade partner.

As for AD....I certainly was a fan, but that guy missed more 5 foot jumpers then anyone I have ever seen. Could be Reeeeeeeeeeeealy frusturating.
But do you remember all the 15-18 foot jumpers he and Oakley were making in the playoffs? As well as the monstrous amount of offensive rebounds. Those were two underrated factors. As for Detroit wanting Bosh, I wouldn't take a Tay/Maxiel/15-16th pick for him. I would probably take a Hamilton/Prince/Maxiel/pick combination for him and Banks... but it doesn't seem like something they would do unless they were desperate. Especially when they can just wait it out until 2010 and make a run at him with their cap space.

Last edited by bokes15 : 03-23-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
I would love if BC could pull off Bosh for Gay/Gasol +fillers + a 2nd rounder.

Calderon/Ukic/Banks
Gay/Parker
Marion/Pops/Graham
Beastnani/Hump
Gasol/filler

and whoever we get in the draft.

I would do it.. asking too much? Maybe.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
But do you remember all the 15-18 foot jumpers he and Oakley were making in the playoffs? As well as the monstrous amount of offensive rebounds. Those were two underrated factors. As for Detroit wanting Bosh, I wouldn't take a Tay/Maxiel/15-16th pick for him. I would probably take a Hamilton/Prince/Maxiel/pick combination for him and Banks... but it doesn't seem like something they would do unless they were desperate.

That's asking WAY too much. It would be nice if it happened though. Dumars doesn't get hustled too often.. only when he deals with the Nuggets.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Getting a player like Pops is a step in the right direction. We need a Biedrins type centre on this team to put beside either Bosh or Bargnani. Can't have both your post players jackin jimmys all game with no toughness or rebounding down low. Recipe for disaster.

Maybe Oak, Davis, Olajuwon, Clark and Willis will all come out of retirement and save this team for mediocrity. Oh wait.. too late for that.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
But do you remember all the 15-18 foot jumpers he and Oakley were making in the playoffs? As well as the monstrous amount of offensive rebounds. Those were two underrated factors. As for Detroit wanting Bosh, I wouldn't take a Tay/Maxiel/15-16th pick for him. I would probably take a Hamilton/Prince/Maxiel/pick combination for him and Banks... but it doesn't seem like something they would do unless they were desperate. Especially when they can just wait it out until 2010 and make a run at him with their cap space.

Bokey, you and I clearly value Bosh differently but you cannot in all honesty think that ANYONE in this league values Bosh that highly? Take off your homer goggles for one second please. And there's no "probably" with that move you make it and hope that it goes through before whatever drugs Joe was on when he offered it wear off.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: