Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Earl Clark

Earl Clark Top 10 pick and his probably the most upside ...... comparisons are like Danny Granger, Carmelo Anthony type players.

Athleticism is off the chain and jump shot is getting a lot better, he reminds me ALOT like Tyrus Thomas except that now Tyrus can't shoot for beans ......

If Clark can develop a nice jump shot ( Which he is starting too ) he would be one of those special Small Fowards that we have in the league .....
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Earl Clark

One of my favourite players to watch.

He should be fine in the NBA, he's got incredible length and great athleticism. I've said a few times, that he'll most likely start off his career at SF, but as he gets older and gains a bit more weight, he should move to the PF position.

I don't think Granger is a good comparison. The only real comparison I see, is that they both are long, even though Granger is only about 6'7, whereas Clark is 6'9. Granger is a better scorer and isn't as turnover prone as Clark. The only thing that Clark has Granger beat in, is rebounding.

That being said, Clark is a very versatile player, he can get to the rim pretty easily, when he tries, due to his size and length. He's a fairly good passer and should look to play the high post a bit more, where he can really shine with his passing and his shooting. People think he needs to develop a low post game, but it doesn't suit his game, playing in the high post would be more beneficial for him and the team he plays for.

His shooting does need improvement, but his shot selection should develop as he gets older and gains experience in the NBA.

He does look good in Pitino's style of defense. He knows where to be and what to do in a full court trap and in a zone. Though, I think he might struggle in the NBA to defend a guy like Lebron or Melo, who will just over power him.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
One of my favourite players to watch.

He should be fine in the NBA, he's got incredible length and great athleticism. I've said a few times, that he'll most likely start off his career at SF, but as he gets older and gains a bit more weight, he should move to the PF position.

I don't think Granger is a good comparison. The only real comparison I see, is that they both are long, even though Granger is only about 6'7, whereas Clark is 6'9. Granger is a better scorer and isn't as turnover prone as Clark. The only thing that Clark has Granger beat in, is rebounding.

That being said, Clark is a very versatile player, he can get to the rim pretty easily, when he tries, due to his size and length. He's a fairly good passer and should look to play the high post a bit more, where he can really shine with his passing and his shooting. People think he needs to develop a low post game, but it doesn't suit his game, playing in the high post would be more beneficial for him and the team he plays for.

His shooting does need improvement, but his shot selection should develop as he gets older and gains experience in the NBA.

He does look good in Pitino's style of defense. He knows where to be and what to do in a full court trap and in a zone. Though, I think he might struggle in the NBA to defend a guy like Lebron or Melo, who will just over power him.

If he doesn't develop a jump shot he will be EXACTLY like Tyrus Thomas! Both are 6'9 and are freaks when it comes to athleticism, except that Clark are a developing jump shot right now, lets just hope he can continue to improve on that unlike Tyrus Thomas who is a crappy shooter ....
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been saying this for a while now, but I have a feeling this guy is going to disappoint people, but it'll be unjustified.

Personally, I love him. He's got a great all around game. He's already a better shooter than Tyrus Thomas, and even if it never fully develops, he's still got a huge advantage as a ball handler and passer. Plus, he's rediculously long. I know he's listed at like 6-9, but I really think he's going to outmeasure that because he's got an enormous wingspan.

The thing is, he doesn't have that go to mentality at all. He plays an exceptionally well rounded team game. It's a great approach, but it's not what people want when they take a guy in the top five of a draft. He'll be a much better fit on a good team than a bad one, and will probably be more well recieved after leaving the team who originally drafts him because he won't be burdened by the expectations of changing the franchises fortunes. It's not unlike the personality that made people wonder why Rasheed Wallace wasn't Tim Duncan for so long, and it's why Wallace is such a great building block, but not really a franchise guy, in spite having some of those skills. He reminds me a lot of Derrick McKey, who in his youth had some similar expectations.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think he is the perfect example of why this isn't considered a great class. I think Clark will be a long-time player who will do a lot of great things, but will never be a star player, and I think that comes from the simple fact that I don't think he will be much of a scorer. Rebounding, defense, some scoring, and a guy that plays within the team's game plan are going to be his strong points.

I think he would fit in well with the Nets, Pistons, and Suns who should be picking in his draft range. Really I think any team would be happy with a guy like him, and I would say the same about his teammate Terrance Williams.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

I see more a bigger wilson chandler than a granger type- I'm not a huge earl clark fan, but I think his selling point is the athletisism to cover the 2 and 3 at his size- I sure don't see what makes him a pf type player besides the magic 6-9 number, the guy is a wing- for sure more of a 2 than a 4
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me

eprizzle14 has an OK reputation so far

I think he's going to be a top 5 player in this draft class when it's all said and done. He'll be some what like a bigger Al Thorton with some moments where he looks like Lebron. But his coordination, quickness, ballhandling and D cannot contest the king
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
I see more a bigger wilson chandler than a granger type- I'm not a huge earl clark fan, but I think his selling point is the athletisism to cover the 2 and 3 at his size- I sure don't see what makes him a pf type player besides the magic 6-9 number, the guy is a wing- for sure more of a 2 than a 4

The Wilson Chandler comp is interesting, because I think Dantoni is the perfect fit for him. He'll jump right in at the PF, and that scheme will play to all his strengths, and somewhat overlook all his weaknesses. He'll be able to rebound and beat other fours down the floor. He can shoot well enough to spread the floor, and his ball handling will break down PFs. His problems would be his post defense, but Dantoni's not going to hold it against him like some other teams would.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: